• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF new requirements

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,344
  • Days Won:  5

For incoming students starting  fall 18 will seek an average weighted gpa of 4.2 and SAT to 1400. How will this affect the incoming student athlete? Will it hurt?  My take is that it will hurt the process again. Didn’t we do this experiment before and we got the Skip Holtz Error?

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

Where was this information pulled from? Doubt this applies to all student athletes as you said average weighted GPA and SAT.

All women sports tend to do very well academically. The few football and basketball players (let's say 70 total that are average or below) will do little to affect an average when blended into an incoming student body totalling 8000-12000.

I read it in tbtimes today but when I tried to find link it moved. Traveling today so can’t spend much looking for it now. I guess what I was asking if the general students requirements are gong up do the athletes as well and if so we won’t be even sniffing fringe players. Hell even average students.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Those are guidelines, not hard requirements.  Exceptions are made all the time for all kinds of reasons, someone that did an extraordinary amount of volunteering, someone that is a great candidate for a particular school though they don't meet the exact grade requirements.  Athletes fall into a separate bucket.  They have an above average ability to succeed because of all the resources athletics department makes available to them.

Cool just don’t want to go down that path again. Of course  I want great student athletes but let them be in a separate buckets.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

The Harvard of the south ? 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

This Harvard on the Hillsborough. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,681
  • Days Won:  108

I know we've lost a couple of golfers and at least one WBB student to our Harvard standards.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

There will always be exceptions to the rule so I’d assume this won’t affect athletics much. Besides who am I to complain if my Alma Matter increased their academic standing and thus increasing the value of my degree?