• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wilcox 2019 draft?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

14 hours ago, mjadams said:

I just checked the stats for Wilcox in 2016. I must be missing something. Seems way more productive in the potato show. What am I missing?

Pure hatred for anyone associated with the coaching staff at USF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

18 hours ago, mjadams said:

Were the stats in the other offensive scheme that much better? 

His YPC was much much better because the previous staff used true play action to punish teams up the seam when the LB's were too aggressive vs the run. If the current staff actually implemented this regularly Wilcox would be having a monster season.... 

Edited by Bull Dozer

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

His YPC was much much better because the previous staff used true play action to punish teams up the seam when the LB's were too aggressive vs the run. If the current staff actually implemented this regularly Wilcox would be having a monster season.... 

He's already having a monster season. In fact, it's the best season a TE has ever had in the history of the program and will end up being about the 5th best receiving season overall, despite him missing two games.

And his 23.2 a catch was a ridiculous number based on small sample size. You know that.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

26 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Catches and yards are much more this season. It could be better but truth is......he's getting more targets this year in this scheme which increases his exposure. I wish him the best.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249

18 hours ago, mjadams said:

I just checked the stats for Wilcox in 2016. I must be missing something. Seems way more productive in the potato show. What am I missing?

efficient, not productive. look at his output relative to usage rate. only 1/3 the catches but more than half the yards, more ypc & same number of TD's while not being featured nearly as much.

image.jpg

4 hours ago, JTrue said:

Pure hatred for anyone associated with the coaching staff at USF.

really? I don't think u can find a single post in which I've gone after CCS or his staff.

Wilcox was statistically more efficient in 2016. look at his catch totals, yard totals, ypc, TD totals.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

28 minutes ago, JTrue said:

He's already having a monster season. In fact, it's the best season a TE has ever had in the history of the program and will end up being about the 5th best receiving season overall, despite him missing two games.

And his 23.2 a catch was a ridiculous number based on small sample size. You know that.

I don't believe he would be at 23.2 but i do believe he could be WAY more productive if his ability to stretch the field vertically was actually used consistently in the offense.  Especially because it would be a GREAT counter to how teams currently defend us....  It's great that we're getting Wilcox involved with volume in the short passing game but not taking advantage of his proven ability to stretch the field up the seam consistently off of play action is almost criminal.  Like just about every other skill position player on offense his skill set is not being maximized. 

Also yes, he's having a great season by USF standards but we also have not had very many, if any, truly prolific receivers, and especially not TE's.   SO yes he's doing well on our all time lists but it's not like our all time lists are loaded with stud receivers and TE's that put up huge numbers.   

Edited by Bull Dozer

Just now, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

really? I don't think u can find a single post in which I've gone after CCS or his staff.

Wilcox was statistically more efficient in 2016. look at his catch totals, yard totals, ypc, TD totals.

The same staff that ruined Wilcox turned McCants into an absolutely lethal RB from 2016 to 2017. Nearly tripled his yards and don't even get me started on YPC.

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

The same staff that ruined Wilcox turned McCants into an absolutely lethal RB from 2016 to 2017. Nearly tripled his yards and don't even get me started on YPC.

that's fine. we can discuss efficiency, production, stats, systems, coaching philosophy all day without impugning each other personally. I know full well there are tons of ppl on this board (& other social media) unhappy with CCS & ESPECIALLY unhappy with Gilbert, calling for the firing of one or both. I'M NOT ONE OF THEM. 17-5 (or whatever CCS' overall record is at USF) is as good as to be expected given the 2nd year of a coaches' tenure. while I'd like to see more adjustments & tailoring the offense to the personnel we have, I'm more than willing to give CCS the opportunity to right the ship.

this thread was specifically about Wilcox' potential as an NFL TE in the draft. I gave plenty of reasonable evidence of things he can work on or show more of. I mentioned coaching/play calling/system ONLY relative to Wilcox' talents, NOT a broader statement criticizing the coaching staff as a whole.

cheers!

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700

1 hour ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

efficient, not productive. look at his output relative to usage rate. only 1/3 the catches but more than half the yards, more ypc & same number of TD's while not being featured nearly as much.

image.jpg

Picture says alot. Thanks for adding but it solidifies what I posted. His production is better this year. 

Lets just beat temple.

Go Bulls