• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shane McClanahan Update

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

More than likely, we'll move on to someone else. It will be like one of his starts!

I saw a stat sheet of MLB starts and the number of IP has dropped over the last few years to under 6.  So as far as this discussion goes, it's a non-issue, at least as far as the SP lasts in a game on average.  I

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Brad said:

I saw a stat sheet of MLB starts and the number of IP has dropped over the last few years to under 6.  So as far as this discussion goes, it's a non-issue, at least as far as the SP lasts in a game on average.  I

Apparently you haven't paid attention this year.  Shane's 5-6 innings of  0-2 ERs is the reason we didn't win the conference ....... 🙄

But he's gone now so that elusive conference title should now be in the bag!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I'm not trying to bag on Shane...so I don't need the woe is Shane nonsense.  I'm just saying, if I saw that graphic right, that 5-6 innings is the new MLB norm.  You should be elated, not testy.  

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm not trying to bag on Shane...so I don't need the woe is Shane nonsense.  I'm just saying, if I saw that graphic right, that 5-6 innings is the new MLB norm.  You should be elated, not testy.  

I didn't think you were bagging on him, thought you were presenting a stat.  A stat that validates much of what I said about SM all season.  I've never been "woe is Shane" and I'm neither elated nor testy, just sarcastic.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think that has more to do with the value of true aces skyrocketing to the point that Zack Greinke and David Price were getting over 30 million a year at or around 30 years of age. To avoid those faulty contracts, teams look for quality bullpens at pennies on the dollar and use them more often. If you have aces, they pitch deep into games still. Look at the Astros starting rotation. That has just become a luxury, unless you have aces still in their rookie deals like the Mets. They just couldn't stay healthy. 

However, there are no salaries in college baseball. You can recruit as many shut down aces as you can find, but they too are becoming few and far between in the "throw it as hard as you can in case it is a strike era" that are finding ourselves in. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

Velocity is more valued than control and pitch counts are all the rage.  By and large, pitchers do not throw as deep into games and bullpens are used much, much more.  No doubt.

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Are there a lot of millionaires in the GCL?

There's at least 2.  The Rays top pick is there right now as well.

A change of mind during discussions late Thursday led to a deadline day deal for USF LHP Shane McClanahan and the Rays.

The No. 31 overall pick signed for just about slot value at $2,230,100 to start his pro career rather than go back to the Bulls as a redshirt junior. McClanahan told teams in an email during last month's draft he wanted $3 million.

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/06/rays-journal-ex-usf-ace-shane-mcclanahan-signs/

Edited by chapelbull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, chapelbull said:

A change of mind during discussions late Thursday led to a deadline day deal for USF LHP Shane McClanahan and the Rays.

The No. 31 overall pick signed for just about slot value at $2,230,100 to start his pro career rather than go back to the Bulls as a redshirt junior. McClanahan told teams in an email during last month's draft he wanted $3 million.

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/06/rays-journal-ex-usf-ace-shane-mcclanahan-signs/

That change of mind was probably something like "If I don't sign those people on the bullspen will trash me for another year and I'll lose another $800k."

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

So his slide this year cost him $800k.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So his slide this year cost him $800k.

Not even that. He started the year on a 35 inning scoreless streak and closed it out by giving up 30 runs in 40 innings. You can narrow it down even further and say from the UConn game on March 23rd when we started conference play, Shane cost himself $800k.

• Upvote 1