• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The thrill is gone....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

CJL was a huge under achiever if u look at the big picture. But 4 some reason people think he is a God at USF. I respect his legacy, but 1st he was lucky USF got chosen for a BCS conference even though they had no history or achievements. While he was in a BCS conference, USF had average success at best. 

He took the program from operating out of trailers and using the coach's cars headlights to practice in the evening/night to a BCS conference, multiple season's ranked in the top 25, sent many players to the NFL, and built the rep as giant slayers.   Is he Bear Bryant?   No.  But what he did at USF as quickly as he did is pretty **** amazing. 

I still think he would have multiple conference titles by now if slap gate never happened.  We had built quality starting units that could play with about anyone but dept was always the problem in those mid season slumps.  If anyone got hurt we were usually forced to put in guys that needed another year or two before they could be thrust into that roll.   He was just starting to build that depth when slap gate happened.   I think we had some guys that had great potential but Skip Holtz's recruiting and player development sent us sliding about half way down the hill from where CJL had taken us.  We didn't start to reach that level again until Tags second to last season.   

Nobody will convince me that we lose to Rutgers if Walk Walker doesn't get hurt in that game.  I think the season goes completely different if that doesn't happen.   

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

46 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I think we had some guys that had great potential but Skip Holtz's recruiting and player development sent us sliding about half way down the hill from where CJL had taken us.

CJL took us there working with a different set of recruiting criteria than Skip.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

CJL took us there working with a different set of recruiting criteria than Skip.

CWT found guys that could hack it in the classroom and on the field.  This excuse is worthless.  I don't feel like hijacking this thread because you chose to die on lame excuse ridge.   

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

24 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

CWT found guys that could hack it in the classroom and on the field.  This excuse is worthless.  I don't feel like hijacking this thread because you chose to die on lame excuse ridge.   

I may be wrong but, I think Trip is agreeing with you.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

13 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I think you are wrong 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Considering past discussions on this he's not.   Either way it's a lame excuse and nothing more to suggest "We want you to fix the academics so our APR score goes up"  means a coach should just abandon finding good football players who are also good students and just look for kids who are just good in the classroom.  CWT and CCS have had no issues finding guys who can do both while at USF so it's just some lame excuse for a coach who was a nice guy who failed at USF.  

Everybody knows where everybody stands on Skip.  No need to beat this horses skeleton anymore.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

18 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Either way it's a lame excuse and nothing more to suggest "We want you to fix the academics so our APR score goes up"  means a coach should just abandon finding good football players who are also good students and just look for kids who are just good in the classroom.  CWT and CCS have had no issues finding guys who can do both while at USF so it's just some lame excuse for a coach who was a nice guy who failed at USF.  

Everybody knows where everybody stands on Skip.  No need to beat this horses skeleton anymore.  

Boom!  I just wanted to say I approve of this message.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

24 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Considering past discussions on this he's not.   Either way it's a lame excuse and nothing more to suggest "We want you to fix the academics so our APR score goes up"  means a coach should just abandon finding good football players who are also good students and just look for kids who are just good in the classroom.  CWT and CCS have had no issues finding guys who can do both while at USF so it's just some lame excuse for a coach who was a nice guy who failed at USF.  

How can Skippy not be the one piece of common ground our fanbase can unite behind? His time with us was a constant decline, how can anyone defend him?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

How can Skippy not be the one piece of common ground our fanbase can unite behind? His time with us was a constant decline, how can anyone defend him?

Who are you and what have you done with puc?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Who are you and what have you done with puc?

Hating on CSH has always been one of the staples of my posting and should be a staple of USF fandom. Although he was nice guy and nice to Bourbon bull and most of the fans that doesn’t excuse his on field results.

• Upvote 1