• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This play calling is pathetic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6 hours ago, RedBull13 said:

Rewatching the game. There's just no way this is our permanent game plan, it honestly feels like 75% of our plays are just run up the middle and hope for the best. We HAVE to be saving the rest of the playbook for conference play... we just have to be. 

I hope so. man that was terrible play calling. the coaches said we would be more of a vertical attack offense. so much for that. maybe they should get safeties to back off the line by running go routes. then maybe the inside opens up for the run.

7 hours ago, Buller64 said:

Gilbert's offense smells like week old fish. He was given the keys to a Ferrari and he is driving it like a Pinto, thinking it is a SUV. USF has only used runs up the middle to keep the defense honest, we attack the corners. You think it is any coincidence that our longest run from scrimmage was a jet sweep? Last week it was an off tackle? The first scoring drive of the second half has a screen, an up and out, a TE slant across the deep middle, and no huddle? This was the drive that looked like USF and we moved down the field in about 3.5 minutes? Long drawn out slam up the middle offense, taking time between plays does not work here. Maybe the coaching staff will learn that before they get embarrassed, but I doubt it.

ugh couldn't be said better. only time it's worth running up the middle is on option runs to keep defense honest and draw in safeties.

we needed to stretch defense by going over the top yesterday to open up the underneath stuff.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Don't know anything about the Harlan myth, but wasn't there an article about how the players had a dinner with xCWT imploring him to let QF go?  I guess you have to give him credit for listening. 

No bowl wins or legendary wins at USF, but brought the team back and left before the job was done.  It is what it is as they say.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, RedBull13 said:

Rewatching the game. There's just no way this is our permanent game plan, it honestly feels like 75% of our plays are just run up the middle and hope for the best. We HAVE to be saving the rest of the playbook for conference play... we just have to be. 

I agree...watch the second quarter of san jose game we were attacking and looked good. Maybe with rain and fcs opponent tried basic plays hoping to win still big but not with this oline. 

No way is this permanent gameplan.

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Don't know anything about the Harlan myth, but wasn't there an article about how the players had a dinner with xCWT imploring him to let QF go?  I guess you have to give him credit for listening. 

No bowl wins or legendary wins at USF, but brought the team back and left before the job was done.  It is what it is as they say.

his job was to rebuild us. I'd say 11-2 pretty much means he got the job done.

Just now, Bulls On Parade said:

I agree...watch the second quarter of san jose game we were attacking and looked good. Maybe with rain and fcs opponent tried basic plays hoping to win still big but not with this oline. 

No way is this permanent gameplan.

then they needed to make adjustments. it was a close game the whole way through. we could have lost that game if a ball bounces the wrong way.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318

13 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I hope so. man that was terrible play calling. the coaches said we would be more of a vertical attack offense. so much for that. maybe they should get safeties to back off the line by running go routes. then maybe the inside opens up for the run.

Wideouts have to catch the ball before they can be a deep threat. 

Then again if they are going to drop catchable passes might as well make them run 30 yards one way first. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Did we win?

• Content Count:  1,342

I found it hard to believe that the philosophy of the offense was no playbook, the players have to draw the plays under the tutorage of the coach.  After two weeks of mediocre performance I now do believe there is no play book.  Sandlot football has arrived.

1 minute ago, Capital H said:

Wideouts have to catch the ball before they can be a deep threat. 

Then again if they are going to drop catchable passes might as well make them run 30 yards one way first. 

it doesn't even matter if they catch go routes. it forces safeties to play back. it stretches the defense.

BTW with the exception of one dropped pass there wasn't one that cost us a long score. everything was in front of the defense