• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barnett Wins the Starting Job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

I think the term "pocket passer" will soon be right next to "eight track."

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

Why is there perception that BB is not a dual threat QB?

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, MMW said:

I think this makes a lot of sense.  We always seem to have access to dual threat QB's and perhaps rely of them due to OL troubles we have.  My memory might be fuzzy but I believe our last two HC's preferred pocket passing and even tried to convert the talent we had to fit that scheme to no avail.

It seems that now that we have a so called pocket passer Gilbert will get to implement the system he wants.  That does not say the BK or CO were not solid passers from the pocket.  I really haven't seen enough to know their strengths and weaknesses.

My only knock on Kean was that he did not seem to provide a spark on the few occasions he was in the game.  Someone compared his HC career to Grothe or something but Grothe was special the moment he stepped on the field. 

Sterling Gilbert has never ran a pro style... He runs veer and shoot. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Gotta say, probably been said...I don't care who our starting QB is as long as they take us to an AAC championship. Consistent play, tremendous effort, extreme ability should all equal lots of points that's it..now go forth and conquer.

footnote: and a D that consistently kicks ass 

what do we always say?  Go Bull's! 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

19 minutes ago, Polkcountybull said:

I have no idea... the kid ran all of the time in High School.  I've seen him run a like a 80 TD running away from guys.  I guess because he a tall white guy people assume he cant run.  His straight ahead speed is pretty frigg'n good.  The guy is an excellent drop-back QB though and that's what they rated him as.  Doesn't mean this entire other dynamic doesn't exist.  I would have rated him as a dual threat... but I don't mind peoples perception of him as that... hopefully other teams coaches approach him like that early on.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I have no idea... the kid ran all of the time in High School.  I've seen him run a like a 80 TD running away from guys.  I guess because he a tall white guy people assume he cant run.  His straight ahead speed is pretty frigg'n good.  The guy is an excellent drop-back QB though and that's what they rated him as.  Doesn't mean this entire other dynamic doesn't exist.  I would have rated him as a dual threat... but I don't mind peoples perception of him as that... hopefully other teams coaches approach him like that early on.  

Shhhh...let’s keep all of this on the down low...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

19 minutes ago, Polkcountybull said:

Does it matter?

Are you a dual-threat QB because you are fast or because running the ball is something you have shown you can do? From what I understand, CO can run, but his high school stats sure as **** didn't make him a threat to run the ball. Hence the reason he was listed as a Pro-Style QB everywhere. As for BB, from what I understand, he has some speed and has shown he can pick up yards with his legs. But, he doesn't fit the bill of a burner playing QB, so it's easier to just say he's not a dual-threat guy.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Calibull said:

When I initially watched his film he didn't look that agile...I watched his film again and it wasn't that he couldn't move...there was nothing he could do on some of those plays that were jail breaks.  I am used to seeing Q pull a magic trick and maneuver his way out of almost any rush.  He actually looked pretty nimble watching the film again 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

6 minutes ago, bullsonparade said:

When I initially watched his film he didn't look that agile...I watched his film again and it wasn't that he couldn't move...there was nothing he could do on some of those plays that were jail breaks.  I am used to seeing Q pull a magic trick and maneuver his way out of almost any rush.  He actually looked pretty nimble watching the film again 

He's got Aaron Rodgers type mobility.   Very good straight line speed and sneaky enough change of direction to pick up yards or get out of trouble when needed but nobody is going to mistake him for Lamar Jackson or Quinton Flowers.