• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Times is not sending a reporter to Tulsa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

Mike, I just don't get that.  I'm thinking they could have sent JK for about $700 total (air, hotel and a couple meals)?? What am I missing?  I can't believe the largest newspaper in the number 13 media market in the country wouldn't spend less than a grand to cover the local school who is #23 nationally.

Money is tight. Tulsa is an expensive place to go to. I am guessing it would have cost about $1000. 

If they are not only not sending someone to UF at Vandy, and not paying a stringer up there to cover the game, then i can't really complain about this. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, Rizman said:

That is why I don't subscribe to the paper.  I guess planning ahead and getting a cheap hotel and flight was not worth it.  

how are they supposed to pay for the flight and cheap hotel if nobody is subscribing to their paper?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

1 minute ago, Mike Stuben said:

Money is tight. Tulsa is an expensive place to go to. I am guessing it would have cost about $1000. 

If they are not only not sending someone to UF at Vandy, and not paying a stringer up there to cover the game, then i can't really complain about this. 

what if we ask nicely for you to complain a little bit?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Mike, I just don't get that.  I'm thinking they could have sent JK for about $700 total (air, hotel and a couple meals)?? What am I missing?  I can't believe the largest newspaper in the number 13 media market in the country wouldn't spend less than a grand to cover the local school who is #23 nationally.

you do realize that industry is hemorrhaging money right?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It would be great if they could cover, but their investigative reporting payoffs and the hefty salary they pay their tenured "journalists" takes most of their budget, I'm sure. Beat reporting gets the scraps...if there are any, and Bulls beat reporting gets the back-page salary/perks.

/rant

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

Just now, raptorcj said:

It would be great if they could cover, but their investigative reporting payoffs and the hefty salary they pay their tenured "journalists" takes most of their budget, I'm sure. Beat reporting gets the scraps...if there are any, and Bulls beat reporting gets the back-page salary/perks.

/rant

aha!

I knew this was somehow that hobo derelict Martin Fennelly's fault.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,649
  • Days Won:  6

I guess I'm really naive about all of this.  I just figure if they are going to survive at all in the digital space, they'll need to cover the local sports teams (that they know, not other stringers) in person so their content has some validity and personal experience to it.  If they're that bad off and going down the road to a digital world by not covering away games for their local teams, then why wouldn't I just get my stories from USA Today or other generic national source?  If that's the future, just shut it down now and stop the bleeding.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465

One thing we have seen over the last 5 or so years. Athletic departments are covering themselves bigger and better. There is a ton of content being produced for gousfbulls.com and its good content. 

Of course, you will never get the full picture, in that gousfbulls.com isn't there to report on coaches on the hot seat or NCAA violations. They are giving us positive content (and that isn't a knock, it just falls outside of their mission).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

It's a dying industry. Can't blame them for cutting costs.

This

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

45 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Excellent point