• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TAMPA BAY: HOME OF THE CHAMPION'S

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I guess it depends on the University culture, how much they value athletics, and the type of player you recruit more than anything else.  Some kids would prefer to be in a small town University where College Sports are the only game in town and College life rules.  Others would prefer the City life, the bright lights and where there are lots of things to do including attending Pro Sporting events.

UCLA and USC come to mind as teams that do pretty well and are pretty popular in the big City of L.A.  Last I checked, they have every sports imaginable and there are lots and lots to do there.

Other schools like the ones located in Champagne, IL or Corvallis, OR.......don't seem to do very well almost ever.

Not sure how much your argument holds water.  The Miami Hurricanes were super popular for a long time when they were really good, and that's Miami......not Tampa.

Interestingly when Miami was good the only sport in town were the Dolphins. So the pro competition did not have that depth that Tampa does now. In terms of USC they were more relevant when the NFL was not in LA for over 20 years. UCLA is an afterthought now. But I get what you are saying. I do believe that Tampa pro teams having a great year will have little to no bearing on USF football success. It really is two different markets and our competition is confounded by the other three top universities in the state. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

7 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

If you look at history, the Bucs and Lightning won championships before USF mania took over the city.  Maybe this will happen again?  Maybe there is a mystical sports vortex energy thing (portal) over Tampa Bay.

sure ray donovan GIF by Showtime

Guest Jonesy Bull
53 minutes ago, SittingBull said:

I went to many games at Yankee Stadium, Ebbets Field ( one of the best ballparks to see a game) and The Polo Grounds.  I was a Red Sox fan, but most of my friends were Yankee, Dodger, or Giant fans.  Can’t recall any ever switching from one to the other, except possibly when the Giants and Dodgers abandoned them, and went to California.  I imagine some became Mets fans when they arrived on the scene.

You just dated yourself my friend.....not that there is anything wrong with that.  I'm getting older myself and it ain't fun.  But its just the circle of life and how you treat your body and your mind.

I feel bad for any city and their fan base to lose their teams.  It sucks and it breaks people's hearts.  So far I haven't had to experience that, but I hear that there is that real possibility with the Rays.....but I won't believe it till I see it.. For one thing, I can't see this whole ridiculous Tampa Bay/Montreal split season deal.  And where else are the Rays going to go.  Despite the attendance figures and what they tell you on TV, the team is making money, has a big percentage of eyes on the TV to watch the games (so there is interest), and the team makes money from the Cable deals and such, don't let them fool you.

Guest Jonesy Bull
47 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interestingly when Miami was good the only sport in town were the Dolphins. So the pro competition did not have that depth that Tampa does now. In terms of USC they were more relevant when the NFL was not in LA for over 20 years. UCLA is an afterthought now. But I get what you are saying. I do believe that Tampa pro teams having a great year will have little to no bearing on USF football success. It really is two different markets and our competition is confounded by the other three top universities in the state. 

All good points, especially about Miami.

The only way it could possibly hurt, is there are only so many Sports dollars to go around in a city/cities in the Tampa Bay area.  With all the teams good (yes even the Rays), there is only so much disposable income to go around.

USF has to give the Tampa fans a reason to want to go spend the money and go to their games.  Being in the AAC and a history that is up and down at best, and more on the poor side recently.  With the pandemic, economy and the other Tampa teams doing well, its a perfect storm right now (in a bad way) for our Bulls.......That could change quickly though.  Start winning games next year, pull off an upset.  Get the Basketball team to be NCAA worthy.  People will take notice around here, I truly believe.  It has happened before.

Your last statement about Florida and FSU especially has the biggest impact imo.....until we get P5 status and become relevant again on the big stage......Huge IF.

Guest SittingBull
4 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

You just dated yourself my friend.....not that there is anything wrong with that.  I'm getting older myself and it ain't fun.  But its just the circle of life and how you treat your body and your mind.

I feel bad for any city and their fan base to lose their teams.  It sucks and it breaks people's hearts.  So far I haven't had to experience that, but I hear that there is that real possibility with the Rays.....but I won't believe it till I see it.. For one thing, I can't see this whole ridiculous Tampa Bay/Montreal split season deal.  And where else are the Rays going to go.  Despite the attendance figures and what they tell you on TV, the team is making money, has a big percentage of eyes on the TV to watch the games (so there is interest), and the team makes money from the Cable deals and such, don't let them fool you.

I’m 80...an age that you probably won’t reach.   When I was your age I was running marathons.  I

I could care less if all the Tampa teams left and went to New Hampshire.  
I was a Charter Season Holder, the best thing I ever did was quit buying them after Culverhouse said he didn’t care if people showed up or not (early ‘80s).  Haven’t watch an NFL game since (in person, or on tv).

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,534
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, puc86 said:

No I actually see them as stifling my USF first agenda and I full on hate them and actively root against them. The community gave the Bucs a stadium for no apparent reason, built on taxpayer dollars and then we get to pay rent to them and have them profit from any success we may have while we get to also pay the lightning to have failing marketing. The Tampa sports world is a feudal one where we are the only serfs. USF would be better off not competing for the same resources and subsidizing the haves, I wish they would all make good on their promises and actually leave for once. They provide no value to USF and actively remove value.

I legit thought they were shipping out marketing ideas that college students came up with.....

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

USC AND UCLA ARE big in la.they are not an after thought. when both a good usc will get 90-100k in the coliseum and ucla will fill the rose bowl

MY FAMILY owned a bar by usc.isnt it ok if i rooted for them as well as  usf?

29 minutes ago, smazza said:

USC AND UCLA ARE big in la.they are not an after thought. when both a good usc will get 90-100k in the coliseum and ucla will fill the rose bowl

UCLA has not been good in a generation and SC has not been good in almost 10 years. All those resources and they can’t perform...pretty sad. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

30 minutes ago, smazza said:

Don't you have a love affair with Rutgers as well?  Or am I thinking of the wrong person on here?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

Congratulations to all the local pro sports teams! Its been a welcome distraction from a pretty awful year. Imagine if you live in Boston, New York or Detroit.

Women's basketball is probably our best hope for USF success this year that people have awareness to. I know this isn't anatomically correct but Go Lady Bulls!