• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brian Jean Mary has got to go!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

You took quite a leap from the two of them talking after defensive mistakes to BJM begging and CCS micro-managing. 

I swear to you BJM asked CS:  "boxers or briefs, coach?"

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Some is coaching, like DBs letting WRs get behind them ALL YEAR.  But to me, it's personnel.  This is the weakest LB corp we've had in years.  Many complained about Auggie Sanchez, but he at least was a smart, physical guy and covered the middle well (yes, pass coverage was weak, at times).  Sawtelle is good, but is a level below.  McGee is a stud, but small to rely on.  Reaves is a very good DE, but still struggling to learn the position on the fly.

My take on the DL is we obviously miss Senat & Hector, but Livingston, Bronson and Jackson seemed to have peaked last year.  The good news is the young guys at DT show a LOT of promise.

I think we have some good young talent in the secondary, but still prone to getting burned.  It's hard to blame coaching too much on the personnel...since most was inherited.  That said, if you're undersized or weak in certain areas, coaching can help with schemes to try to cover those gaps.  Tulane will try to run on us all day.  Hopefully we've learned and can pressure & stick the QB.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

Some is coaching, like DBs letting WRs get behind them ALL YEAR.  But to me, it's personnel.  This is the weakest LB corp we've had in years.  Many complained about Auggie Sanchez, but he at least was a smart, physical guy and covered the middle well (yes, pass coverage was weak, at times).  Sawtelle is good, but is a level below.  McGee is a stud, but small to rely on.  Reaves is a very good DE, but still struggling to learn the position on the fly.

My take on the DL is we obviously miss Senat & Hector, but Livingston, Bronson and Jackson seemed to have peaked last year.  The good news is the young guys at DT show a LOT of promise.

I think we have some good young talent in the secondary, but still prone to getting burned.  It's hard to blame coaching too much on the personnel...since most was inherited.  That said, if you're undersized or weak in certain areas, coaching can help with schemes to try to cover those gaps.  Tulane will try to run on us all day.  Hopefully we've learned and can pressure & stick the QB.

Keep in mind that one reason the DBs got burned was because there was absolutely no pash rush. King could sit back there and have tea and crumpets then throw the ball with no one around him. The D line and LBs have got to get bigger this off season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

48 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Keep in mind that one reason the DBs got burned was because there was absolutely no pash rush. King could sit back there and have tea and crumpets then throw the ball with no one around him. The D line and LBs have got to get bigger this off season. 

Yes.  We are small at all 3 levels of the defense.  Dline averages about 270ish, LBs are 210-220 and our DBs can’t be anymore than 5’ 10” 175.  Hard to run stuff with these sizes.  What concerns me is Idon’t see us getting bigger next year with bigger players waiting in the wings.  Is there a true MLB on the roster right now?  We used to always have strong LBs back in the day.  Which brings me to another question.  Is this Strong’s recruiting philosophy?  Recruit smaller faster players?  Time will tell but lots of work needs to be done on the defense which is the area of expertise of the head coach.

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,260
  • Days Won:  1

The one thing that bugs me with the defense is it seems everyone has a school record performance against our defense. To me it’s on the coaches as they refuse to adjust their scheme to the personell. This has been a problem for nearly 2 years and CCS is supposed to be a defensive minded coach 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Tulane is coming in here fighting for bowl eligibility and  has a new QB (an LSU transfer) that can run and throw and they have big backs.  I’m sure they look at our film and salivate.  They’ll try and run down our throats with a power running game and a QB that can run and throw.  Mix in some misdirection and it will look like Pindell from UConn but with a better arm.  CCS and BJM need to get some stuff figured out quick or this game won’t be to our liking.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Tulane is coming in here fighting for bowl eligibility and  has a new QB (an LSU transfer) that can run and throw and they have big backs.  I’m sure they look at our film and salivate.  They’ll try and run down our throats with a power running game and a QB that can run and throw.  Mix in some misdirection and it will look like Pindell from UConn but with a better arm.  CCS and BJM need to get some stuff figured out quick or this game won’t be to our liking.

Everyone needs to add 15-20 lbs to their frame.  Too late for that now. I just dont understand their thinking making these guys go small

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

They beat an OK Memphis team 40-24. Lost in OT to a decent Wake Forest squad, and lost @ Ohio State. They gave us a scare last year, but this SHOULD be the easiest game remaining on our schedule. They are still probably the 3rd best team we'll have played YTD though, and they did give us a scare last season....

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

He can’t throw...but if our D backfield plays like it did last week, it might look like he can throw. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,353
  • Days Won:  5

They will run that qb until his shoes drop off. And he’ll tells us right before he snaps tha ball that he’s running and we will still miss tackles and gain 15!on 4 and 14. This sucks boys. This is on coaching. Tackling is fundamental and we don’t coach fundamentals.