• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Over Memphis...Better for Us?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

17 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Don’t be so short sighted that your personal dislike for a rival comes at the expense of USF benefiting long term. Are you really saying that you do not want UCF to make the CFB playoffs, which could spur an opportunity for UCF and USF to join a Power 5 confence, because you dislike UCF that much?

I feel the need to make this disclaimer - I’m not debating the likelihood of this scenario occurring, just asking if that scenario played out you still couldn’t root for UCF if USF benefited from it long term?

You have a guarantee USF benefits longterm?   Are we rooting for ucf to beat us on Black Friday too?  It seems a little short sighted to worry about winning this year with these alleged long term benefits.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Please stop with the rooting for UCF to go to the Playoffs BS. Let me tell you here and now, it will never happen. In the system as it is set up now, there is absolutely no way a non-Money Conference school gets in. The playoffs are owned and operated by ESPN. that should tell you everything you need to know right there. :05-nono:

I hate when people talk as if their is a chance for any team outside of the Money5 to get into a Money game. It's just not going to happen. I know I kid around sometimes about making the playoffs but, I know it would not be allowed. Even when Houston was making it's impressive beat down on Oklahoma, the ESPN insiders where wringing their hands while planning the demise of the Cougars. All just to say oh but, they gave it a great shot and came oh so close. better luck next year guys. :P

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Are you really saying that you do not want UCF to make the CFB playoffs, which could spur an opportunity for UCF and USF to join a Power 5 confence, because you dislike UCF that much? 

Puc's been too quiet lately. I'll let him handle this nonsense ....

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

51 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Puc's been too quiet lately. I'll let him handle this nonsense ....

I’m running out of ways to try to drive home how nonsensical and absurd this idea is. I offer my Pascal’s wager variant whereby if USF does everything better than everyone else in the G5 and there is realignment we more than likely get selected over everyone we exceeded and if there is no realignment then we still exceed them and get to live peacefully as the greatest of the misfit toys and a steady stream of NY6 bowls. If we have others do better than us than if there is realignment we are likely not selected over those that have stronger resumes and if there is no realignment we get to be passed over for NY6 games in order to watch those we unwisely cheered for take what could have conceivably been our position. In every instance whether there is expansion or not it’s better for us to be successful and anyone likely situated to us to fail as miserably as possible. There is zero instances of anyone being brought into the P5 as a team and no instance of anyone with P5 decision making power ever expressing remote interest in doing so. USF is best off with USF doing well and UCF falling off a cliff and dying as better off together is nothing short of internet fodder nonsense. If you think any conference that hasn’t been willing to even bite on one of us is going to be willing to roll the dice on their careers and their media dollars to take two of us so they can get one game a year that may or may not have any meaning or interest I have beeper futures I would love to sell you. If our new logo has taught us anything it’s that fortune favors the bold and it’s being ambitious that leads to success not hoping and praying to follow the path and be dragged by the coattails of some never has been. Let’s say you met your wife out and you thought you didn’t stand the best of chances would it have been a better idea to throw caution to the wind, lay your cards out and pray for the best or to talk up your friend you think for whatever dumb reason is better than you, hope he ***** her long enough for you to gain favor and then try to slide in as she is around more with him? Being a beta trying to ride others success is never a good, safe or long sighted plan. It’s shear lunacy and UCF’s success can only come at a cost to us. This is a zero sum game and for us to win we need as many people to lose as possible, every win or success they can have is always to our detriment.

Edited by puc86
Apparently if you add an s you can say the f word
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

So much to unpack here. I understand what you are saying but I don’t agree with you. I want every team in our conference to win every game they have except the one against us, but is we aren’t the best team I’ll be pulling for whoever the best team in our conference is come the postseason. UConn’s MBB team winning the national championship in the first year of the AAC is a pretty good, if not as impactful, example.

You can disagree as much as you like but that disagreement could not be further removed from reality. Some members our conference inevitably will have to win a majority of their games but for us to think any one of them, outside of us, is of any benefit more to us than any other of them is just ludicrous wishful thinking. UCONN winning a national championship has a tremendous impact, I mean not enough to even advance themselves to the big leagues, for UCONN but maybe a marginal impact at best for USF basketball (see how well we have flourished during those years). You can chant AAC! AAC! UCF! UCF! Until you are blue in the face if it makes you happy but if you think that’s somehow advancing USF beyond are current station you couldn’t be more mistaken. 

32 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Now you’re getting it twisted. If USF doesn’t make it to the CFP then I want UCF to get there. Like it or not, we are a package deal if/when we make it to the P5. So if we can’t break the ceiling and they can then it’s my belief that it still I mproves USF’s chances of making the P5. I’ve seen a few posts debating if it would ever happen - that’s not the point. 

The UCF athletic department has lapped us, so if USF can benefit from their success I don’t think the administration would decline a P5 invite because somehow UCF’s success made them more attractive and we just happened to be part of a package deal. And yeah, if we make it into the P5 I think that’s about as close to guaranteeing the long term benefits of our athletic program.

The short-sightedness by some on this board is astounding.

We are in no way shape or form a package deal, we have never moved conferences as a package, no teams have ever moved conferences as any form of package and not once has anyone with any form of power or connected any power conference  ever referenced us as a package deal or expressed any interest in the idea. The idea exists solely on the internet and much like anything that exists only on the internet it is stupid made up nonsense.

9 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I doubt the Big 12 would want another island school like West Virginia (as an example). I think if one of us gets extended an offer then the other one does as well. Maybe “package deal” isn’t the correct terminology but that’s essentially what I meant.  

But why do you doubt that? Many conferences have shown they have zero issue with creating island schools with their new configurations. Tv dollars are all that matters and if that means being Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia or Rutgers not exactly near your footprint or with a travel partner no one cares any more, it’s why g-d invented airplanes.

30 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

This is about as dumb of a statement as I have read. Teams at the top of our conference clearly are of more benefit to us than those at the bottom, so to say the one provides no more benefit that another is ignorant. There are quantifiable ways and some soft metric ways, where this is the case, specifically:

• Improved SOS for USF
  • Increased conference/member bowl pool payout if school makes NY6 game
  • Increased media exposure for conference
  • Further reinforces Power 6 narrative
  • In the case of USF and/or UCF any significant increase in prominence makes both schools attractive for realignment as its widely believed that any P5 invite would be for both teams

I’m likely missing a few other benefits that others can chime in with. I get it though - you feel like only USF controls it’s destiny and nothing anyone else does impacts us in any favorable way. Is the deck stacked against the G5 absolutely but ther is a path to get us or one of our schools the CFP. And maybe that long shot will bring about the change the sport needs. I want every advantage I can get my hands on - even if you deem them to be irrelevant - to get this team to the next level.

Except they would balance their SOS out and any difference from putting all of the eggs in specific baskets would be negligible. It’s like saying cut my pizza in 6 slices because I can’t eat 8 slices it’s the exact same pie just being distributed differently. There is no P6 narrative it’s a marketing gimmick that very few people have bought into but if we don’t have any more money, prestige, or better bowl access than we don’t have any power and we are just the top of the G5 looking for slightly better pr. You may find some slight benefits that you think may be coming USF’s way if others are successful but none are more than marginal, most are conjecture and none of them come with more benefits to us than they do harm. Only USF being successful is beneficial to USF in the long run and anything else is the dumbest statement ever made (although optimistically naive).

Just now, brybull1970 said:

I doubt that because nearly all conferences regionalized, and for good reason.

That was the past, since realignment that we are hoping to jump on very little care had been placed on regionalization or not putting people on islands.