• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SMU Marketing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  811
  • Days Won:  1

Heard a lot during the game about SMU trying to become Dallas college team. Tagging themselves to Dallas. Placing billboards in suburbs with players photos trying to become the hometown team. 
Should USF do this to Tampa Bay (Champa Bay)?  We need a much bigger local following. 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Lots of USF signs all over the river walk downtown. Not sure how putting “Tampa” on jerseys would be with UT existing but I’m not opposed

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

14 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Lots of USF signs all over the river walk downtown. Not sure how putting “Tampa” on jerseys would be with UT existing but I’m not opposed

Need to use "Tampa Bay" ....

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

27 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You know what is good for marketing ... winning

What’s that? Do they sell it at Costco? We need a case of it or more ASAP 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

If it helps, do it! But I am not so sure this has worked for SMU. The crowd there looked pretty light (according to Jim Louke on radio as well) and this was for homecoming and the team on the verge of being ranked. SMU has the same issue relative to the popularity of other in state universities and pro sports nearby.  USF still needs to win games and this is more important than what name is on the jersey. Maybe marketing research says some differently. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

41 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If it helps, do it! But I am not so sure this has worked for SMU. The crowd there looked pretty light (according to Jim Louke on radio as well) and this was for homecoming and the team on the verge of being ranked. SMU has the same issue relative to the popularity of other in state universities and pro sports nearby.  USF still needs to win games and this is more important than what name is on the jersey. Maybe marketing research says some differently. 

Doing no research to back up my claim, but winning is the number one thing needed to make people think you're going to win. And people spend infinitely more dollars on winning teams than losing teams. That also is backed by no research. 

• Go Bulls! 1

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Doing no research to back up my claim, but winning is the number one thing needed to make people think you're going to win. And people spend infinitely more dollars on winning teams than losing teams. That also is backed by no research. 

100% correct on that. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

41 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

People whine about the community not supporting USF and it could be a way to maybe prompt some of the home team vibe. Like most things in sports, though, it’s not what you’re wearing or where you’re playing, it’s about winning ……. unless you’re SMU apparently. 

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

People whine about the community not supporting USF and it could be a way to maybe prompt some of the home team vibe. Like most things in sports, though, it’s not what you’re wearing or where you’re playing, it’s about winning ……. unless you’re SMU apparently. 

I am not convinced that people will come out in droves even if we are winning. There are so many factors that come into play (much of which has already been discussed ad nauseam)

Edited by NewEnglandBull