• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Over Memphis...Better for Us?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,524
  • Days Won:  422

9 hours ago, MikeG said:

I see how that statement seems contradictory. I mean that it is possible that we could win out or even be 12-1 but still have some other team be ranked higher that gets the nod-- so in that way it is out of our control. Most likely, we would be ranked highest but who knows-- in any given year, some team like a Boise State might also have a great record and better ranking and get awarded the slot. Rankings are ultimately opinions and out of our control.

I misunderstood and was referring specifically to this year where we do control it now. We definitely don’t control it staring out each year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Also, I have just about lost all interest in the CFP. They don't even try to hide their bias anymore. How many years in a row do people need to see the same 4-5 teams play for a national championship before they get bored and stop watching and force the CFP to expand or change things up?

This was me during the break up of the Big East. Eventually I came to the point that USF is my alma mater so I will always be there for their games regardless...and enjoy each game one at time. But yes, in terms of the Pee 5, my level of interest is not what it once was. Your point about the same teams getting to the playoffs is correct. We can only hope that eventually people watching on tv will start to diminish because of it. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This was me during the break up of the Big East. Eventually I came to the point that USF is my alma mater so I will always be there for their games regardless...and enjoy each game one at time. But yes, in terms of the Pee 5, my level of interest is not what it once one. Your point about the same teams getting to the playoffs is correct. We can only hope that eventually people watching on tv will start to diminish because of it. 

Yes, I should have clarified. I will always be there to support and cheer on my bulls, but outside of USF I have lost interest in keeping up with the rankings, watching the college football playoffs, watching the college football championship, or watching really any other bowl games. Hopefully more people stop watching and force them to change up the system. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

This fan base is so confused on the UCF thing so let's break down cheering points. 

1. We cheer for all AAC teams out of conference. Including UCF. It helps conference perception. 

2. In conference, we currently want Cincinnati, Temple and UCF to lose as many games as possible. 

There should be no confusion. UCF beating Memphis does nothing to help USF. Memphis is a conference member.

Edited by HornHead

3 hours ago, HornHead said:

We cheer for all AAC teams out of conference. Including UCF.

No “we” don’t, not all AAC teams.

Some still don’t get this whole Rivalry thingy .....

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

No “we” don’t, not all AAC teams.

Some still don’t get this whole Rivalry thingy .....

Exactly-- and even if you don't think it is a rivalry (it is)-- I am free to hate a school and wish them nothing but the worst. My "rooting" has made minimal impact on the events of games - especially the ones I watch on TV. UCF can go to hell for all I care if it means we win over a recruit both schools want to sign.

11 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Exactly-- and even if you don't think it is a rivalry (it is)-- I am free to hate a school and wish them nothing but the worst. My "rooting" has made minimal impact on the events of games - especially the ones I watch on TV. UCF can go to hell for all I care if it means we win over a recruit both schools want to sign.

It’s funny. For so many years many tried to push the rivalry on us when it wasn’t one. Now that it is one, some just don’t get it. 

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

It’s funny. For so many years many tried to push the rivalry on us when it wasn’t one. Now that it is one, some just don’t get it. 

yeah-- the whole thing seemed sort of inevitable. When we got the BE invite, we had the upper hand and tried to distance ourselves for so long. Forced (more or less) into 4 game series that we dominated, most were hopeful that we had escaped their grasp/orbit. Then the BE implodes and we are relegated back to them in such a bad turn of events and the timing was even worse as we were floundering.

From what I've read-- this is not unlike other natural rivalries-- there is typically one team in the set that tries to avoid it happening (UF/FSU, Texas/OU, etc) until events finally drag them together.

But the main thrust of most fans (and I believe the football program to a large extent under CJL) to avoid playing them was to avoid giving them any help to grow their program. Mostly it was out of spite-- as CJL said they refused to play us in our first couple of seasons. Then once we were in CUSA and the BE-- suddenly they desired to play us. They did not want to give us any games when we started-- they were did the same thing in 1998 that we later tried doing to them as we got into the BCS. Fair play imo.

We had similar complaints about Southern Miss though some of that was apprently unfounded- about when our team could join CUSA. Nothing really came of that other than it is probably an unwritten rule to never offer/schedule them going forward.

Now we are stuck together for good it appears. I just wish we could get arrangement with UF or FSU or Miami.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

yeah-- the whole thing seemed sort of inevitable. When we got the BE invite, we had the upper hand and tried to distance ourselves for so long. Forced (more or less) into 4 game series that we dominated, most were hopeful that we had escaped their grasp/orbit. Then the BE implodes and we are relegated back to them in such a bad turn of events and the timing was even worse as we were floundering.

From what I've read-- this is not unlike other natural rivalries-- there is typically one team in the set that tries to avoid it happening (UF/FSU, Texas/OU, etc) until events finally drag them together.

But the main thrust of most fans (and I believe the football program to a large extent under CJL) to avoid playing them was to avoid giving them any help to grow their program. Mostly it was out of spite-- as CJL said they refused to play us in our first couple of seasons. Then once we were in CUSA and the BE-- suddenly they desired to play us. They did not want to give us any games when we started-- they were did the same thing in 1998 that we later tried doing to them as we got into the BCS. Fair play imo.

We had similar complaints about Southern Miss though some of that was apprently unfounded- about when our team could join CUSA. Nothing really came of that other than it is probably an unwritten rule to never offer/schedule them going forward.

Now we are stuck together for good it appears. I just wish we could get arrangement with UF or FSU or Miami.

UF and FSU will never play us on a consistent basis for the reasons you listed about us playing ucf in the early days. Sure will get an occasional series here and there but it will be sporadic at best. 

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

UF and FSU will never play us on a consistent basis for the reasons you listed about us playing ucf in the early days. Sure will get an occasional series here and there but it will be sporadic at best. 

yeah-- they both have enough rivalry action. Miami seems like the next best chance at getting an in state rivalry. I thought our 5 game series would get us there. I think what is holding us back is being non P5. It weakens our bargaining power for any series. Very unfair.