• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone still think Ray Jay is our stadium?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

15 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Do you know for a fact that UCF had the money but didn't want to pay them? You're making an assumption and passing it off like it's fact. Clearly UCF had more details on what happened than the article presented which could very well have been the basis for not settling. O'Learly was hired in 2004 and was fired in 2015. This happened in 2008. The stadium was built in 2007, again. This happened in 2008. Those costs don't just magically go away or get decreased because a player died. The 200k was disbursed recently because if you know anything about legal battles, they take a LONG time to resolve and it was paid out when the Plancher's case would not be reheard by the Florida Supreme Court. Again, not because UCF was withholding the 200k. Does it suck at this went down? Of course. But none of your points raised shows GOL deliberately went out of their way to target Ereck Plancher or UCF still owes a ton of money and is dragging it out in the court system. 

So the fact that they would only pay if the Planchards stopped litigation is valid?

The point is that you are claiming the money wasn't there but there was based off of what they were able to pay the coaching staff. GOL was making 2 million dollars per year in 2008. Another question, did they do anything to GOL for this incident?  Its not about whether or not he "targeted" Ereck, he had an easily diagnosed blood disorder and no one on that field cared that he was struggling and staggering or even thought it was a problem.Aside from the fact the argument that they couldn't do the right thing because of the negative impact on their athletic budget is sickening. You can idolize and stand up for whoever you want, but find me one article arguing that UCF has done anything to handle this situation in the right way......Don't worry, i'll wait. 

Edited by BrassBulls12
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

They don't have an NFL team, just cartoon parks, so they will not be able to grasp what you are saying. 

Washington is located just 6 miles from the Seahawks NFL Stadium yet they choose to spend almost $300 Million to UPGRADE their college stadium.

Same thing USC is doing as they are spending $300 Million to upgrade the LA Coliseum that they own now instead of playing in the new $1.5 Billion NFL Stadium that will be located just 7 miles away.

Houston built a new 40,000 seat on-campus stadium instead of moving to the beautiful NFL Stadium just 3 miles away.

Ga Tech continues to upgrade their historic stadium vs move to the $1 Billion plus Mercedes Benz Stadium just a few miles away. (Heck, Ga State moved out of the "old NFL Dome" and instead of moving to the new NFL dome, decided to renovate old Turner Field instead).

Cincinnati spent almost $100 Million upgrading their on-campus stadium instead of moving to the very modern NFL Stadium for the Bengals just a stones throw away.

Stanford and Cal both spent Hundreds of Millions of $$$ to upgrade their on-campus Stadiums instead of joining the 49ers in their new one.

Heck, its funny because usf fans mention this stadium more than most but Univ of Minnesota moved OUT of a NFL Stadium and turned down an offer to join their new one...and instead they built a beautiful $280 Million on-campus stadium instead.

Weird...all of those college teams spent billions on their one stadiums, even though they have a NFL Stadium nearby....so maybe those schools KNOW something about the long-term impact that on-campus football means to their student body, alumni and maybe more important, FUTURE student body and future alumni.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

42 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

But you say all this like UCF really wanted to pay the Planchards more, but they didn't. It is evident buy the fact that there was no attempt to settle. The ten million the Planchards were awarded came from the courts for gross negligence, because this wasn't a tragedy, it was negligence, and they immediately appealed and fought for a decade to get the 200 thousand number. There is no law that states that the university can't give them more, it's their money, they can do with it as they please.  The amount they paid for the appeals is completely relevant if your argument is that there wasn't enough money to pay the Planchards more because they had no problem spending it on the appeals.They had millions to pay the coaches and millions to build a stadium but only 200 thousand to give to a family of a player that their negligence killed. Speaks volumes about that they believe is the right thing to do. 

Who or what are the Planchards??

19 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Does it suck at this went down?

You're **** right it sucks that happened. Because it could have and should have been avoided and with that, i'm done. 

2 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Who or what are the Planchards??

I put a d on their name and mistook the e for an a , my bad. Typo

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

You're **** right it sucks that happened. Because it could have and should have been avoided and with that, i'm done. 

Couldn’t the same be said of Keely Dorsey’s death?

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Probably different in my view.Sickle cell is detectable. Heart issues, probably not.

I lost a friend to a similar heart issue in HS.  He had accepted an offer to play  at Stanford, and dropped dead running conditioning laps as a senior in HS. He had an undetected hole in his heart.  Sucks.  Crushed his family. 

4 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Couldn’t the same be said of Keely Dorsey’s death?

His death unfortunately occurred due to a genetic heart condition but even his autopsy couldn't confirm it. 

Dr. Laura Hair, a Hillsborough County associate medical examiner, said Thursday the 19-year-old freshman appears to have had an undiagnosed genetic heart disorder called Long QT Syndrome, but tests on his DNA were unable to confirm it. He was pronounced dead at a hospital on Jan. 17.

"I think it's the most likely possibility," Hair said of Dorsey's death. "It was natural. I didn't find any reason it wasn't natural."

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/082307aci.html 

3 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Probably different in my view.Sickle cell is detectable. Heart issues, probably not.

I lost a friend to a similar heart issue in HS.  He had accepted an offer to play  at Stanford, and dropped dead running conditioning laps as a senior in HS. He had an undetected hole in his heart.  Sucks.  Crushed his family. 

Literally the biggest fear I have at work is having to witness something like this. I'm sorry about your friend. 

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Thank you. No one knew. Granted, it was in 1976, and diagnosis  was stone age then, but he threw no  symptoms. None. Stellar athlete, wizard smart. Crushing blow. He just fell  running, was dead.

Sadly, Ereck  Plancher did not need to die, and the Cal player 2 or so years ago  did not need to die.  I saw Ereck play in HS.  He was special. Needless loss IMO.