• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Gap Between USF and the Orlando School

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Typical response from someone who can't think outside their cubicle. 

"Fire everyone" ... . such forward thinking ........

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Since 2012, UCF is 71-32 and that includes an 0-12 season, while USF is 52-52. During that timeframe UCF has increased its athletic revenues by over 50% while USF is up 1%.

And UCF has won 5 of the last 7 games in the series.

That is shocking. It shows how bad our football program has been handled. 

Have we spent more on coaches over that period?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

The gap between USF and UCF isn't that big talent wise the issue why they are so much better has been coaching since Frost was hired.

In the last 4 years these are the rankings of the rivals recruiting classes 

2016        ND = 13   USF = 70     UCF = 57

2017        ND = 13    USF = 69    UCF = 53

2018        ND = 11     USF= 58     UCF= 67

2019        ND = 14     USF = 65    UCF = 52

avg           ND=  13     USF = 65    UCF=57

As you can see we aren't even close to ND so no shock how a game with them will turn out but we aren't that far away from UCF...which confirms that below avg recruiting and bad coaching = a really bad product on the field.

So this is a good thing for the AAC with some good coaching I think we can become competitive pretty quick within this conference with the right system.   

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

One of the biggest flags with strong was the fact he couldn’t beat Kansas in his 3rd year at Texas. One could say that loss cost him that job. Had he won Texas might have kept him but once he lost that game his fate was sealed

Guest Jonesy Bull
14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree it could be similar to today as well

Over reaction Sunday.

We were crap yesterday no doubt.  But there is a lot of football to be played.....well maybe not if we have many more FAU situations.

Im still confident in CJS improving our team week by week.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Over reaction Sunday.

We were crap yesterday no doubt.  But there is a lot of football to be played.....well maybe not if we have many more FAU situations.

Im still confident in CJS improving our team week by week.

But that is a large ask against ucf as they will improve as well

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

9 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Great points, but recruiting rankings are tertiary metrics at best.

Over 1 year...over 4 years though...especially in the 50' yo 60's range the difference isn't great...that negated your investment thread comparing us to UCF...their investment hasn't helped their recruiting or their ability to retain coaches...so...

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

10 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I'm simply quoting the man himself on Fowler Avenue, that our fans have unrealistic expectations that we will be able to compete with programs with an athletic budget $20M - $30M bigger than ours.

Is he wrong?

According to the data at hand yes...unless he was comparing us to P5 competition...which in that case he is correct...but that would be a captain obvious statement...

36 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I'm simply quoting the man himself on Fowler Avenue, that our fans have unrealistic expectations that we will be able to compete with programs with an athletic budget $20M - $30M bigger than ours.

Is he wrong?

Solution?

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

Several and it all goes towards focusing on the denominator and not the numerator:

1. Articulate, make widely known and advertise a vision, beyond talking points on the day you are hired 2 years ago (even Mark Harlan had a strategy deck), that will galvanize and energize students, alumni and the Tampa Bay community - this has been non-existent

2. The university administration needs to supplement the athletic budget until we achieve a level equal to our conference peers, or make the decision to move back to FCS to better align with our resources

3. Expand the donorship pool of former alumni beyond the <1% that exists today - he's complained about this but hasn't moved the needle

4. Expand the donorship pool of non-alumni and businesses through grass roots efforts and getting himself and everyone in the athletic program out to the entire region - trying being visible outside a 10 mile radius of campus

5. Be an effective leader in shaping the future of the conference so that all members, including USF, can benefit from increased revenues

6. Eliminate sports programs that are a drag on finances and funnel those dollars and resources into football and men's basketball

I'm sure if my full time job was to think of this - like an AD, I could come our with a laundry list of solutions and bake it down to a one page strategy map that included:

• Vision Statement
  • Measures of Success
  • Strategic Priorities
  • Tactical Priorities that support the Strategic Prioirities

...and I would get that into the hand of every resident and business in the 7 counties that make up the Tampa Bay region and all alumni. And then I would be on TV, radio and any other medium promoting that vision like I was Tony Robbins selling everyone on why they need USF in their lives and how they can make a difference.

Grow the pie or go back to FCS.

I am all for these and I suspect 99% are on this board. If you are trying to mobilize then you are in the wrong place as most of us give to athletics in one way or the other. Again, you are preaching to the choir.