• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Redshirt Rule - What If?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I know this must have come up somewhere, but what if the new redshirt rule that takes effect this fall was in place 5 years ago. We would all be expecting a run for the conference title with Q as our 5th year Sr. QB. 

This rule will revolutionize college football, as most kids will play parts of 5 seasons going forward. Which also means more grad transfers. Lots to plan for, I would expect a lot of true freshmen getting to play against Elon. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I love the new rule as it helps to keep freshmen engaged during the season.   If we can get a couple blowouts we can definitely get some of the young kids in this season to break them in a big before they become bigger contributors next year.  

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Another good thing about the rule is the bowl game. With Pro Ready stars choosing to sit out. Coaches now have the ability to use up and coming freshmen  to get big game experience without compromising their RS instead of using a backup that they believe will get jumped by that freshman. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Another good thing about the rule is the bowl game. With Pro Ready stars choosing to sit out. Coaches now have the ability to use up and coming freshmen  to get big game experience without compromising their RS instead of using a backup that they believe will get jumped by that freshman. 

That's a great point, but does the rule mention bowl games? Would you "save" a promising freshman for the last few games of the season?

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

5 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

That's a great point, but does the rule mention bowl games? Would you "save" a promising freshman for the last few games of the season?

The rule has no game restrictions outside of four total. I think when you look at it, you reserve the OOC games (Unless its a Ohio State vs Oklahoma situation) and the Bowl game. It really depends on the situation because you would have to know that a kid is leaving. 

I think it would really help Freshmen QB's who waiting for the Pro Ready guy to leave. Assuming he sits out the BG, thats a great chance to see the future. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

The rule has no game restrictions outside of four total. I think when you look at it, You reserve the OOC Unless its a (Ohio State vs Oklahoma situation) games and the Bowl game. It really depends on the situation because you would have to know that a kid is leaving. 

I think it would really help Freshmen QB's who waiting for the Pro Ready guy to leave. Assuming he sits out the BG, thats a great chance to see the future. 

Yea, I should've googled first. As much as I hate espn, there's this;

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23861759/what-does-four-game-redshirt-rule-mean-division-teams

BTW, thanks for the points.

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I'm torn as to whether or not this rule will ultimately benefit the G5s or the P5s. On the one hand, it does give us the opportunity to use some guys at positions of need and to see what certain guys can do. On the flip-side, one of the things we could use as a bargaining chip in getting the high 3 and low 4 star kids to come and play here was the possibility of immediate playing time. This gives the P5s the ability to let a true freshman play in a few games against lower caliber teams, potentially reducing the appeal of going to a school like USF and competing immediately for playing time. Time will ultimately tell if it is a net positive or negative. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm torn as to whether or not this rule will ultimately benefit the G5s or the P5s. On the one hand, it does give us the opportunity to use some guys at positions of need and to see what certain guys can do. On the flip-side, one of the things we could use as a bargaining chip in getting the high 3 and low 4 star kids to come and play here was the possibility of immediate playing time. This gives the P5s the ability to let a true freshman play in a few games against lower caliber teams, potentially reducing the appeal of going to a school like USF and competing immediately for playing time. Time will ultimately tell if it is a net positive or negative. 

Yeah I can see that some...but with a G5 its not just a few games in a blowout but actual starter all season...how you would need to sell that as a G5 team.

I think it will help for depth and rotation on the lines.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I already miss QF. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

48 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

There are plenty of players in FL and nationally to go around. I doubt it will make much difference in the long run.