• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Redshirt Rule - What If?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm torn as to whether or not this rule will ultimately benefit the G5s or the P5s. On the one hand, it does give us the opportunity to use some guys at positions of need and to see what certain guys can do. On the flip-side, one of the things we could use as a bargaining chip in getting the high 3 and low 4 star kids to come and play here was the possibility of immediate playing time. This gives the P5s the ability to let a true freshman play in a few games against lower caliber teams, potentially reducing the appeal of going to a school like USF and competing immediately for playing time. Time will ultimately tell if it is a net positive or negative. 

It clearly benefits P5, now they can sell early playing time to someone that might not get playing time his freshman year.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm torn as to whether or not this rule will ultimately benefit the G5s or the P5s. On the one hand, it does give us the opportunity to use some guys at positions of need and to see what certain guys can do. On the flip-side, one of the things we could use as a bargaining chip in getting the high 3 and low 4 star kids to come and play here was the possibility of immediate playing time. This gives the P5s the ability to let a true freshman play in a few games against lower caliber teams, potentially reducing the appeal of going to a school like USF and competing immediately for playing time.  Time will ultimately tell if it is a net positive or negative. 

I'm not sure this will even be an issue.  I don't see how that would reduce the appeal of going to G5 schools in the American.  These kids don't want to just go out and play in a couple of games, they want to start or play a lot.  They want to contribute, they're not thinking about mop up time.  Also, coaches are trying to establish depth charts etc... they'll be some borderline guys who see time, but for most they'll get physically ready to play with bigger, stronger, and faster guys.  Most recruits are ready to play their first seasons anyway.  The vast majority of them aren't actually.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I actually like the changes.  I think schools like USF, UCF, Cinci, Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, etc... will be the biggest benefactors.   The upper tier G5 schools will see an influx of transfers and guys leaving other schools when they don't play, don't have things workout, realize they hate the systems, as well as getting homesick.  You'll have guys test the waters at 1 school and transfer out to another.  I think this rule will actually hurt bottom feeders in the P5 schools.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I actually like the changes.  I think schools like USF, UCF, Cinci, Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, etc... will be the biggest benefactors.   The upper tier G5 schools will see an influx of transfers and guys leaving other schools when they don't play, don't have things workout, realize they hate the systems, as well as getting homesick.  You'll have guys test the waters at 1 school and transfer out to another.  I think this rule will actually hurt bottom feeders in the P5 schools.

Agreed. If anything the transfers from P5 schools may happen a little later when a player realizes that his four game tryout still did not get him the playing time he desires. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

19 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I believe this rule will have a two edged sword on transfers:

It will greatly reduce undergrad transfers, as now most kids will use up their redshirt year as freshman, making it harder to transfer as they will lose a year of eligibility. 

It will also greatly increase grad transfers, as now more kids will have their degree and a year left to play, thus giving them more options to shop their talents around for more playing time. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

In a world set up to help the programs, Im glad they did something for the athletes. 

• Upvote 2