• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF AND LOUISVILLE ANNOUNCE THREE-GAME FOOTBALL SERIES

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

How in the world has college football survived this long with this level of disparity?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

How in the world has college football survived this long with this level of disparity?

College football survived for most of that time because you didn't have 24/7 media outlets telling you what should or should not be relevant. If you supported a team, you didn't give a **** what others thought of it. You were there for the love of the team.

Edited by Triple B
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740

43 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I don’t I just recognize that the current system has too much disparity for the G5 teams to continue in anything that resembles P5 fashion when they are operating on 1/10 the income. Something has to give at some point we either need to end up with the money or face some harsh realities about how big the fall is from the 5th conference to the 6th. It’s basically like real estate you want to have the worst house in the best neighborhood vs having the best house in the worst neighborhood because when you comp it out over developing in poor areas is  bad investment. Our neighborhood is the wrong side of the tracks and we need to figure out how to move on up to the east side or move on over to the soccer fields.

I get where you are coming from and sort of understand you now.

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

College football survived for most of that time because you didn't have 24/7 media outlets telling you what should or should not be relevant. If you supported a team, you didn't give a **** what others thought of it. You were there for the love of the team.

I'm not going to blame the media, but I get your point.  Support of your team shouldn't hinge on the conference you are in or the names on the schedule.  The hazy fan support is a pretty big reason why we are not in a "P5" conference.  Eventually there will be a playoff system that incorporates all schools and/or a multiple champions for separate divisions.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:
1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I don’t I just recognize that the current system has too much disparity for the G5 teams to continue in anything that resembles P5 fashion when they are operating on 1/10 the income. Something has to give at some point we either need to end up with the money or face some harsh realities about how big the fall is from the 5th conference to the 6th. It’s basically like real estate you want to have the worst house in the best neighborhood vs having the best house in the worst neighborhood because when you comp it out over developing in poor areas is  bad investment. Our neighborhood is the wrong side of the tracks and we need to figure out how to move on up to the east side or move on over to the soccer fields.

I get where you are coming from and sort of understand you now.

Sure I understand, but I don't agree. Bulls football is a passion thing, not a quantitative analysis thing.

There's no ROA on affairs of the soul.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Sure I understand, but I don't agree. Bulls football is a passion thing, not a quantitative analysis thing.

There's no ROA on affairs of the soul.

I completely get that and I guess if I could be more passionate about being the best of those left behind it wouldn’t bother me as much but that just doesn’t get me that excited. We have about six years until everything shakes out again and I think when it does everyone left with out a chair will need to do some serious soul searching on the viability of trying to keep up with the Jones’s while working as their house keepers. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740

17 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I completely get that and I guess if I could be more passionate about being the best of those left behind it wouldn’t bother me as much but that just doesn’t get me that excited. We have about six years until everything shakes out again and I think when it does everyone left with out a chair will need to do some serious soul searching on the viability of trying to keep up with the Jones’s while working as their house keepers. 

Area wise we aren't Ruston, LA where CUSA is the only game in town. I have to reluctantly agree minor league college football isn't going to draw the local residents with no ties. I can be passionate about USF football and recognize the very tough spot we are in. This isn't a binary situation for me at least.

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

It hasn’t. The level of cash going to the P5 from tv and the “playoffs” is unprecedented, while those in the G5 have been left in the past fighting for scraps while hoping if they just keep spending everyone will take them seriously.

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It hasn’t. The level of cash going to the P5 from tv and the “playoffs” is unprecedented, while those in the G5 have been left in the past fighting for scraps while hoping if they just keep spending everyone will take them seriously.

Only been around for nearly 150 years ....

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Area wise we aren't Ruston, LA where CUSA is the only game in town. I have to reluctantly agree minor league college football isn't going to draw the local residents with no ties. I can be passionate about USF football and recognize the very tough spot we are in. This isn't a binary situation for me at least.

It’s not binary for me either but I think if we don’t make it in the next parousia we have to change something drastic, rebrand and relaunch. I’m not sure exactly what that is but a smaller venue closer to campus would probably be a good start. Students would be our biggest customers so we would need to cater to them. Also expanded tailgating like the old mall parking lot used to have couldn’t hurt. Never under any circumstances should we play during the week, noon games probably should go too. If tv doesn’t want to pay us then why bow down to their whims? For $3 million we will tell you when we are playing, put it on tv or don’t. Also more games not being on tv probably wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to us. If we get relegated to the minors forever we need to start thinking minor league  and not chasing that P6 pipe dream, it’s just not happening because the money says so.

• Upvote 1