• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One and Done?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Five college football coaches who will earn bigger jobs this season

Unless you're at the top of the pile, success brings change.
By John Cassillo on 
.... power conference programs are always looking. And with Ole Miss, Texas A&M, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona, Boston College and others likely to get antsy with their current coaches, there is bound to be room for upward movement.

Before the 2017 season even gets underway, which coaches are poised to take on those potentially vacant roles? We’ll keep the list to current head coaches that are likely to see enough success this year to move onto greener pastures.

4. Charlie Strong, USF

Sure, maybe Strong just arrived in Tampa, but this roster and schedule seems tailor-made for an access bowl push. And Strong’s pedigree is still a known entity. Texas, while a struggle for him and the Longhorns, didn’t simply erase his reputation as an excellent defensive coach.

If the right job opens after a double-digit win season for the Bulls, Strong’s name will definitely come up. Considering how much senior talent is powering that USF offense this year, he might be more apt to take whatever’s offered from the Power Five ranks.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I hate thinking about crap like this, but unfortunately it's reality and a part of the deal for USF until/unless we can move up. Just win, and let the chips fall...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

I hate thinking about crap like this, but unfortunately it's reality and a part of the deal for USF until/unless we can move up. Just win, and let the chips fall...

This is the upsetting double edged sword that we have to embrace. Don't forget, if I HC gets hired away, it's because he did some **** good things. That also means that other great up and coming coaches will want to file in. Consistent success is what this program needs to get to the next level; and it'll be great if the program achieves that type of success.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I for one do not care. Waited 20 years and listened to other schools remind me about zero conference championships. I am fine with cashing in all the chips for a championship. I'll worry about tomorrow...tomorrow. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

48 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

Consistent success is what this program needs to get to the next level; and it'll be great if the program achieves that type of success.

And that starts at recruiting good quarterbacks...need to keep that going strong.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I agree and feel the same way about every response to the original post ahead of mine.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I for one do not care. Waited 20 years and listened to other schools remind me about zero conference championships. I am fine with cashing in all the chips for a championship. I'll worry about tomorrow...tomorrow. 

+1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Agree...but still hope that if Strong really has roots here, and sees he can complete in wins & recruiting with the Big 3, he may decided to stay and thumb his nose at the UT's of the world and build something special here.  There's still a chance to move to P5, but we NEED to be in position to do it, and that means high rankings & better attendance (among other things).  But if he leaves, he'll likely give the next coach something great to work with...and maybe THAT coach sticks it out.  But if we keep winning 10 games a year & losing coaches, I can live with that.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

6 hours ago, raptorcj said:

Pretty much it. Absent a better TV contract or a significant uptick in donors, there's not much USF can do financially to avoid this scenario. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,700
  • Days Won:  7

10 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

Agree...but still hope that if Strong really has roots here, and sees he can complete in wins & recruiting with the Big 3, he may decided to stay and thumb his nose at the UT's of the world and build something special here.  There's still a chance to move to P5, but we NEED to be in position to do it, and that means high rankings & better attendance (among other things).  But if he leaves, he'll likely give the next coach something great to work with...and maybe THAT coach sticks it out.  But if we keep winning 10 games a year & losing coaches, I can live with that.

CCS can improve the defense a little this season but as we saw with CWT, drastic change doesn't happen in one season so therefore CCS's contribution may be miniscule over one season's time. So the Bulls can go undefeated this season, probably regardless of improvement to the defense (which will happen anyway)..in that case, isn't that really just CCS riding on the coattails of CWT's hard work into a P5 job of his own, not really leaving behind any of his own contributions. In the end, USF is down next season after losing our QB, so much talent and so many seniors, while CCS gets to walk into a P5 job after an undefeated season because of the work CWT put in.