• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

There are just too many teams and not enough spots. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Bulls1181 said:

Yesterday Florida Central got respect not the AAC. Opens the door a little wider for Florida Central to be included in next year's Playoff if they go undefeated. 

Chances are that they won't. The only team that had a shot was Houston because they scheduled Oklahoma and Louisville, had key players returning, and had Tom Herman return too. 

Central Florida has 0.5 of those three things going for them. They lose key pieces on defense even though the offense is bringing a lot back. 

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

35 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Not saying I agree, but by that logic, UCF should have been in, as they are the only ones without a loss.  How can anyone objectively not agree with that?  BTW, stating that they had a weak SOS is a subjective argument.  Alabama's was pretty weak too.

I never said anything about ucf inclusion or lack thereof.

But sos isn't exactly subjective and I'm on my phone but the google search for Alabama sos puts them in the top 10 by at least 1 model  

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

But by any measure, please tell me how the Sec west = aac east

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, Capital H said:

But by any measure, please tell me how the Sec west = aac east

I'm not saying it is.  All I'm saying is the, "best" teams is subjective.  With 130 FBS schools, generally playing only 12 regular season games, it's impossible to say who is the best with any objective certainty.  Even the models that rank SOS are inherently flawed as the data set is extremely limited and we don't know the formulas used in the models.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I'm not saying it is.  All I'm saying is the, "best" teams is subjective.  With 130 FBS schools, generally playing only 12 regular season games, it's impossible to say who is the best with any objective certainty.  Even the models that rank SOS are inherently flawed as the data set is extremely limited and we don't know the formulas used in the models.

Fair enough.

I agree there is a level to subjectivity seen in this sport you dont always get in other sports. I think its one of the things that makes the sport great, we can banter on the internet instead of getting work done about who the top 4 teams should be.

Just like when they went from the BCS to the playoff, I think in 10 years we will miss this, mainly because the landscape is going to be different the school we support won't even be on the peripheral of the conversation. The top 56-64 schools are going to take their ball and go play with themselves and the rest of the 1A programs who have invested millions will be left as a "B" league.

7 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Fair enough.

I agree there is a level to subjectivity seen in this sport you dont always get in other sports. I think its one of the things that makes the sport great, we can banter on the internet instead of getting work done about who the top 4 teams should be.

Just like when they went from the BCS to the playoff, I think in 10 years we will miss this, mainly because the landscape is going to be different the school we support won't even be on the peripheral of the conversation. The top 56-64 schools are going to take their ball and go play with themselves and the rest of the 1A programs who have invested millions will be left as a "B" league.

I agree with your last point. I think they will eventually break away from the NCAA and that will be that. I just hope I am not around to see it. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree with your last point. I think they will eventually break away from the NCAA and that will be that. I just hope I am not around to see it. 

I think when/if that happens, there would have to be clearly defined parameters to join the P5 (or whatever it would be called).  If it remains an invitation only club, I see a case for an anti-trust lawsuit.  

21 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I think when/if that happens, there would have to be clearly defined parameters to join the P5 (or whatever it would be called).  If it remains an invitation only club, I see a case for an anti-trust lawsuit.  

I agree.  Lawsuit would be a last resort though as no power conference would want to do business with someone who is suing them. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,515
  • Days Won:  25

I think UCF should honestly sue/protest for a Split Championship. They have 13 wins and no losses. They beat four top 25 teams USF, Memphis (Twice) and Auburn who beat both BAMA and GA. If Georgia wins with two losses, UCF and the AAC honestly should be in flames at the result of the CFP. Georgia beat ND (by 1), Auburn(Won 1 and lost 1), Miss ST, and OK( which was a great game, yet another team with a loss at the time now two). UCF literally beat a team that beat both of the teams playing for a National Championship and has 13 wins with 0 losses. It pains to say this as a BULLS fan and doesn't care for our most significant rival but they deserved an invite, and the AAC deserves more respect.

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

UCF literally beat a team that beat both of the teams playing for a National Championship

If that was a reg season game, it would probably mean something. In a non-playoff bowl, not so much .... If the playoffs had been expanded this year, UCF may have had a case but they weren't a top 4 team.