• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Times is not sending a reporter to Tulsa

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

17 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

If they're that bad off and going down the road to a digital world by not covering away games for their local teams, then why wouldn't I just get my stories from USA Today or other generic national source?

It's not all away games ................... yet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

Mike, I just don't get that.  I'm thinking they could have sent JK for about $700 total (air, hotel and a couple meals)?? What am I missing?  I can't believe the largest newspaper in the number 13 media market in the country wouldn't spend less than a grand to cover the local school who is #23 nationally.

There is zero return on that investment.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Why would any paper send a reporter to cover an away game if it’s on tv? Hell you see the game better and you can listen to the post game interviews on line. It’s one of the reasons why I have never felt compelled to move back to Tampa. One can get all coverage anywhere. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Why would any paper send a reporter to cover an away game if it’s on tv? Hell you see the game better and you can listen to the post game interviews on line. It’s one of the reasons why I have never felt compelled to move back to Tampa. One can get all coverage anywhere. 

Those are good points and I think would definitely apply to wasting money on the two games they've chosen not send a writer to ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Why cover a home game then?  Do you believe it's the same for Bolts, Bucs and Rays?  Seriously curious about this.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, 79 Bull said:

Why cover a home game then?  Do you believe it's the same for Bolts, Bucs and Rays?  Seriously curious about this.

Maybe. Can someone provide a reason of why being there is so special relative to being a reporter? I suspect the one big advantage is that you can ask your own questions after the game. During the game, you might be able to comment on the mood of the crowd or anything that you notice from the bench. But overall, I don’t see it as a significant difference relative to me being a reader. Now, for a journalist it may be more important to be there because you are capturing things that are not noticeable.I suspect the one big bandages that you can ask your own questions after the game. Not being a reporter I am simply not sure.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Will it be much different than the coverage we get on a daily basis?

I am not knocking Joey Knight. I have no complaint about his articles. There just is very little coverage about the program. An article every other day or so can’t be in depth coverage.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I was a sports writer in 1993 for the Manassas Journal Messenger prior to joining the military. A stringer then (what I initially started as before getting the Sports Writer byline) was paid $25/story. Most nights, I would write two articles... some nights it would be three articles. I have no doubt the money is better today. I would assume a stringer is making $200 to write the article once you take into consideration how much time is involved. Paying someone $200 is a lot cheaper than flying someone to Tulsa and back. At least someone is covering the game I suppose.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

One thing we have seen over the last 5 or so years. Athletic departments are covering themselves bigger and better. There is a ton of content being produced for gousfbulls.com and its good content. 

👍🏿