• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McMurphy fired

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

9 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Who would you rather have as your USF beat writer.  Brett McMurphy or Joey Knight.

JK hands down ... he ain't perfect but he's mostly benign.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Bye, Bye Brett

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Time to move to another State Brett

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

Laid Off - The job you used to do it being eliminated. 

Fired - We want someone else to do the job you used to do. 

It does make a difference, speaking as someone who has been laid off before. In theory, you can't control being laid off, where as fired could have been avoided. Being laid off allowed me to leave on good terms, and kept the door open for a return. It also allows me to honestly talk about the job I was laid off from to potential employers without putting myself in a bad position. 

13 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

My wife got laid off along with her department. She got 6 months full pay and insurance. Her brother just got fired. He got shown the door. Big difference. 

Bingo.  

Thanks.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I normally feel bad for folks being laid off. If you haven't been in their position you just haven't lived long enough but trust me it's a terrible feeling. Even though you know logically it was a business decision you can't help but take it personally especially as your friends and now ex-co-workers still have their job. So again, normally, I feel bad for these folks even if they were crappy employees and deserved it. Yet, in Brett's case, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of spiteful glee. A passing fantasy saw me driving through Burger King and seeing BM running the window (cause he certainly couldn't make it at Publix). Brett, when you threw us under the bus, I told my wife that the wheel will turn and holy cow karma is a b*tch and i fear, for you, this is only the beginning.

Edited by cophbulls

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

13 hours ago, slick1ru2 said:

My wife got laid off along with her department. She got 6 months full pay and insurance. Her brother just got fired. He got shown the door. Big difference. 

21 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Bingo.  

Thanks.  

The company I work for now fired a person because he was just plain bad and completely inept.  They gave him a month's severance

A tech company I worked for laid off an entire division when they moved that unit to India, they did not give any severance.

...So no.  Not much difference, except to the fired/laid-off person's ego.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Dogma said:

The company I work for now fired a person because he was just plain bad and completely inept.  They gave him a month's severance

A tech company I worked for laid off an entire division when they moved that unit to India, they did not give any severance.

The provision of severance has nothing to do with whether the termination of employment constituted a layoff or a firing.  And the first example you gave, it sounds like he wasn't up to the task - that company did something they absolutely didn't have to do, probably out of pity. 

Please refer to the explanations above if you're still unclear on the difference between layoff and firing.  Thank you.  

Edited by GaUSFBull