• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report: Louisville head basketball coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich have been fired

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

What happened to the “he’s not guilty until he’s been proven guilty”  TBP crowd?  It appears that they only only apply that to USF players and coaches?

10 minutes ago, MMW said:

I am pretty sure that is not how it works in the "Court of Public Opinion" and college bulletin boards.

One, it's one is, "presumed innocent until proven guilty", if one is guilty, then they're guilty.  Just because it can't be proven, doesn't mean it's not true.  Two, that's only in courts of law for criminal cases, we're free to make form our own opinions, right or wrong.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

What happened to the “he’s not guilty until he’s been proven guilty”  TBP crowd?  It appears that they only only apply that to USF players and coaches?

Talk to the media about your problems with the way the world works.  

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Interesting line in the Washington Post;

In one wiretapped conversation described in the complaint, Adidas executive Jim Gatto discussed paying one high school player $100,000 and then was informed by an underling that another school — sponsored by a rival apparel company — was willing to pay $150,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/how-college-hoops-corruption-became-a-federal-investigation-and-why-it-might-get-bigger/2017/09/27/dfdfa6e0-a3d6-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html?undefined=&utm_term=.cc2146165651&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,557
  • Days Won:  423

6 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

Pitino named as one of the coaches caught giving money to recruits by FBI. 

5 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Where would one find the federal  indictment that charges Rick Pitino with what you claim?  When was he arrested?

How hard did you try to find it?

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

6 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

Wow, just saw that, thank you.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Reading that I am more than happy with USF basketball right now. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

What is messed up is the timing. If this scandal breaks out while Louisville is in Big East or AAC, I don't see ACC giving them an invite. Maybe UConn or Cincy would have got ACC invite if they expanded at all.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Can someone cut and paste that article I can't see it please.  

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

2 hours ago, bullnupe said:

Can someone cut and paste that article I can't see it please.  

Louisville named its interim basketball coach and oh boy, was it weird

By Chuck Culpepper September 29 at 9:32 PM 
llege_Corruption_Louisville_Basketball_76443-c46e6.jpg&w=60
David Padgett addresses the media after being named Louisville’s interim men’s basketball coach on Friday. (Timothy D. Easley/Associated Press)

LOUISVILLE — Here, an indescribable week ended in outright eccentricity.

The first weirdness came just before 5 p.m. when, just as the University of Louisville prepared to introduce Rick Pitino’s interim successor as head men’s basketball coach, Pitino, ousted Wednesday along with Athletic Director Tom Jurich, issued a statement:

“There’s been a lot of turmoil the last few days and I’ve intentionally avoided making any public statements — primarily because so few facts are known. But I wish to make a few now.

First, I want to thank all my players from Providence, UK (Kentucky) and Louisville. Your support means more to me than I can possibly express.

Second, to the many friends and fans who reached out to me in the last few days: I owe a thousand thanks and an apology for the disappointment you must have.

Third, as I’ve previously stated, I had no knowledge of any payments to any recruit or their family. But I was the head coach and I will take ownership of my decisions. The University took the action they thought was necessary and I will do the same.

Finally, Tom Jurich is the best athletic director in the country, and thanks to him I coached Louisville basketball for over sixteen years when we witnessed many great things. From conference (sic) USA, AAC, Big East and now the ACC. I am proud of our many accomplishments and appreciate the continued support of the Louisville community. Again, a thousand thanks.

(Note: The size of that support might be questionable in a city weary of Pitino’s serial dramas.)

Next, further weirdness came in steady wavelets for the next hour, beginning when interim president and former radiology chair Gregory Postel, his university and its former head coach implicated and roiled by the 28-page federal report alleging briberyand other indignities in college basketball recruiting, manned the lectern and said he had “a very exciting announcement to make.”

It sounded like it could have been a further advancement in MRI exam technology.

He also said, “Basketball season is upon us; it’s hard to believe.”

It sounded like a possible double entendre.

[Most call it a college basketball scandal. In Louisville, they call it ‘total Armageddon.’]

Postel named David Padgett, the 6-foot-11, former Louisville center and Pitino director of basketball operations (2014-16) and full-on assistant (2016-Thursday), as “acting head men’s basketball coach.” In describing Padgett, Postel even said, “I might add he was one of the best passing big men the University of Louisville has ever seen.”

It sounded like some banality hurled from some former universe.

Padgett took the lectern at age 32, in both his new job and an improbable, impossible situation. He handled himself commendably even as he said he’s a “West Coast guy” from Nevada, which doesn’t have coastline yet, even as doomsayers have forecast it might someday.

He said, “It’s been a dark week at the University of Louisville,” and, “We’ll get through it,” and, “Me doing this is for them (the players),” and, “I’m not auditioning for a long-term job here.” He told a story of how the players were, to his amazement, working out hard Wednesday at 3 p.m., just after the ousters. He drifted toward absurdity only once, when he said, “It’s a unique group, probably the most unique group I’ve ever been around, and I honestly could say I’m not sure if any other group of players would have been able to get through what we’ve had to go through the last 72 hours.”

He called it “a very fluid situation.” He had no idea when he might hire assistants, or which assistants he might hire. He fielded the eternal question, “Do you have to cheat to try to get players?”

“No, you don’t,” he said.

Later, over to one side, there came more things nobody could have imagined even Tuesday morning.

A reporter asked Postel if Louisville’s $160 million contract from Adidas constituted “dirty money,” and Postel said, on his way out the door, “We don’t know yet.”

Back across the room, Padgett said he met with the players, who had backed him for the role, whereupon, “I’m 30 seconds into speaking, and all of a sudden I look over and Deng Adel has the most confused look on his face, and he raises his hand and goes, ‘Wait, are you the coach?’ ” Asked how he might reassure fans he won’t turn up on any evidence of subterfuge, Padgett said, “Look, all I can say is if Dr. Postel had any concerns about that whatsoever, I don’t feel like I would be standing here.”

More weirdness: He reminded that “someone,” meaning the investigators, “might need to talk to me at some point.” As to whether he would be the only coach when practice opens Sunday, he said, “That’s something I’m trying to figure out.” Asked whether there could be any happiness about his promotion, he said, “There’s happiness from the standpoint of we know now. … I wish it was under different circumstances.”

And asked if he felt comfortable moving into the office of his college coach and coaching mentor, Pitino, Padgett said, “I don’t know if I’m going to yet. That scares me. And, as you guys know, they changed the locks the other day so nobody can get in there right now anyway.”

It seemed the week could end fittingly right there.