• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong needs to go!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Fully expected to come on here and see threads like this ..... but not one started before the first half was even over. Some of our "fans" really suck.

Some is emotion.

Some is alcohol.

Some is alcohol fueled emotion.

I remember when CJL lost some Big East game and a board member (no longer here, banned) said he wanted to cut off his head and skull**** him, or something really terrible or terribly similar.

We're a helluva lot more mild with this loss than in the days where the site would "meltdown".  Of course there were about 30 times as many Bulls fans too.  Oh, and back then,  with <10 years of D1 we thought we were a Top 5 program.  Today we just want a P6 CCG participant.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

We're a helluva lot more mild with this loss than in the days where the site would "meltdown". 

Maybe the fans also follow the lead of the HC.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Fully expected to come on here and see threads like this ..... but not one started before the first half was even over. Some of our "fans" really suck.

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Some is emotion.

Some is alcohol.

Some is alcohol fueled emotion.

I remember when CJL lost some Big East game and a board member (no longer here, banned) said he wanted to cut off his head and skull**** him, or something really terrible or terribly similar.

We're a helluva lot more mild with this loss than in the days where the site would "meltdown".  Of course there were about 30 times as many Bulls fans too.  Oh, and back then,  with <10 years of D1 we thought we were a Top 5 program.  Today we just want a P6 CCG participant.

We did have some real doozies back in those days .... but I'm not talking about the reaction from a loss. I'm talking about another "look at me" thread, started before the freaking first half was over. You go through all that trouble of creating the game thread .....

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

We definitely should NOT fire CCS. We don't need to be paying for a fired coach and he has done NOTHING to deserve being fired at all.

I think most of us responding to this thread are aware that CCS will be a sought after replacement coach for another program-- and clearly that needs to be a P5 to be a step in the right direction for him.

I doubt seriously he was doing anything as far as that rumor was suggesting. I can see teams like UT or Arkansas sniffing around though for his deep Florida HS recruiting ability alone.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You go through all that trouble of creating the game thread .....

:roflmao:

Thanks for noticing!  

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Not calling for Strong to be fired. I loved the hire, but honestly he lost me as a fan of his coaching a few weeks ago. 

One thing that popped into my mind, perhaps since he has a couple of rings, big salary still being paid and made whole by Texas for at least another year and after being at the top of college football, is it possible Strong has lost the fire in the belly to do what needs to be done to bring us to the next level (for us being a championship)?

Strong says he is content with finishing 3rd in a second tier conference. Compare that to Taggart who said he wants to be to be first black coach to win a championship.

This says a lot about his drive  

he said that? That he was fine with finishing third in a second tier conference? I find that hard to believe.

I recall hearing people saying that CJL didn't have what it takes to win a championship too. How hard does a guy have to work to prove that to the fans?

Now I can't say for sure how hard CCS works but I can bet he isn't just going through the motions. He seems to be fully engaged with the team. My main problem with him as a coach is what I perceive to be a conservative approach. In that regard he sort of reminds me of Coach Dungy -- a defensive wizard but not a chance taker on offensive (get a lead and sit on it).

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, MikeG said:

he sort of reminds me of Coach Dungee -- a defensive wizard but not a chance taker on offensive (get a lead and sit on it).

Yes my feeling also.  If he was smart he would just stay out of running offense much and let Gilbert run offense wide open. Im ok with sitting on a lead  with less than 5 mins left maybe but otherwise always be scoring. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

6 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:
12 minutes ago, MikeG said:

he sort of reminds me of Coach Dungy -- a defensive wizard but not a chance taker on offensive (get a lead and sit on it).

Yes my feeling also.  If he was smart he would just stay out of running offense much and let Gilbert run offense wide open.

sure-- of course, this is assuming that CCS is holding the OC back. The problem might be the OC just does not call a consistent game.

Regardless-- it is ultimately CCS who decided to install his own offense and scrap the very successful Gulf Coast offense we had built around our players. I had a problem with that. Even Dungy didn't screw around with the Colts offense when he came on board. But similarly Dungy did get rid of Les Steckel even after the most productive offensive seasons in team history. He was gone the next season-- replaced by Gruden and a Superbowl Trophy.

I know-- college and pro are different animals. Just hard to imagine why you would take that team off that type of success.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, MikeG said:

he said that? That he was fine with finishing third in a second tier conference? I find that hard to believe.

I recall hearing people saying that CJL didn't have what it takes to win a championship too. How hard does a guy have to work to prove that to the fans?

Now I can't say for sure how hard CCS works but I can bet he isn't just going through the motions. He seems to be fully engaged with the team. My main problem with him as a coach is what I perceive to be a conservative approach. In that regard he sort of reminds me of Coach Dungy -- a defensive wizard but not a chance taker on offensive (get a lead and sit on it).

Strong answering another question: "Well we didn't win a conference championship, but we ended up 9-2."

Asked if he was pleased with that: "Yes."

Is that the answer any fan base or anyone associated with the program wants to hear?  He is "pleased" to finish 3rd? Something is wrong with that attitude in my book.