• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student fee to possibly fund on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

an on campus stadium isnt needed until we play in a real conference

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

20 hours ago, gobowls said:

I'm a student and I think Moneer would be the best SG president from past to present to make this happen. I just highly doubt SG senate would make this a priority in my experience with working for a student fee funded department. Student Government is  all about saving money and keeping the cost per student attendance to be low. They're going to see the ~$50 per every student enrolled and notice how not all of these students are attending making the cost per head even higher. 

this is a tax

i am against taxation without representation

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Yes, yes we would, just as the Marshall Center fee eventually went away. I paid that fee. I saw it on my tuition statements for a few years-then not long after it got built, by the time I graduated, it had stopped. 

If this fee is per semester, you're talking at the low end $6M per year, to possibly as much as $14M-$15M per year (could be over $20M if USF charges for summer semester too). That's not chump change, and assuming we build the $200M stadium that Harlan put out in his proposals, the interest cost (just estimating at 4% per year), would be $8M. You better have some extra funding in place. USF is struggling to raise funds here. The CITF could pay out $15M when the time comes, but it can only be used once (can't be used for debt service, just for initial construction). USF needs to find $50M in donations, then you add the $15M in CITF money, then perhaps the other $135M can be debt serviced. 

Here is why it's possible it won't go through-the only way that fee is getting approved is through a ballot measure in the student body elections. The soonest SG can do that is the midterm elections in the fall, and it STILL has to pass. Even if you only have 5-8k students voting, it's going to take a lot work-and for whatever reason, USF hasn't gotten enough Greek buyin on football if they're still doing rush in the fall on home game-days. 

Did the fee go away or did they find another fee to replace it?  I honesty don’t know, but know that it’s rare in fees, tax, etc. for it to truly go away.  Instead they are normally renamed, reassigned, etc 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Untapped revenue;  Out of State Tuition

USF - In-state: $21,410 Out-of-state: $32,324

UF - In-state: $21,131 Out-of-state: $43,408

FSU - In-state: $$22,575 Out-of-state: $37,019

UCF - In-state: $22,501 Out-of-state: $38,600

FIU - In-state; $6,565.88    Out-of-State; $18,964.75

FAU - In-state: $24,567 Out-of-state: $40,123

The annual list price to attend University of Miami on a full time basis for 2016/2017 is $64,306 for all students regardless of their residency. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

If I am reading this correctly, you think if they dropped student fees for athletics and then only charged those that wanted to attend games a separate fee that our revenue would go up?   If that is what you are saying I would disagree.  But maybe I'm not quite getting it.

Students at Michigan WANT to go to the games.  And I have no idea if there are student fees there but you can get away with charging them. At USF I don't think that would work. We don't get much student interest and some of those going are probably only going because it is included with their student fees and would not pay to go.

I didn't suggest that we drop student fees for athletics as students are still able to go to other sporting events at no additional cost. I was suggesting that they instead charge a fee specifically for student football tickets that way those who do not follow football aren't forced to pay the extra proposed $50-$80. 

I completely agree that such a system could have been quite succesful 10 years ago when people were wrapped around the sundome waiting for tix. However, it would be interesting to see how many students would end up paying an extra fee to go to the games. It sounds crazy but people tend to want things more when it's not accessible to everyone. Once again just a thought, but how much can we lose its not like students are cramming the endzone like we used to. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,073
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, smazza said:

this is a tax

i am against taxation without representation

:roflmao:

Selectively, of course.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, 370Bull said:

I didn't suggest that we drop student fees for athletics as students are still able to go to other sporting events at no additional cost. I was suggesting that they instead charge a fee specifically for student football tickets that way those who do not follow football aren't forced to pay the extra proposed $50-$80. 

I completely agree that such a system could have been quite succesful 10 years ago when people were wrapped around the sundome waiting for tix. However, it would be interesting to see how many students would end up paying an extra fee to go to the games. It sounds crazy but people tend to want things more when it's not accessible to everyone. Once again just a thought, but how much can we lose its not like students are cramming the endzone like we used to. 

I wasn't sure if you were suggesting dropping the fee or not, thus the way I phrased my response.  I still think the number of students at games would decrease if you asked them to pay over and above the fees tacked on to their tuition.  I guess even if you got 100 to do it that would be that much extra in the coffers.  But then the stands look more empty than usual.  Not sure if the small financial bump would be worth it. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Yes, yes we would, just as the Marshall Center fee eventually went away. I paid that fee. I saw it on my tuition statements for a few years-then not long after it got built, by the time I graduated, it had stopped. 

Did it go away?  I see there is still a student union upkeep fee

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Charging students for football games I doubt will ever work here. Hit all of the students initially with the ocs fees since they will be the group most positively affected ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Did it go away?  I see there is still a student union upkeep fee

It's called Student Union Enhancements , whatever tha means, now ..