• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF new requirements

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

23 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

I had a 1100 and a 3.5 GPA as an out of state Freshman in 05 and got in no problem. No shot I get in under the new rules haha. 

Didnt the SAT scoring format change though? https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/living/sat-test-changes-schools/index.html 

It looks like they are going back to the old scale.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

On 2/11/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bausfkid said:

Genshaft has done a masterful job of raising academic standards during her tenure.  

This is all part of the grand plan.  We need to fit academically into one of the P5 conferences.  

This is great news.  As always the left will argue for equality and exceptions.  We should have tough standards where we accept the best and brightest. 

Go Bulls!

I had no idea this was a political issue....guess i just lost my lefty card. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

57 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Didnt the SAT scoring format change though? https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/living/sat-test-changes-schools/index.html 

It looks like they are going back to the old scale.

It changed the year after I took it according to the link... Kids these days with GPA's over a 4.0 also make little sense to me and by the time I have kids and they're in high school I'm sure it will be something completely different.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The standards definitely don't apply to men's athletics in money producing sports. There's maybe been a handful of football players over the last two decades that could meet the current "recommended" guidelines at USF (and I sure wasn't close to being one of them). That's not mocking our former and current players - that's just reality. It's no different across the country for any FBS P5 program. I watched the interview from the player the other day that committed to UF over Bama and UT where his mother walked out of his ceremony. Education obviously doesn't matter when you have that type of talent.

I'm truly amazed that some of these kids graduated from high school, let alone will receive a degree from a university. It's funny when you listen to a kid speak gibberish or you read his poorly written "100" Instagram message about committing to "such and such" university. Even more amusing is when they indicate they intend on enrolling at the university in the Spring as they graduated early from high school. I'm like WTF? How did Sherlock even get into high school? 

What we all know but can't talk about is how there's an established system/swamp in place that pushes unqualified individuals through universities on an annual basis. It's a money grab by the universities... plain and simple. The unqualified students receiving degrees - they're not victims though. If you're not smart enough to capitalize on a first class education for pennies on the dollar, you're not the victim. You're part of the problem. 

I would love to see a placement exam (not a pass/fail exam) given to everyone that enrolls at USF (the military does the ASFAB for instance) their first week on campus. Prior to graduation - maybe at the beginning of a person's senior year, I would love to see an exit exam that measures the return on knowledge gained at USF. The exam doesn't have to be timed. There should be a basic math section. There should also be a basic written section. If you're not able to crunch numbers or write at a level that reflects you should be graduating (let alone admitted to a university), then the university must provide you a means to get up to speed prior to presenting you a degree. If they can't provide the means to get you up to speed, then your money owed to the school is wiped out (however the student doesn't get credit for the time they've put forth at the university). If we really want people to succeed, then we must hold the system accountable on both ends. One way to improve someone's lot in life is through education... however I've seen people graduate from USF become teachers when they should have never been accepted to USF in the first place. That continuing trend destroys the next generation of students going through the system.

End of rant... Go Bulls!        

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

17 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

It changed the year after I took it according to the link... Kids these days with GPA's over a 4.0 also make little sense to me and by the time I have kids and they're in high school I'm sure it will be something completely different.

There is probably more grade inflation over the years thus requiring USF to raise the standard.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

17 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

The GPA's nowadays are just ridiculous! When I graduated in 2000 the highest possible GPA would be 5.0 if you took all honors or AP classes (which weren't offered for many classes). Now the advanced classes have a cumulative effect on GPA's so people are graduating with GPA's over 7...

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

20 minutes ago, TExpress said:

The GPA's nowadays are just ridiculous! When I graduated in 2000 the highest possible GPA would be 5.0 if you took all honors or AP classes (which weren't offered for many classes). Now the advanced classes have a cumulative effect on GPA's so people are graduating with GPA's over 7...

What’s crazy is in some parts of the country a 5.0 wasn’t even possible. In the Seattle area even those with AP and honors classes could only achieve a 4.0 while I was in school, I don’t think it had even changed by ‘07 when my brother graduated. Ridiculous is definitely the right word to describe grades these days.   

• Topic Count:  1,032
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Days Won:  10

I fogged a mirror in 1978 and I was in.  It would have been the same for UF or any other state school at the time.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

50 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

ASVAB  (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) not ASFAB.

What you are suggesting is pretty much what the ACT measures, which is why many universities require it rather than the SAT.

I was too lazy to look up whether it was ASVAB or ASFAB (I deferred to the wrong answer). Thanks for catching it.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

On 2/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, Who'sYourData? said:

Those are guidelines, not hard requirements.  Exceptions are made all the time for all kinds of reasons, someone that did an extraordinary amount of volunteering, someone that is a great candidate for a particular school though they don't meet the exact grade requirements.  Athletes fall into a separate bucket.  They have an above average ability to succeed because of all the resources athletics department makes available to them.

theyre-more-like-guidelines-than-actual-rules.jpg