• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Gap Between USF and the Orlando School

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  483
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I'm simply quoting the man himself on Fowler Avenue, that our fans have unrealistic expectations that we will be able to compete with programs with an athletic budget $20M - $30M bigger than ours.

Is he wrong?

Pretty sure a significant portion of this gap comes from much more revenue generating opportunities from their stadium. The offset, I think, is evident in their higher expenses (to operate the stadium) and debt service on said stadium. You would need to strip out the stadium impact for a true 'apples to apples' comparison. That being said, I don't think we have done as tremendous of a job generating revenue/donations as we could be doing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

14 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

You crack me up. As usual you're missing the bigger point.

The point is you're accusing him of something that you have no clue is true or not at this point ...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

The biggest difference between USF and the school on I4 is commitment and consistency.  They made the decision a while ago to compete at the highest level of college football and committed the resources to try and make that happen and it’s reflected in their player development even with similar recruiting rankings to USF.  The administration on Fowler has echoed the same words but has not backed up the rhetoric.  I do believe Kelly is trying to change that but the jury is still out.  It’s 2020 and we still have no idea when we will break ground on an IPF.  Yes I get the fact that the pandemic has stalled the process, but we were behind even before the pandemic.  

As far as consistency, they have had a singular vision since Frost stepped on campus.  They are going to be an aggressive fast paced spread offense and they have been recruiting to those principles for years and when it came to find a new coach they found one to continue to the vision.  Now on Fowler Ave, since Taggart stepped on campus, we’ve had 5 different offensive schemes and recruiting has been lazy at times and all over the place.   That’s no way to build a foundation for long term success.  Hence the huge gap between us and them.

I believe CJS can right this ship but it will take a 100% all in commitment from the President on down.  Hopefully we have that now.

With that said, I’m not sure how much more losing this fan base can take.  Judging by those posting on TBP we’re down to small group of die hards.

Go Bulls!

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

I have more than a few clues. Keeping a cancer around for one extra year, even when you knew it was killing your program, just to save money is despicable. Until we rank in the upper third of this conference in revenues (and learn how to spend it wisely), we will need to rely on the CJL's of the world to compete regularly in this conference.

Keep trying to go off topic, bry, you're definitely awesome at it. You said he hasn;t moved the needle at all with alumni as far as donations go, despite the fact that donations doubled, and you can't back it up.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

The biggest difference between USF and the school on I4 is commitment and consistency.  They made the decision a while ago to compete at the highest level of college football and committed the resources to try and make that happen and it’s reflected in their player development even with similar recruiting rankings to USF.  The administration on Fowler has echoed the same words but has not backed up the rhetoric.  I do believe Kelly is trying to change that but the jury is still out.  It’s 2020 and we still have no idea when we will break ground on an IPF.  Yes I get the fact that the pandemic has stalled the process, but we were behind even before the pandemic.  

As far as consistency, they have had a singular vision since Frost stepped on campus.  They are going to be an aggressive fast paced spread offense and they have been recruiting to those principles for years and when it came to find a new coach they found one to continue to the vision.  Now on Fowler Ave, since Taggart stepped on campus, we’ve had 5 different offensive schemes and recruiting has been lazy at times and all over the place.   That’s no way to build a foundation for long term success.  Hence the huge gap between us and them.

I believe CJS can right this ship but it will take a 100% all in commitment from the President on down.  Hopefully we have that now.

With that said, I’m not sure how much more losing this fan base can take.  Judging by those posting on TBP we’re down to small group of die hards.

Go Bulls!

I agree with your vision the data suggests this has little to do with money and everything to do with never having a united direction. Our hires are capricious and allowed to forge their own path each and every time.
Every dollar we spend is squandered because every couple of years we completely pivot directions and then make excuses about how making those changes are for long term success that will never come.

We need to pick a strategy that has a hope at long term success and then every action, every hire and everything we do should be in accordance with those core principles. We have not decided who we are and let that be determined by whoever happens to find themselves on staff at that given moment.

We invented a recipe for a constant rebuild and excuses when we should be looking for how to bring stability to our situation, throwing more money at the problem only allows us to squander more.

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Not sure if you read it - or again you continue to ignore facts that don't support your narrative -

My narrative has been pretty clear on the one simple point this discussion started on and you keep trying to move the goal posts back to your rambling on:

3. Expand the donorship pool of former alumni beyond the <1% that exists today - he's complained about this but hasn't moved the needle

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

So when the donorship was doubled last year, where did it come from?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

We suck now, but we will get better and eventually have success.

This is true, and if it isn't - WOW!

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

As for donorship, this might take some time or generations with some nostalgia to come to fruition.  I can remember graduating high school right when we first announced the football team.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Not being disrespectful but who gives a sh--.

I dont care anything about them until game week.  Yes they are good  We know that.  Lets concentrate on cleaning up our own house first. The rest will take care of itself.

I get that but I for one will be shocked if we beat them. We just don’t have the talent yet. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Its not my job to preach. I have my own business to run that generates alot more that $50M a year. As an executive I can tell you that we have gaps that are primarily communication and strategic driven.

You can't save your way to growth.

Awesome...so you post to hear yourself think? Good lord you must be in sales....

Edited by NewEnglandBull