• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Strong's Future at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

34 minutes ago, charsibb said:

And yet, Stanford has the same type of academic challenge as GT and VU, yet they compete for championships virtually every year in every sport they field.

This is something that has always seemed weird to me.

True, their athletics dept has a different culture

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

^

Crappy conference, chance to win?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

And yet, Stanford has the same type of academic challenge as GT and VU, yet they compete for championships virtually every year in every sport they field.

This is something that has always seemed weird to me.

GTech has competed.  Vandy "competed" when they had Franklin.   Maybe they are not going to be able to sustain like Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, etc for long periods of time, but they can compete and at least when they do have that great year there is a shot.  ucf demonstrated again last year that a great year does not equal a shot for nonP5 schools

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

27 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

GTech has competed.  Vandy "competed" when they had Franklin.   Maybe they are not going to be able to sustain like Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, etc for long periods of time, but they can compete and at least when they do have that great year there is a shot.  ucf demonstrated again last year that a great year does not equal a shot for nonP5 schools

I don't entirely disagree and I think UCF last year was telling and depressing for the G5, however, they were coming off of a 6-19 run at the start of last year, 2 years removed from 0-12 and a losing record the year prior. They weren't on any radar at the beginning of last season.   I don't think UCF's 1-year breakout really qualifies to say that it will never happen. Now, if they go undefeated again this year and are left out of the playoffs, there will be no choice but to accept that the G5 will never get in.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, TheUpperHand said:

Not likely anytime soon. However, GT can make it to the playoffs by winning their conference. We can't. While it's probably more likely (though an extremely longshot) we go 12-1 or 13-0 this year than GT winning the ACC, it doesn't matter because it won't get us anywhere. Further, GT has at least won their conference relatively recently (2009) while we've yet to do so in our stints in CUSA, BEast, or the AAC. We haven't proven that we can go 12-1 or 13-0 which would be what we'd have to do to even debate whether we'd belong in the playoffs. I'd argue that GT has a better chance than USF to make the playoffs (there's at least a path) though neither GT or USF are likely to do so in the near future.

Georgia Tech is not winning there conference anytime soon.... I'd argue that USF has a better chance at going 13-0 and making the playoffs than Georgia Tech has of winning their conference and winning 12 or more games this or the next decade. 

27 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I don't entirely disagree and I think UCF last year was telling and depressing for the G5, however, they were coming off of a 6-19 run at the start of last year, 2 years removed from 0-12 and a losing record the year prior. They weren't on any radar at the beginning of last season.   I don't think UCF's 1-year breakout really qualifies to say that it will never happen. Now, if they go undefeated again this year and are left out of the playoffs, there will be no choice but to accept that the G5 will never get in.

That's irrelevant.  If Vandy or GT goes undefeated this year, they're in the playoff.  No question.   ucf didnt deserve to be in the playoff last year under the current set up and won't if they run the table this year either

11 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Georgia Tech is not winning there conference anytime soon.... I'd argue that USF has a better chance at going 13-0 and making the playoffs than Georgia Tech has of winning their conference and winning 12 or more games this or the next decade. 

It's going to be a very weak argument

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

38 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

It's going to be a very weak argument

It's true... I'm not saying USF has some great shot at a playoff... but Georgia Tech is not winning the ACC anytime this or the next decade.  I get maybe some of you guys like Georgia Tech... but they're basically an ACC bottom feeder who has off years of decent football.  That's just the truth... if that job opens, I don't think Strong would take it.  I think there is another schools I think he would take... one aint Tech. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

40 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I'd argue that USF has a better chance at going 13-0 and making the playoffs than Georgia Tech has of winning their conference and winning 12 or more games this or the next decade. 

I agree that we have a better chance of going 13-0 than Georgia Tech does of winning the ACC. But that doesn't get us into the playoffs. See UCF last year. They went 12-0 and only got to No. 10. No way making up that cancelled game and beating 5-6 Georgia Tech last year would have put them in the Top 4. Just like us going 13-0 this year with an AAC schedule and OOC against GT, Elon, Illinois, and UMass wouldn't get us anywhere near it. Out of the question. You'd have to go 13-0 the next year, too. This time with Wisconsin, GT, and BYU on the schedule. We can't run through the AAC unscathed and we'd have to do it two years in a row to have a chance. So say we go on a two-year run. Then playoffs? Maybe. But if we go 13-0 this year, there is just as good a chance that the P5 comes calling for CCS. And he'll jump because he knows the AAC will not get into the playoffs. Just like Frost knew. And Taggart. And Fuente. Ad nauseum. At that point, you're back to square one. There's so many breaks you need in the G5 that it's next to impossible. Meanwhile, all GT needs is one good year. Will that happen? No. I think we're talking two impossibilities. However, Tech is likely to pull the trigger and get rid of Johnson sooner rather than later. At that point they don't even have to find a Saban, Swinney, Meyer, Petersen, etc. They just need one good year.

Also, let's not pretend like 13 - 0 has been within arms reach. Last two years were our best team in a long time. We went 10 - 2 both times. Last year we were just as close to being 7 - 5 as we were 13 - 0. While we were within a touchdown of beating UCF and Houston, we were also within a touchdown of losing to Tulsa, Tulane, and Texas Tech. For every commodity on our roster (WR, DL, TE) there is an equally big question mark (QB, OL, K). I want it to happen, I'd love for it, too but I don't see it. However, when it does, please give me an 'I Told You So' because I'll gladly accept it. Either way, 'Go Bulls.'

49 minutes ago, Calibull said:

It's true... I'm not saying USF has some great shot at a playoff... but Georgia Tech is not winning the ACC anytime this or the next decade.  I get maybe some of you guys like Georgia Tech... but they're basically an ACC bottom feeder who has off years of decent football.  That's just the truth... if that job opens, I don't think Strong would take it.  I think there is another schools I think he would take... one aint Tech. 

Gtech won the ACC conference in 2009, we've never gone undefeated.  I have no idea of Strong would take the job.  That's going to have a lot to do with his personal goals.