• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone still think Ray Jay is our stadium?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

So the fact that they would only pay if the Planchards stopped litigation is valid?

The point is that you are claiming the money wasn't there but there was based off of what they were able to pay the coaching staff. GOL was making 2 million dollars per year in 2008. Another question, did they do anything to GOL for this incident?  Its not about whether or not he "targeted" Ereck, he had an easily diagnosed blood disorder and no one on that field cared that he was struggling and staggering or even thought it was a problem. You can idolize and stand up for whoever you want, but find me one article arguing that UCF has done anything to handle this situation in the right way......Don't worry, i'll wait. 

That's typically how awards work. When the lawsuit is over. The Plancher's continued to fight until the Florida Surpeme Court decided not to rehear the case then UCF paid what they were legally responsible for. Just because you think UCF should have paid $10 million doesn't make them morally culpable, that's just your opinion. I raised the point that FSU most likely paid the Darling's (also several years after the fact, and gee - also died from a disease that was easy to test for) more than what they were legally responsible, because they have more discretionary income due to athletic affiliation; not because they are morally superior somehow. I have no idea what UCF had in the coffers when the jury voted to give the Plancher's $10 million and neither do you. And bringing up that UCF had other expenditures as evidence that they some how stock piled all this cash literally does nothing to further your point.

Regarding the sickle cell trait, if the staff knew first hand that he had sickle cell trait and the overexertion of training caused him to collapse - I can guarantee there would have been criminal charges filed. There weren't. Did they mishandle the situation when he was clearly having an adverse reaction to the workout? Of course. However, one of the players is quoted saying something to the effect that "if you didn't throw up during practice, you weren't practicing hard enough." So there were probably times where people passed out due to the brutal heat and tough workouts and what Ereck presented with wasn't out of the norm per se and may have been confused with just another person passing out. This is where the tragedy is and we dont have enough details of who knew what and when that person reacted to definitely pass judgement.  

Make no mistake, there are very few fans who idolize George O'Leary despite what he has done for the program.  I agreed that the situation for the Plancher's sucks but it's not about what is "right" or "wrong", it's about what was legally decided in the courts to which UCF has followed through. 

I get it. Your program has nothing to show for it, so the only thing left is to try and nit pick any little thing you can including using a player's death as evidence. However, that's just bush league and incredibly disrespectful to the family and has nothing to do with what is happening now or the game coming up this Friday.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  6

31 minutes ago, Knight_Light said:

Washington is located just 6 miles from the Seahawks NFL Stadium yet they choose to spend almost $300 Million to UPGRADE their college stadium.

Same thing USC is doing as they are spending $300 Million to upgrade the LA Coliseum that they own now instead of playing in the new $1.5 Billion NFL Stadium that will be located just 7 miles away.

Houston built a new 40,000 seat on-campus stadium instead of moving to the beautiful NFL Stadium just 3 miles away.

Ga Tech continues to upgrade their historic stadium vs move to the $1 Billion plus Mercedes Benz Stadium just a few miles away. (Heck, Ga State moved out of the "old NFL Dome" and instead of moving to the new NFL dome, decided to renovate old Turner Field instead).

Cincinnati spent almost $100 Million upgrading their on-campus stadium instead of moving to the very modern NFL Stadium for the Bengals just a stones throw away.

Stanford and Cal both spent Hundreds of Millions of $$$ to upgrade their on-campus Stadiums instead of joining the 49ers in their new one.

Heck, its funny because usf fans mention this stadium more than most but Univ of Minnesota moved OUT of a NFL Stadium and turned down an offer to join their new one...and instead they built a beautiful $280 Million on-campus stadium instead.

Weird...all of those college teams spent billions on their one stadiums, even though they have a NFL Stadium nearby....so maybe those schools KNOW something about the long-term impact that on-campus football means to their student body, alumni and maybe more important, FUTURE student body and future alumni.

Game, set, and match

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, Meeps said:

it's not about what is "right" or "wrong",

exactly and whats disrespectful is brushing it off. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

5 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Sadly, Ereck  Plancher did not need to die, and the Cal player 2 or so years ago  did not need to die.  I saw Ereck play in HS.  He was special. Needless loss IMO. 

He played despite having SCT...the onus is on him and his parents.

Schools should not allow people with SCT or other known health issues to participate in Athletics, in our sue happy society.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Game, set, and match

Sorry Turd...USF Athletics doesn’t have the level of monetary support of those programs, besides how could they spend millions on upgrades to an OCS they don’t have?

26 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Probably different in my view.Sickle cell is detectable. Heart issues, probably not.

You’re living in the cave man era...One of my grandsons, had heart issues detected a number of years ago...had open-heart surgery to correct the problem...is living a full normal life.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

You’re living in the cave man era...One of my grandsons, had heart issues detected a number of years ago...had open-heart surgery to correct the problem...is living a full normal life.

You're grandson's story does not cover all heart conditions. According to the mayo clinic, Some cardiac deaths can occur with no warning and are only sometimes preventable. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sudden-cardiac-arrest/in-depth/sudden-death/art-20047571

"Many times these deaths occur with no warning" 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

And that is  a blessing. Thank goodness. 

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

32 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

exactly and whats disrespectful is brushing it off. 

Kind of like using a player's death over a decade ago with the sole intent being to deflect the sad state of your football program now.

Edited by Meeps