• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well, there's a missed opportunity . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

While I’m sure it sucked, I don’t think there were more than handful of students taking classes that had scheduled exams during dead week AND also met on Fridays. I give USF a logistics pass on this one.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

On 7/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, HeadCoach said:

I had posted a topic that I asked to be removed, but what I kind of said went along with this thread. Until the university bridges the gap between athletics, clubs and academics all the advertising or lack of advertising in the world in my opinion won’t work. You have to create a partnership where people have each other’s back. 

This is what it really all boils down to.  We need to have everyone pointing in the right direction and working together and communicating.  It's like the annual conflict between the Greeks and early season football.  If these groups had a true partnership, were on the same page, and communicating things like that would get fixed instead of basically being an annual tradition.   Same as the lack of an athletics presences in the orientation.  Athletics appears to have sent stuff over and wanted to be a part of the orientation process but it was left out and it appears to be that the athletics people here were unaware.  

With all that said from what I have seen from Kelly so far I think issues like this will become a thing of the past. He seems to be very open to input and actually looking into things like this.  I think he will be much more proactive in making sure athletics works better with other university departments.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is what it really all boils down to.  We need to have everyone pointing in the right direction and working together and communicating.  It's like the annual conflict between the Greeks and early season football.  If these groups had a true partnership, were on the same page, and communicating things like that would get fixed instead of basically being an annual tradition.   Same as the lack of an athletics presences in the orientation.  Athletics appears to have sent stuff over and wanted to be a part of the orientation process but it was left out and it appears to be that the athletics people here were unaware.  

With all that said from what I have seen from Kelly so far I think issues like this will become a thing of the past. He seems to be very open to input and actually looking into things like this.  I think he will be much more proactive in making sure athletics works better with other university departments.  

Upper admin must take most of the responsibility here. I am sure our past ADs have tried to make changes relative to campus groups attending but this has not been enough. Hopefully Kelly has the political skills to get others on board and make it happen. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Upper admin must take most of the responsibility here. I am sure our past ADs have tried to make changes relative to campus groups attending but this has not been enough. Hopefully Kelly has the political skills to get others on board and make it happen. 

That's what I'm hoping.  The AD's job is not just to promote and engage with people about USF athletics outside the University but also within it.    His previous experience suggests he has the ability to politic and get multiple groups/orgs/departments to work together for common goals.  If another department, let's say the people who run the orientations aren't buying it's his job to win them over or work with someone who can, say Judy or another admin above him.

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

I wonder how many of the 15,378 Faculty & Staff have season ticket accounts in any sport?

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I wonder how many of the 15,378 Faculty & Staff have season ticket accounts in any sport?

VERY few. For the most part, faculty are pretty unimpressed with athletics. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

Back when there were faculty & staff sections at RJS, they were among the fullest sections at the games.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Back when there were faculty & staff sections at RJS, they were among the fullest sections at the games.   

What I’ve noticed over the years is, the more highly you think of yourself academically, the less you like athletics. I never met a single person in my history department or education department that cared about any school sport. My wife’s department has a handful of ticket holders and fans across multiple sports, but no one in her office really teaches classes or does research.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

37 minutes ago, JTrue said:

VERY few. For the most part, faculty are pretty unimpressed with athletics. 

That's just sad.

I consider myself a practitioner, not an academic, and all my teaching has been as an adjunct, but have always supported clubs/athletics/govt in every institution I've taught in. I suspect many adjuncts would feel the same.

Unfortunately, too many adjuncts hurts the accreditation, but too many academics is just as bad IMO, and hurts the "college life" outside the classroom.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

We aren't paid enough to afford such luxuries.