• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well we won’t have this guy to kick anymore

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

Fennelly lost his forum to troll and bash USF?

D-JojtfWkAADMGM.jpeg

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like the times needs to get rid of it’s pension plan

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, usf97 said:

I worked for the Times back in 98'-99'. I recall telling my manager that one day in the future the internet was going to kill off most of the newspapers. 

He was like, no, people are always going to want to have a physical newspaper in hand. 

were you guys still chiseling into stone tablets back then or had the quill and parchment come out by then???  

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, BulledOver said:

were you guys still chiseling into stone tablets back then or had the quill and parchment come out by then???  

LOL It doesn't seem that long ago but it was a very different time. 

The Tribune/Times war was probably near its peak right then. The St. Pete Times was very much trying to increase its circulation in Hillsborough County. The internet first became sort of "mainstream" in 1996 but was very slow and you got disconnected all the time so most couldn't imagine getting most of their news and info from it. 

It reminds me of how different the 50's & 60's sounded to me as a child hearing my parents talk about it. Its the same way now comparing pre-internet and pre-smart phone eras to today. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

20 minutes ago, usf97 said:

LOL It doesn't seem that long ago but it was a very different time. 

The Tribune/Times war was probably near its peak right then. The St. Pete Times was very much trying to increase its circulation in Hillsborough County. The internet first became sort of "mainstream" in 1996 but was very slow and you got disconnected all the time so most couldn't imagine getting most of their news and info from it. 

It reminds me of how different the 50's & 60's sounded to me as a child hearing my parents talk about it. Its the same way now comparing pre-internet and pre-smart phone eras to today. 

Right, I kinda don't blame him...the technology just wasn't there yet and wouldn't for a number of years on a scalable level 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

I think heas sadly wrong about "always" but until we dinosaurs go completely extinct, there will still be a shrinking market ...

As far as Fennelly goes, he was good at what he did but, again with the Internet, there are plenty of places to find people spouting their opinionated takes on things for free. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere ...

The paper is outdated as soon as you receive it and my parents (and my wife’s as well)are the only people I know that still receive one.   I remember finally being able to fax in my opinions to the tribune vs. sending a letter, I thought we had really hit the peak of technology.  I never cared for Martin but don’t really wish ill will against anyone (except of course UCF, Eagle fans, FSU, liberals and occasionally Calibull).  Hope he lands on his feet.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Regardless of the man’s opinion, it’s sad that people are losing their newspaper jobs.  These are people with families, bills, and etc...

Unfortunately, the newspaper industry contributed significantly to their demise, by giving the paper away on the internet then trying to charge for it after it was free, bad business.   They have also lost their cash cow classifies and advertising.  It’s time for all newspapers to go digital, paper is dead.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

12 hours ago, usf97 said:

I worked for the Times back in 98'-99'. I recall telling my manager that one day in the future the internet was going to kill off most of the newspapers. 

He was like, no, people are always going to want to have a physical newspaper in hand. 

I worked in the sports department at the SP Times 1994-96. Also worked - briefly - with Fennelly at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune before he went to the Tampa Tribune. He could be brilliant one day and awful the next. He was always a very inconsistent writer. That said, he wrote one of the most entertaining columns I’ve ever read when I was in Sarasota. He covered a visit by the Harlem Globetrotters and wrote a column in the style of a game story. It was hilarious and was a take I’d never seen before - brilliant idea and execution. Best of luck, Martin.

• Upvote 1