• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF could be picking up a nice little check tonight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

32 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There's a huge difference between not being satisfied until it's achieved and throwing out solutions not based in reality ..... You excel in the latter.

Yes, because asking a football coach to coach and recruit and not just cash paychecks while he waits for a better job is unrealistic, and asking a basketball coach to run a competent half court offense, not crap his pants late in games and not allow racist behaviors on his staff (allegedly) is unrealistic.

Gotcha. If your bar for success was any lower Trip it'd be a rug. But at least we are cashing checks on the coattails of our conference mates! 

Edited by bjef4844

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Place was so peaceful while bry "forgot" their password 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,407
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

Exactly, but I don't think I had unrealistic expectations for our 2 highest profile programs:

Football - I had zero expectations in 2020 based on what Strong left Scott. My only complaint last season was play calling and time management in the Temple and Memphis games, but also realize these coaches are learning their jobs on the fly, and last year was a great year to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. My 2021 expectation is 4-8 due to a pretty tough schedule and remaining uncertainty at the QB position

Men's Basketball - My expectation for the 2020-21 season was an NCAAT appearance or deep run in the NIT, of which the team fell woefully short due to:

• Gregory not being able to blend a less-than-100% Yetna, Murphy and Tchewa back into the returning group
  • The Covid pause occurring as the team was playing some of its better basketball
  • The defense taking a HUGE step backwards
  • Gregory continued poor X's and O's (half court offensive scheme, late game management)
  • Shuffling of players off and on the court, like Durr coming out when he is playing well and not in foul trouble (this was a common complaint of Gregory back at Dayton where he wouldn't let offensive players get into a rhythm because he fell in love with running "hockey lines")
  • Underlying player dissent

My 2021-22 expectation would have been what I expect for any Year 5 coach - an NCAAT appearance, but with all the defections and Gregory still being at the helm a .500 conference record looks pretty good right now.

Any success we have in any of our non-revenue generating sports is gravy. While I aspire for USF to achieve greater heights than that, I don't think any of that is unrealistic.

I guess the underlying discontent is even at the bigger well established NCAA tournament teams as well.  Syracuse just had 3 players enter the portal, and UF has 5 that I think that are leaving this years team.  Heard the number is over 1000 players in the portal which is an average of 3 per team.  Since this was a free year I think everyone wants to be a free agent and recruited all over again.  ITs not looking like we were a program that was running a sinking ship like has been speculated

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

ITs not looking like we were a program that was running a sinking ship like has been speculated

If they were leaving to test free agency then I would agree, but most of the transfers are leaving due to racist comments by Herrion and Gregory's failure to hold him accountable in the eyes of the players. Throw in that this same coaching staff hasn't been able to field a competitive team in conference in 4 years, and I'm not sure what other horrific things you would need to happen to the program to consider it a sinking ship.

So are Florida, Syracuse, Indiana, Penn State, Duke, Pitt, Minn, T Tech, WV all programs that have at least 3 players leaving all sinking ships as well

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, bcgruber said:

I guess the underlying discontent is even at the bigger well established NCAA tournament teams as well.  Syracuse just had 3 players enter the portal, and UF has 5 that I think that are leaving this years team.  Heard the number is over 1000 players in the portal which is an average of 3 per team.  Since this was a free year I think everyone wants to be a free agent and recruited all over again.  ITs not looking like we were a program that was running a sinking ship like has been speculated

White has never graduated a player and his entire 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes have transferred out.

Lets throw in Seton Hall, Xavier, Georgia, WF, Kentucky, Wisconsin, T A&M, Miami, BC, K-State, Nebraska, ASU, Utah, Washington St.  Its a transfer problem

Edited by bcgruber
additional info

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

If they were leaving to test free agency then I would agree, but most of the transfers are leaving due to racist comments by Herrion and Gregory's failure to hold him accountable in the eyes of the players. Throw in that this same coaching staff hasn't been able to field a competitive team in conference in 4 years, and I'm not sure what other horrific things you would need to happen to the program to consider it a sinking ship.

Link to this please

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Link to this please

It’s out there... paywall...in 3,2,1....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

Yes, because asking a football coach to coach and recruit and not just cash paychecks while he waits for a better job is unrealistic, and asking a basketball coach to run a competent half court offense, not crap his pants late in games and not allow racist behaviors on his staff (allegedly) is unrealistic.

Gotcha. If your bar for success was any lower Trip it'd be a rug. But at least we are cashing checks on the coattails of our conference mates! 

You and puc are more alike than I had realized (no offense, puc). Just endlessly typing crap, building those straw men, fighting those windmills.

Your last two posts have nothing to do with the point I was making. It's got nothing to do with the expectations of a coach or a bar being set and everything to do with the way the real world actually works and how your solutions are fantasy based. CBG was not going to be fired this year based on performance and unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances, college football coaches are not fired after 2 years. Your seriously advocating those things was/is just plain ignorant and/or just attention wanting histrionics ........