• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Happy New Year all! So do the Bulls want Auburn or UCFast to win

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

http://www.zipmap.net/Florida/Orange_County/Orlando.htm

32816 is completely locked in by not-Orlando city limits. Weird.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:
8 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

If UCF and USF were both in a P5 conference, I would root for them all day long to win - conference pride and all.   But with both teams stuck in a crappy conference looking for a golden ticket out, I can't possibly root for them to have any success at any level.  There's no guarantee that any conference expansions would take both of us.  Right now, if there's expansion and one Florida team gets called up, guess what USF will be left out in the cold.

Unfortunately, this is a zero sum game and every man for himself.

This.  This.  This.

That is not necessarily true. The way conferences are currently set up-- there are two divisions with a championship game as the template. So a conference - let's say the Big 12 would benefit from having two schools from Florida added to the roster for recruiting reasons by splitting the teams into the separate divisions but also having them play each year as a rivalry game. Others have done this and the system works well. Even in a 14 team league, you need to play some teams from the other division to complete the conference schedule - the SEC is a perfect example of this. You play one team from the other division every year plus a rotating team or two as needed.

So with both of our schools fielding good teams this past season, we look attractive to that conference. We have good student population/size, play in large enough stadiums, offer great recruiting areas that coaches can make visits when they come to play us, and have great media markets.

That's how I see it at least. Our best shot to get into the Big 12 would be that route. We aren't getting into the SEC or the ACC -- and no other conferences really make much sense. I just wish the Big 12 would get on with it already.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

27 minutes ago, JTrue said:

http://www.zipmap.net/Florida/Orange_County/Orlando.htm

32816 is completely locked in by not-Orlando city limits. Weird.

is USF using Tampa as a mailing address or is it actually annexed by the City of Tampa? My understanding of the school was that the land is leased to the school by the state (a renewable 99 year lease, which I think started in the 1950s). We found this out when they were offering up those plots for a potential greek row (area behind the baseball stadium) before they went another route and built what is currently greek housing. That land situation impacted lending as it would require a huge down payment in order to qualify for those loans (easily million dollar properties at the time). anyway....

I would assume UCF might have a similar set up. Not sure if state leased land can be annexed by a municipal government.

But definitely not Oviedo. That was more of a dig I think.

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

is USF using Tampa as a mailing address or is it actually annexed by the City of Tampa? My understanding of the school was that the land is leased to the school by the state (a renewable 99 year lease, which I think started in the 1950s). We found this out when they were offering up those plots for a potential greek row (area behind the baseball stadium) before they went another route and built what is currently greek housing. That land situation impacted lending as it would require a huge down payment in order to qualify for those loans (easily million dollar properties at the time). anyway....

I would assume UCF might have a similar set up. Not sure if state leased land can be annexed by a municipal government.

Not a chance. Trip has WAY too much respect for our eastern brethren to make a dig at their expense. :D

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

USF is in the City of Tampa.  UCF is in unincorporated Orange County.  The city limits of Orlando are pretty far away right now.  Oviedo could try to annex it.  It's not totally uncommon for a city to span county lines, but logistically it is a nightmare, property taxes, sales taxes, etc., could be different.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

11 hours ago, ECUshoein said:

Unless the campus miraculously moved north of McCulloch (the county line) it's not even in the right county, much less Oviedo:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oviedo,+FL/@28.6382869,-81.2193027,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e7698f2645ae37:0xe8840886a49ff6c0!8m2!3d28.669997!4d-81.2081203

ftp://ftp.onetgov.net/divisions/Infomap/pub/GIS_DOWNLOADS/Standard Maps/Jurisdiction.pdf

In Orlando City Limits?

Go back to NC, bumpkin

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

That map just proves how screwed up our government is.  There are areas of unincorporated Orange county completely surrounded by the City of Orlando.  How is that even allowed?

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, charsibb said:

Not a chance. Trip has WAY too much respect for our eastern brethren to make a dig at their expense. :D

The original Oviedo comment that started the erroneous geography lesson wasn't by me ....................... this time.

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

That map just proves how screwed up our government is.  There are areas of unincorporated Orange county completely surrounded by the City of Orlando.  How is that even allowed?

I bet there are some interesting stories that accompany those areas ...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The original Oviedo comment that started the erroneous geography lesson wasn't by me ....................... this time.

Yeah...it was me...apparently This ECU guy thinks I am the first one to goof on Southern Oviedo Community College of Suntanning and Beer Ponging...

The Oviedo reference is a long running lame and not always funny, but sometimes is joke...hopefully that clears it up.

Edited by gmanbull93