• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students to vote on tuition raise for on campus stadium

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

read a couple of pages and that was plenty

I would hope the students do not vote for this idea. They have enough bills to pay and lumping this on all of them is not fair-- we already do that with the athletic fee.

I hope they do but the choice is theirs.  Go check out the in state tuition for NJ State schools and an extra $100 or so per year seems like chump change.  

USF https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-florida-main-campus/paying-for-college/tuition-and-fees/#secPrice

NJ State Schools  https://studentaccounts.tcnj.edu/files/2018/07/18-19UGIS.pdf

And if I'm reading this correctly that is $8,285 per semester in NJ and $6,410 per YEAR for USF.  It's a freakin bargain. And the Bright Futures program gets a high percentage in for nada.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I hope they do but the choice is theirs.  Go check out the in state tuition for NJ State schools and an extra $100 or so per year seems like chump change.  

USF https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-florida-main-campus/paying-for-college/tuition-and-fees/#secPrice

And if I'm reading this correctly that is $8,285 per semester in NJ and $6,410 per YEAR for USF.  It's a freakin bargain. And the Bright Futures program gets a high percentage in for nada.  

fair enough -- my point isn't that they could not afford it. More that alumni/non-student fans who have paying jobs should be the ones ponying up.

I say this only because a large proportion of college students probably don't care about sports or at the least football. Some could counter that sports minded fans might not care about USF arts or some other area. If the school has decided to adopt the position that sports is an inclusive LARGER part of their academic/college experience-- I suppose you could sell it that way. But it seems a bit disproportionate in terms of fund distribution. Does the library or some other part of school suffer/benefit? I'm not sure - I want to believe it adds to the overall USF package.

Please understand that I am not against an OCS-- I just want it done when it makes financial sense. At some point- yes-- we will have one. But for those 6-10 football events held there, is it justified when better amenities like RJS are viable and practically a luxury? Maybe it is time- I know it is past the time they started fund raising specifically for it.

One thing though-- I am trying to remember if this was put to a student vote back when they were deciding to add football and increase fees. Either way-- I guess we will see how important current students see it based on the voting.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

20 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

So how much are the Joisey students paying for Intercollegiate Athletics...football in particular?  Students should not be burdened with paying millions to support a business.

Chump change to you, but not chump change to students who have work at low paying jobs to put themselves through college.   

• Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

So how much are the Joisey students paying for Intercollegiate Athletics...football in particular?  Students should not be burdened with paying millions to support a business.

Chump change to you, but not chump change to students who have work at low paying jobs to put themselves through college.   

Because none of them put out $100 for beer per year.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Because none of them put out $100 for beer per year.

And no one seems to mind the Financial Aid fee students have to pay whether they receive it or not. When I was in grad school, I didn't go into the Marshall Center for 4 years and I had to keep paying for it in my tuition. Never once used the Health Center. Transportation access? What the hell is that, the Bull Runner? Or is it paying for the parking lots I have to pay to use? There's even a $20 Student Union Enhancement Fee...

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, E.T. said:

Most of us acknowledge that an IPF will get us closer to an OCS.

I'm not sure where I saw that we overflowed... but I can tell you that the end zone sections were maxed. Still stand by the can't blame students for not going to games statement (one that flies here ALL the time, as you know). Point is - just win. People will show up and support will grow.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

On September 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

That should be against state law.  Students are already required to pay a student athletic fee.  Students that want to help fund a stadium should donate as much as they wish, those who do not shouldn’t have to.  The stadium should be funded by alumni and others who wish to, not on the backs of students.

Are you also "Quo Vadis" on the CSN sports board?  I see very similar crybaby attitudes 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Are you also "Quo Vadis" on the CSN sports board?  I see very similar crybaby attitudes 

No, not me.   So, when someone expresses opinions that you don’t agree with, you label them crybabies.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

5 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

No, not me.   So, when someone expresses opinions that you don’t agree with, you label them crybabies.

Pretty much...

if the US Senate can do it, so can I.