• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaching Changes Offense/HC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So let's look at CCS and this offensive staff and see who could stick around and who could possibly be sent packing/get poached. I'll do the same thing with the defense this week.   

HC- Charlie Strong-  With us sitting at 3 losses and possibly staring 2 more in the face i think it's safe to say CCS will be back unless the coaching carousel gets extremely crazy this off season.    He's not a threat to move laterally to another G5, upper and mid-tier P5 schools wouldn't risk "Reaching" for a 4-5 loss G5 coach and I think at 5 losses its even a stretch to think traditional P5 football door mat programs will look his way.  CCS will be back unless he shocks the world and retires.   

Verdic: Safe

OC/QB's- Sterling Gilbert- The offense has once again been great against lesser opponents and between the 20's yet again but has continued to grind to a halt in the red zone and has been predictable to a detriment against equally talented teams and in short yardage situations.   Gilbert went and got a big armed pass first QB that is supposed to be the engine for his offense, a stud SEC calibre RB, and returned reliable play makers in Wilcox and McCants but the offense has the same schematic warts it showed last season.  I think CCS takes a long hard look at Gilbert this off season while Gilbert puts out some feelers to see if there is a new home for a guy like him out there.   I think Gilbert has a huge ego and has always saw this job as "beneath him"  and definitely doesn't like the amount of criticism he's taken in his two seasons here.   I think ultimately Gilbert finds a new home by selling the same thing many here sold for the last two seasons, an offense that is great between the 20's and a bunch of yardage that looks great in box scores and yardage rankings.   

Verdict- Gone by choice 

RB's-Shaun King-  King has done a great job with the plethora of young/inexperienced backs behind Cronk who was all but a finished products when he arrived via transfer.  He continues to be a name respected around the bay in recruiting and is a bay area guy.   I think the only way he leaves is if he gets a shot as a play caller somewhere else or one of the Big 3 schools offers him a lateral move for big $$$.    Watch out for CWT to come calling this off season as there figures to be a lot of turnover in Tally.

Verdict- Stays but will be a hot name

WR's Charlie Williams-  Williams has a TON of experience as a WR coach but you wouldn't know it from the inconsistent results that unit has produced this season.  Plagued by drops, ball security problems and inconsistent blocking this unit has been a bit of a mess outside of McCants this season.   There has been a noticeable decline in the consistency of play at WR since TJ Weist departed but Williams has been a very effective recruiter in Jacksonville which hasn't been the case for our bulls since CJL departed.  While there's a ton of things to clean up at the WR position I think coach Williams is very safe due to his recruiting and track record as head coach.  I could see him getting poached because he's an effective recruiter and his resume is EXTREMELY impressive.  

Verdit- Stays     

OL- Matt Mattox- Mattox has made due with razor thin depth this season on the OL often starting true freshmen at key positions (LT, Center).  Under normal circumstances that would be nothing but a plus, however Mattox effectively ran off 3 OL that would have been contributors this season due to his "coaching style".   Also, after two years with Norman and Atterbury we have seen no progression in those two.    Add in the fact that reportedly Mattox and Gilbert are think as thieves and I don't think things look good for Mattox to return.  I think he tags along with Gilbert to wherever his next stop is.   

Verdict- Gone by Choice 

TE's/Special teams-Justin Burke-  Ohhhhhhhhh boyyyyy where to begin here......   Outside of Mitchell Wilcox we don't have a serviceable TE on the roster even though we have guys like Lloyd who have been with Burke for 2 years but still can't find their way on the field.   Normally in situations like that you have guys who are purely one dimensional that you can find a way to work onto the field or you can scheme around if a starter goes down.  This year, no dice.   Nobody named Mitchell Wilcox is good enough to get on the field and contribute as a pure blocker or pure pass catches.  Frankly this unit is a mess....   Special teams continues to plagued by blocked kicks, extra points, and punts.    Yes the return game has improved but I think a lot of that is we have some special athletes that can make 2 guys miss and have the speed to make something happen afterwards.  I cannot think of one thing Burke does well for the money he gets, and I would think CCS is having those same thoughts.  

Verdict.  Fired 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

55 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

So let's look at CCS and this offensive staff and see who could stick around and who could possibly be sent packing/get poached. I'll do the same thing with the defense this week.   

HC- Charlie Strong-  With us sitting at 3 losses and possibly staring 2 more in the face i think it's safe to say CCS will be back unless the coaching carousel gets extremely crazy this off season.    He's not a threat to move laterally to another G5, upper and mid-tier P5 schools wouldn't risk "Reaching" for a 4-5 loss G5 coach and I think at 5 losses its even a stretch to think traditional P5 football door mat programs will look his way.  CCS will be back unless he shocks the world and retires.   

Verdic: Safe

OC/QB's- Sterling Gilbert- The offense has once again been great against lesser opponents and between the 20's yet again but has continued to grind to a halt in the red zone and has been predictable to a detriment against equally talented teams and in short yardage situations.   Gilbert went and got a big armed pass first QB that is supposed to be the engine for his offense, a stud SEC calibre RB, and returned reliable play makers in Wilcox and McCants but the offense has the same schematic warts it showed last season.  I think CCS takes a long hard look at Gilbert this off season while Gilbert puts out some feelers to see if there is a new home for a guy like him out there.   I think Gilbert has a huge ego and has always saw this job as "beneath him"  and definitely doesn't like the amount of criticism he's taken in his two seasons here.   I think ultimately Gilbert finds a new home by selling the same thing many here sold for the last two seasons, an offense that is great between the 20's and a bunch of yardage that looks great in box scores and yardage rankings.   

Verdict- Gone by choice 

RB's-Shaun King-  King has done a great job with the plethora of young/inexperienced backs behind Cronk who was all but a finished products when he arrived via transfer.  He continues to be a name respected around the bay in recruiting and is a bay area guy.   I think the only way he leaves is if he gets a shot as a play caller somewhere else or one of the Big 3 schools offers him a lateral move for big $$$.    Watch out for CWT to come calling this off season as there figures to be a lot of turnover in Tally.

Verdict- Stays but will be a hot name

WR's Charlie Williams-  Williams has a TON of experience as a WR coach but you wouldn't know it from the inconsistent results that unit has produced this season.  Plagued by drops, ball security problems and inconsistent blocking this unit has been a bit of a mess outside of McCants this season.   There has been a noticeable decline in the consistency of play at WR since TJ Weist departed but Williams has been a very effective recruiter in Jacksonville which hasn't been the case for our bulls since CJL departed.  While there's a ton of things to clean up at the WR position I think coach Williams is very safe due to his recruiting and track record as head coach.  I could see him getting poached because he's an effective recruiter and his resume is EXTREMELY impressive.  

Verdit- Stays     

OL- Matt Mattox- Mattox has made due with razor thin depth this season on the OL often starting true freshmen at key positions (LT, Center).  Under normal circumstances that would be nothing but a plus, however Mattox effectively ran off 3 OL that would have been contributors this season due to his "coaching style".   Also, after two years with Norman and Atterbury we have seen no progression in those two.    Add in the fact that reportedly Mattox and Gilbert are think as thieves and I don't think things look good for Mattox to return.  I think he tags along with Gilbert to wherever his next stop is.   

Verdict- Gone by Choice 

TE's/Special teams-Justin Burke-  Ohhhhhhhhh boyyyyy where to begin here......   Outside of Mitchell Wilcox we don't have a serviceable TE on the roster even though we have guys like Lloyd who have been with Burke for 2 years but still can't find their way on the field.   Normally in situations like that you have guys who are purely one dimensional that you can find a way to work onto the field or you can scheme around if a starter goes down.  This year, no dice.   Nobody named Mitchell Wilcox is good enough to get on the field and contribute as a pure blocker or pure pass catches.  Frankly this unit is a mess....   Special teams continues to plagued by blocked kicks, extra points, and punts.    Yes the return game has improved but I think a lot of that is we have some special athletes that can make 2 guys miss and have the speed to make something happen afterwards.  I cannot think of one thing Burke does well for the money he gets, and I would think CCS is having those same thoughts.  

Verdict.  Fired 

This is an excellent analysis Bull Dozer! Well thought out. I hope all of it comes true. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

If Gilbert leaves do we promote king to oc to keep him

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

15 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

Abso “freakin” lutly 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

6 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

No - OC will be by TBT committee 

I am guessing CCS will set-up some sort of play by play internet voting site that directly ties into the In-Game Threads, in-order to have instant feedback direct from the fan base to the playing field

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

No - OC will be by TBT committee 

I am guessing CCS will set-up some sort of play by play internet voting site that directly ties into the In-Game Threads, in-order to have instant feedback direct from the fan base to the playing field

Cool.  Maybe we’ll save some money.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Wild card, but HIGHLY unlikely:. Dan Mullen calls Strong.  Would he go?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  2

Pretty good analysis. Im a CCS fan. I hope he stays but really dont care if others go. Good post.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

If CCS stays, his loyalty may have him keep Burke and Sterling. If Sterling finds other work probably the only way he leaves.

If CCS were a Shakespeare character he'd have telegraphed his fatal flaw of stubbornness, unwillingness to change and misguided loyalty in Act I and would be brought to his tragic end in Act V.

Act I-Arrives in new kingdom, proudly proclaims that he and his retainers, the other nobility, have not studied the current kingdom and won't. Proceeds to run kingdom in his way, ignoring the strengths of the populace, with good results but not world conquering. Loses the two most important battles of the year. Populace ok with results but expected better.

Act II-In early stages struggles with inferior kingdoms but continues to prevail, cracks in the kingdom appear when dealing with kingdoms with equal resources and skilled populace. His own populace beings to grumble, looking unmotivated and unhappy. One commoner attacks a noble during a public event. A series of losses end the campaigning season.

Acts III-V ??????

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Why does everyone seem to think King is some kind of offensive mastermind?

What gives people that idea?

Or is it just Buccaneers homerism?

He used more for recruiting purposes than anything else, all-a Marquel Blackwell.