• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  1

The way I see it and I admit, I’m not a genius; BUT, the PAC teams can drop the dead weight for the AAC and MWC, take the best schools and create the 5th best conference, the auto CFP spot and leave room for the ACC adjustments in n 5-10 years. They don’t have to pack the conference now, more money to go around, nobody else is going to come. They could keep a 12 team conference, a new media contract, scheduling flexibility to have an additional G5 team scheduled every year and if they keep 4 or 5 teams in the top 25 and win a couple CFP games, they will have a great chance of keeping the auto spot when voting comes up again. It’s a fresh start and there are just enough “good” schools to have an interesting and competitive conference. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

You would actually be reducing the number of programs competing for upper tier athletes. There are certainly enough top-level QBs coming out of high school to find 54 decent starting QBs. You are comparing the NCAA to the NFL as if the level of play is equivalent.  

why arbitrarily cut off at 54? why not go to 108?

The reason they don't just take over the acc and big 16 now is because they don't want all 63 teams in their league.

not only would the quantity dilute the product quality but the revenue splits would be lower. simple economics

we probably don't make the cut but neither does ucf or the other undesirables from big 16. nor does most of the acc.

heck fsu was publicly begging for an invite and got crickets.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,783
  • Days Won:  3

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

WoolyBully was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 10 points.

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

During USF early days in Div 1AA they had great attendance. It was the people that brought into the program. They never really cared about being left out. They kept their hope and was happy to see USF have a football program.

Well, during the early days, football was the shiny object at USF. But let's not forget, it was always about onward and upward...IAA, I-A independent, Conference USA, Big East...see the progression. Always upward. There was no concern about being 'left out', because there was no consolidation effort for comparison. Just getting INTO CONFERENCE USA was huge, enormous deal.  I don't remember anyone saying, 'Oh no! This is a mistake! We should have stayed I-AA and kept playing Drake and Valparaiso.". But, the clock has ticked since then and the name of the game is still onward and upward. Only this time around, there are gatekeepers with considerably more muscle. It's not 1997 anymore, it's a whole new ballgame. But...in the interest of fair play, I'll still leave the 'so what if we're in the AAC for twenty years' question out there. Are we still 'just happy to have a program'? :FIREdevil:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Would you think this has any impact on future investment?

It should. As another poster pointed out in another thread, according to the Board docs USF was already assuming best case scenario in their forecasted projections. 

At this point the USF admin needs to pull a Constanza and do the opposite of what they would normally do. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

20 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

why arbitrarily cut off at 54? why not go to 108?

The reason they don't just take over the acc and big 16 now is because they don't want all 63 teams in their league.

not only would the quantity dilute the product quality but the revenue splits would be lower. simple economics

we probably don't make the cut but neither does ucf or the other undesirables from big 16. nor does most of the acc.

heck fsu was publicly begging for an invite and got crickets.

We don't know the response FSU received, especially given the uncertainty with their GoR. All of this is driven by ESPN/FOX and, to a lesser extent, CBS and NBC, and they will have the ultimate say in what college football becomes.  I just view the financial model a little bit differently than you do. The SEC and B1G are already at 34 teams combined. Over the course of the next decade, there are likely to be programs in the Big 12 and ACC that see an increase in their stature. I could easily see 5 or 6 teams from the ACC and 5 or 6 from the Big 12 being deemed good enough to move up when all of this ultimately shakes out. Would have to also include Notre Dame. There will need to be more of a Mountain and Western presence. That would result in 45 to 47 teams. Sure, they could jettison some of the dead weight, that may happen, but that would really only entail Rutgers, Northwestern, and Vandy. I just have a hard time envisioning a scenario where they don't have at least 44 teams in those two conferences. None of it matters though. Time will tell. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454

6 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

. Are we still 'just happy to have a program'? :FIREdevil:

I’ll take the bait. For me, no. I’ll move on. Getting a taste of what a big time football program could be (in the late 2000s), reset my baseline expectations for better or worse. Coupled with the fact that we are dealing with this rent-a-player nonsense, I see little to no appeal. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

20 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Well, during the early days, football was the shiny object at USF. But let's not forget, it was always about onward and upward...IAA, I-A independent, Conference USA, Big East...see the progression. Always upward. There was no concern about being 'left out', because there was no consolidation effort for comparison. Just getting INTO CONFERENCE USA was huge, enormous deal.  I don't remember anyone saying, 'Oh no! This is a mistake! We should have stayed I-AA and kept playing Drake and Valparaiso.". But, the clock has ticked since then and the name of the game is still onward and upward. Only this time around, there are gatekeepers with considerably more muscle. It's not 1997 anymore, it's a whole new ballgame. But...in the interest of fair play, I'll still leave the 'so what if we're in the AAC for twenty years' question out there. Are we still 'just happy to have a program'? :FIREdevil:

When I was young
I never needed anyone (in a specific conference)
And playing football was just for fun
Those days are gone

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347

20 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

At this point the USF admin needs to pull a Constanza and do the opposite of what they would normally do. 

I think they used the Constanza rule when they decided to invest in the IPF and stadium.

Edited by USFBULL_08
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I think they used the Constanza rule when they decided to invest in the IPF and stadium.

Well then they did it wrong

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,399
  • Days Won:  10

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

When I was young
I never needed anyone (in a specific conference)
And playing football was just for fun
Those days are gone

All by myself. Don't want to be all by myself anymore.