• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What Charlie Strong Did Before the Game...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

On 12/24/2017 at 7:05 PM, Gatorbull325 said:

Our recruiting would sky rocket if we were a P5 school, so we wouldnt be middle of the pact too long. Hell i feel we can compete now. Our schedule may have been easy, but we are winning the games we are suppose to and our last 2 lossess was by a touch down.  

Weren't we a P6 school at one time?  And how many times did we finish Top 25?  I guess being in the Top 63 would be middle of the pack.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Glad to hear he did that... keep that up and I'll change my opinion of him quickly 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Weren't we a P6 school at one time?  And how many times did we finish Top 25?  I guess being in the Top 63 would be middle of the pack.

Yea but we didnt have Taggart or Strong at the time. I feel either one of rhem would have gotten recruiting classess in the top 30 if we was a p5 school

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

Couple of things---

1) yes-- good to see him show more emotion. I don't think that is too big a thing, though. First time I saw it was the video of him embracing QF on Senior night. A coach does not have to be emotional to be effective (Tony Dungy comes to mind).

2) The schedule we faced this season was abysmal. Not exactly our fault as our conference was having a down year for the most part. I'm not sure how well we can judge the strength of our team based on who we played. We're good in spurts.  I wouldn't say we dominated everyone to the point where we can say we are great. Having TT as our bowl opponent was more of the same -- and had we somehow taken down the AAC this year, got a shot at someone of note in the bowl game-- then we might be able to put a good measure on this. Texas Tech though is clearly middle of the pack Big 12. We've had much more impressive wins than this (in our history at least). I think we can admit that.

3) I was frustrated by CCS Coaching style -- he seems to sit on leads. I wonder if our slow starts are partly because we play cautious out of the gate. The play calling was limiting our offense far more often than fans would like. Especially after last season when we got to see the Gulf Coast offense really opening things up. The end results (i.e. total offense) may be the same but it felt like we were throttling QF instead of letting him play all out. I still am not sure changing the offensive scheme was necessary or the right move.

4) I will give credit to CCS for coming in and being an excellent calming presence to the team. We lost our winning coach and he did not fail to keep things moving along.

5) Not sure how well he is doing on the recruiting trail. That was a huge problem for Holtz if memory serves-- as we got worse and worse as we ran out of the Leavitt recruits. I am hoping he steps up in this area. If he gives us a great class this year-- USF should be able to compete going forward.

6) I got the impression that CCS saw this job as a stepping stone. Perhaps he decided to at the very least give it two years here. I thought for sure he would try to jump back to a P5 school after this season. Maybe he is happy here. But I am not counting on him being a long term coach at USF. It might be why I haven't been a huge supporter of his yet. I'm rooting for him but won't be upset if/when he gets scooped up by the "bigger program".

Overall-- he did a great job coming in here his first year. But let's not get too enamored. Next season will be a struggle when we lose so many starters to graduation. As we have seen in the past-- a great QB is what it takes to compete in college football (well NFL too). I hope we find our next guy soon. It will be nearly impossible to fill QF's shoes.

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I'm going to look at this season as the culmination of the last four years.

We really stunk badly four years ago. And it seemed like football was in the ICU.

It took a long time to climb out, two years to be exact. All the stuff with Mike White at the helm (I meant how he was utilized badly, etc.) and all the hand clapping before the snaps. Yikes!

We had a good year last season, and then we lost the head coach. Enter a new head coach and many new assistants.

By all standards from four years ago, we had a good season again.

The program is much, much better than where it was four years ago.

And we got to witness some really special players; they and the other guys rebuilt USF football.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, MikeG said:

3) I was frustrated by CCS Coaching style -- he seems to sit on leads. I wonder if our slow starts are partly because we play cautious out of the gate. The play calling was limiting our offense far more often than fans would like. Especially after last season when we got to see the Gulf Coast offense really opening things up. The end results (i.e. total offense) may be the same but it felt like we were throttling QF instead of letting him play all out. I still am not sure changing the offensive scheme was necessary or the right move.

You can wrap all of that up in one word. He's gutless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

Im happy with strong, this season and the future for USF. Our opponenta were weak, get over it, we are 10-2, 80% of our recruits signed early b/c they see the vision. What is there to be such a debbie downer about? Tennessee never won a title with Peyton Manning....they won it with Tee Martin. No reason we cant be great next year. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

People, people...we are winning games...a lot of them. Don’t understand why some need fireworks to go with it. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

15 hours ago, MikeG said:

Couple of things---

2) The schedule we faced this season was abysmal. Not exactly our fault as our conference was having a down year for the most part. I'm not sure how well we can judge the strength of our team based on who we played. We're good in spurts.  I wouldn't say we dominated everyone to the point where we can say we are great. Having TT as our bowl opponent was more of the same -- and had we somehow taken down the AAC this year, got a shot at someone of note in the bowl game-- then we might be able to put a good measure on this. Texas Tech though is clearly middle of the pack Big 12. We've had much more impressive wins than this (in our history at least). I think we can admit that.

The fact that we didn't win the AAC and face a better bowl opponent is all the measurement I need.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

10 hours ago, charsibb said:

You can wrap all of that up in one word. He's gutless.

:roflmao: