• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please Get Rid of Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Talk of firing Strong at this point is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.  That being said, I have started to wonder about one thing.  Is it possible the game has passed Strong by?  Is it possible that this slog along offense is not a championship type of offensive philosophy for this conference in the long run?  Sure it will keep us in the upper echelon of the conference, but the other teams that have risen to the top (including our team with Taggart's high scoring offense) by getting coaches that bring high powered offensive philosophy.  Especially with a porous defense like ours.

Another thing I have been thinking about is maybe it is not so bad to have a young coach like Taggart that is hungry to prove himself here for the next level job.    A Taggart, Frost, Fuente, Tom Hermann.  Is Strong content?  I don't know the man's mindset and his personal calm, quiet personality can work, but where is the passion, the fun?  Did you see Houston jumping around, excited having fun?  Do we do that on the sidelines?  We come out flat every game, no passion, not prepared.  How about coming out excited, prepared and fired up?  Maybe we have to stop worrying that this is a destination job and get a guy here that brings the passion and hunger to prove himself to get to the next level.  

In the meantime, I think we will be fine the next year or so, but I am not sure this coaching staff has what it takes to bring us to the next level of success. 

I think there’s some truth to this. I’m genuinely curious if CCS has a handcuff on this offense due to his conservative nature.

Houston and USF run the same style offense, Veer & Shoot. Obviously KB knows it like the back of his hand from his father, but Sterlin has made it this far with his version. King is a special QB, but the differences in the offenses were clear. Houston was motioning players, taking shots down field and continuously trying to get their best players in space. Our offense was inside zone & boundary hitches for the most part. How many curls have to get jumped before we run a stop and go?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

. How many curls have to get jumped before we run a stop and go?

Yes I thought we were setting up for that late in the game but they never tried one.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Not since he's been here. Look through the schedule the last two years. He's beaten bad teams, and won a couple of toss-up games (GT & Texas Tech). You must be talking about Louisville vs. Florida? He was good at Louisville. The game may have evolved a bit in the years since. Not sure Charlie has. 

So he won the games he was supposed to win....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Yes I thought we were setting up for that late in the game but they never tried one.

Not to mention that the bubble/fake bubble wheels have completely disappeared 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Not since he's been here. Look through the schedule the last two years. He's beaten bad teams, and won a couple of toss-up games (GT & Texas Tech). You must be talking about Louisville vs. Florida? He was good at Louisville. The game may have evolved a bit in the years since. Not sure Charlie has. 

He's won 17 games he was supposed to. Lost to UCF where the talent was equal. Lost to Houston last year where the talent was at best negligible in our favor. And lost to a Houston team this year that CLEARLY had more talent on the lines, at QB, and in the matchup with their WRs against our DBs. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, JTrue said:

He's won 17 games he was supposed to. Lost to UCF where the talent was equal. Lost to Houston last year where the talent was at the very least negligible in our favor. And lost to a Houston team this year that CLEARLY had more talent on the lines, at QB, and in the matchup with their WRs against our DBs. 

THIS

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Just now, JTrue said:

WRs against our DBs.

That was like size advantage galore whenever needed.

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So he won the games he was supposed to win....

Not to attack your opinion because you’ve made valid points. Honest question, don’t you worry that he’s just flat out average? “8-8/7-9 bs” as Jeff Fisher once said? 

I get it, it’s better than CWTs first year, but that should be an anomaly, not something we are grateful not to see. 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Sorry, but I still don't get the fire Strong stuff after a couple losses.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Taggart took a bad CSH team and made it worse, not just worse but to the lowest depths our program has ever gone. Tags then recruited better than the rest of the conference and still could not win and eventually was forced into a gimmick offense for a season and a half that showed the only small sliver of success that he has faced in his life and has yet to come close to capturing that lighting in a bottle in the two seasons since he has left as there is tape on his offense and he faces better athletes. Then for all that full pantry he left we sure do seem to be starting a lot of underclassmen and a first year transfer at QB. xCwT is not a great coach and he has spent a lifetime proving that (despite marginal success for a year and a half, the kind of success , with the same competition we now want to fire CCS over) CCS may not be the best coach ever but he is the second best we have had and odds are in favor that his replacement would be far worse.

I don't care if Taggart was forced into the change or not, he got some great guys here, and got it turned around. That was the most entertaining offense we've had here, and in the end were better fir his being here.

I think Charlie could be very successful here. I could see this team being pretty good next year...and we're still in the hunt this year, but he's done nothing great here so far. He can recruit, and I suspect future seasons will look a lot like this one. Enough talent to beat the bad teams...which there should continue to be plenty of those on our schedule...but won't be able to get over the hump against the better teams we play. Hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.