• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wilcox 2019 draft?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Let's see.  We had the Barnett going pro after one year thread and then he came back to earth.  We had the Cronkrite going pro thread and he took a back seat to Ford.  Now we have the Wilcox going pro thread.  Can he break the curse?

Hmmm, maybe up next is CCS coaching a pro team.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Looking at how MVS has transitioned pretty well to the pro game in terms of catching ability, I wouldn't be shocked if wilcox left as well

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,472
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, feardabull said:

Looking at how MVS has transitioned pretty well to the pro game in terms of catching ability, I wouldn't be shocked if wilcox left as well

Could it be coaching?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Could it be coaching?

players get far better coaching in the NFL than they do in any college program. they don't have limitations on the amount of hours they can work with them plus it's year round.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Let's see.  We had the Barnett going pro after one year thread and then he came back to earth.  We had the Cronkrite going pro thread and he took a back seat to Ford.  Now we have the Wilcox going pro thread.  Can he break the curse?

I know the speculation never seems to end. I don't think any of them would be drafted at this point. We only see things through the green goggles but if you watch a lot of CFB, one would see we really don't have any early draft picks on this team.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

not sure where his draft stock stands at this moment but I'm going to guess that he is a very late rounder if not an undrafted FA prospect.

it's not that I dislike his game-- he's arguably been the most reliable & statistically productive target for the team this year along with McCants, tho that isn't exactly saying much given the often poor execution & unimaginative play calling of the passing game in general-- but he definitely has a few issues that may affect his opportunities in the NFL.

hands/concentration drops have been an issue all year. he's had drops that hit him right in the hands or right between the numbers in virtually every game. he doesn't have the most impressive catch radius for a 6'5 TE. he isn't exceptionally physical with the ball for a TE nor is he particularly elusive. this results in underwhelming YAC output.

aside from receiving issues, I'm not convinced he's shown enough blocking to be an NFL tight end. I know he's used in the slot a lot in this offense but how is his blocking lined up next to a tackle? How well can he open holes in the running game or fall back into pass protection. he's been a feature guy for USF this year but in the NFL tight ends are expected to do the little things more often than make highlights, even for All-World tight ends like Gronk, who is a brilliant blocker.

BUT... as mentioned by several people, the skills we see on the field are also very much a product of play calling & quarterbacking, which IMHO aren't doing him any favors in terms of route tree & traditional TE blocking.

a look at his production in 2016 under xCWT would indicate he was more efficient in the Gulf Coast Offense than in the Sterlin Gilbert Potato Show.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700

9 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

On one hand he might want to stay since he was injured this year and didnt have a full season.

On the otherhand, he might want to jump, especially if he has to play in this bull**** ass system that only utilizes him as a safety valve (the previous offensive scheme proved that TE's can be soo much more and would better highlight his skillset).

He also might just want to go get paid instead of getting beat to **** and then being told that he's not "executing" well enough....yeah I'm throwing CCS hate into this chat too...sue me. 

Were the stats in the other offensive scheme that much better? 

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700

3 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

not sure where his draft stock stands at this moment but I'm going to guess that he is a very late rounder if not an undrafted FA prospect.

it's not that I dislike his game-- he's arguably been the most reliable & statistically productive target for the team this year along with McCants, tho that isn't exactly saying much given the often poor execution & unimaginative play calling of the passing game in general-- but he definitely has a few issues that may affect his opportunities in the NFL.

hands/concentration drops have been an issue all year. he's had drops that hit him right in the hands or right between the numbers in virtually every game. he doesn't have the most impressive catch radius for a 6'5 TE. he isn't exceptionally physical with the ball for a TE nor is he particularly elusive. this results in underwhelming YAC output.

aside from receiving issues, I'm not convinced he's shown enough blocking to be an NFL tight end. I know he's used in the slot a lot in this offense but how is his blocking lined up next to a tackle? How well can he open holes in the running game or fall back into pass protection. he's been a feature guy for USF this year but in the NFL tight ends are expected to do the little things more often than make highlights, even for All-World tight ends like Gronk, who is a brilliant blocker.

BUT... as mentioned by several people, the skills we see on the field are also very much a product of play calling & quarterbacking, which IMHO aren't doing him any favors in terms of route tree & traditional TE blocking.

a look at his production in 2016 under xCWT would indicate he was more efficient in the Gulf Coast Offense than in the Sterlin Gilbert Potato Show.

I just checked the stats for Wilcox in 2016. I must be missing something. Seems way more productive in the potato show. What am I missing?

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318

18 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I know the speculation never seems to end. I don't think any of them would be drafted at this point. We only see things through the green goggles but if you watch a lot of CFB, one would see we really don't have any early draft picks on this team.

Wilcox has been listed on mock draft sites as high as the 2nd rd.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/SouthFlorida_logo.gif

SouthFlorida_logo.gif Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2019): 2-4.

11/3/18: Wilcox has totaled 28 catches for 378 yards and a touchdown thus far.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php#8JkcBCGmulUUyvOu.99

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php

This isn't a case of homerism, he is a legit next level tight end (that for some reason this board loves to **** on).

Edited by Capital H

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Wilcox has been listed on mock draft sites as high as the 2nd rd.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/SouthFlorida_logo.gif

SouthFlorida_logo.gif Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2019): 2-4.

11/3/18: Wilcox has totaled 28 catches for 378 yards and a touchdown thus far.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php#8JkcBCGmulUUyvOu.99

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php

This isn't a case of homerism, he is a legit next level tight end (that for some reason this board loves to **** on).

He is my favorite player. I was just being realistic. I have seen quiet a few draft sites where his name is not listed at all. I hope he makes it in the draft (if he decides to leave), but I have my doubts for being drafted this year.