• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Screen pass to DJ, short passes to WR TE, jet sweeps, and deep balls would get this offense rolling

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

4 minutes ago, LunchTimeBully said:

Screen pass to DJ, short passes to WR TE, jet sweeps, and deep balls would get this offense rolling

Agree, but we have run them and except for DJ, would be great if the receivers hold on to the ball and stop with the penalties that negate the plays. 

Last game Salomon dropped the first pass to him and a holding on Deangelo took back about a 20 yard run on, I think, a jet sweep.  Sounds like execution to me.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Here's the problem I have with the "wear down the defense" argument to justify runs up in the A gap. It's not like running in the A gap wears down the interior of the defense anymore than other types of runs. We could run the exact same blocking scheme with the Winged Pistol look we ran last year. Read the DE with a man on man blocking scheme up front and you give yourself the option of having QF and DJ getting on the edge. When we ran our RPOs last year where QF kept the option and then would pull up and throw the bubble, the blocking up front was the exact same. 

You wear down the defense by being physical upfront, not running a 205-220lb RB in the A Gap against DT.

Simply running more jet sweeps, bubbles and PA slants isn't giving anything away. That's basic. UCF will be preparing for those plays already, even if we came out and ran the Wing T the game before. Frost is essentially running the GCO this season.

When you execute the offense we ran last year, there's no need to "hide" anything. It's based on options and reading leverages. You can watch all the film you want, but if the right play is relayed in from the sidelines to combat whatever the D presents, it's essentially unstoppable. 

Gilbert isn't terrible, there are some really bad OCs out there. However, he needs to take a peak at what those boys in Orlando are running. Wouldn't take long to implement, the boys already know the plays. 

-End Rant

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

I wouldn't look for it to change much this week.  Statistically Tulane is close to the same as Illinois while we are the #3 rushing team in the country.

Everything about this offense leads me to believe that this offense is designed to grind down a defense over the course of the game.  They get stronger as they go.  The other part of the offense is about protecting Flowers.  

While we have been off to slow starts in scoring, there has not really been a game where we have really been challenged after the second quarter.  Even if Stonybrook or even even Cincinnati, if you will, where we have not dominated or disctated play on either side of the ball.  Although in a couple of games we did not punch the ball in for a TD, we still dominated play and did not really allow their offense to move the ball.  So unless needed, why put Flowers at risk when we are dominating every game.  Our offense is still explosive enough to pretty much score from anywhere on the filed when needed.  

I would rather win by three scores and keep Flowers healthy than win by 28 and have him get beat up.

Defense adds to the style points.  I will take a number 3 rushing offense combined with a # 8 defense any year.  

When the team is stressed midway through the 4th quarter then I will worry about the play calling.  Until then, keep the plays coming and get the receivers to catch, stop making dumb drive killing penalties and Q needs to read what the defense gives him.

I have a bigger fear of Flowers getting hurt needlessly than I do if we win by 4 scores or 3.

I'm not sure if you realize this but Flowers is averaging 17 carries per game this year. that's up from 15 per game last year.

oh and he seems to run primarily between the tackles this year compared to running outside them a lot last year.

If anything he is more likely to get hurt this year unless of course you think running in wide open space as he did last year puts him at risk of pulling a hamstring

7 hours ago, IBulleve said:

Here's the problem I have with the "wear down the defense" argument to justify runs up in the A gap. It's not like running in the A gap wears down the interior of the defense anymore than other types of runs. We could run the exact same blocking scheme with the Winged Pistol look we ran last year. Read the DE with a man on man blocking scheme up front and you give yourself the option of having QF and DJ getting on the edge. When we ran our RPOs last year where QF kept the option and then would pull up and throw the bubble, the blocking up front was the exact same. 

You wear down the defense by being physical upfront, not running a 205-220lb RB in the A Gap against DT.

Simply running more jet sweeps, bubbles and PA slants isn't giving anything away. That's basic. UCF will be preparing for those plays already, even if we came out and ran the Wing T the game before. Frost is essentially running the GCO this season.

When you execute the offense we ran last year, there's no need to "hide" anything. It's based on options and reading leverages. You can watch all the film you want, but if the right play is relayed in from the sidelines to combat whatever the D presents, it's essentially unstoppable. 

Gilbert isn't terrible, there are some really bad OCs out there. However, he needs to take a peak at what those boys in Orlando are running. Wouldn't take long to implement, the boys already know the plays. 

-End Rant

good points. problem with gilbert running something different is that he doesn't believe we need to. Look at his quotes.

If we can't bulldoze through the middle then we aren't executing properly.

7 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Agree, but we have run them and except for DJ, would be great if the receivers hold on to the ball and stop with the penalties that negate the plays. 

Last game Salomon dropped the first pass to him and a holding on Deangelo took back about a 20 yard run on, I think, a jet sweep.  Sounds like execution to me.

so if a receiver drops a pass or a player holds on a play then we should just scrap that play? or not throw to that receiver?

How many jet sweeps have you seen this year? Maybe 1 per game. It seems to go for 15 yards every time yet we never go back to it. Not only does it work but there is a lot you can do off of faking a jet sweep. it moves defenders. Taggart's offense was pretty simple but it did a great job of getting the defense out of position with motion and fakes. Gilbert just wants to run up the middle.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

He's already shown that he can change it up if he needs to.  You guys really need to relax and enjoy the wins.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

He's already shown that he can change it up if he needs to.  You guys really need to relax and enjoy the wins.

I'm definitely enjoying the wins. The thing that is aggravating is understanding that if this offensive scheme was simply left alone, we would be better because of it. 

He has shown he can change it up once against Illinois. He refused to change it up against SB which has been brought up. 

Complaining about play calling is nothing new in football and doesn't mean you aren't enjoying the wins. However, I hate the thought of this team being limited in terms of potential because of someone's pride. Note, the thought. There's plenty of time for him to prove that's not the case. He better not mess this up. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

58 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

This. I'm worried we might lose one before we play C., but to some extent we've got to trust the coaches who see and work with our players every week. If we were losing that would be one thing, but it's hard to argue with the results. 

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

We are 11th in red zone TD percentage in the AAC.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/823/team/offense/split01/category27/sort05.html

We are 93rd in the country for red zone TD percentage.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category27/sort05.html

If you don't think settling for FGs is going to potentially cost us a game in the future then you haven't watched football for very long.

• Upvote 2