• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Little time to think, or blink, in USF's new offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

That depends. Some people like to believe Holtz made BJ switch to a pocket passer his sophomore year and others swear it was his senior year.

If only there were reports at the time from each person, clearly explaining the situation and specifying the rationale.  And if only they were easily searchable via Google or even this message board.  Alas, if only...that fantasy world of checking facts is impossible to discover.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, NCBull said:

If only there were reports at the time from each person, clearly explaining the situation and specifying the rationale.  And if only they were easily searchable via Google or even this message board.  Alas, if only...that fantasy world of checking facts is impossible to discover.

Facts?!? You've got to be ******** me.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

13 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Like this?  http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-bulls-preach-patience-with-struggling-bj-daniels/1127365  especially the last paragraph.  "USF has true freshman walk-on Bobby Eveld as the top backup to Daniels, so there isn't another obvious option if Daniels' struggles continue. The Bulls could give receiver Evan Landi, last year's top backup, repetitions at quarterback, but Vaas said that option has "not been discussed at all."

Or this?  http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-bulls-quarterback-bj-daniels-provides-a-pleasant-surprisebr-br-/1088083. The second paragraph.  "With Daniels as USF's only scholarship quarterback, his limitations could have affected the entire offense, which is learning a new scheme under first-year coordinator Todd Fitch and quarterbacks coach Peter Vaas."  Edit: the limitation was recovering from shoulder surgery.

Edited by Bourbon Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

33 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

Pretty sure that Skip, what with being the head coach and all, had the authority to veto what a 19-20 year old kid "wanted to do".

That's not the point.  The point is the CSH didn't, "force" BJ into trying to be a pocket passer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

This one is interesting https://www.sportstalkflorida.com/more/bj-daniels-does-not-deserve-the-criticism/

Holtz said that, “(Daniels) had to go through an awful lot from a treatment standpoint last week, from a shot he had taken (earlier) this week.” These injuries have taken away Daniels ability to be the duel threat QB that forces defenses to stay honest, which puts a much greater pressure on the rest of the offense.

My bolding added

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

That's not the point.  The point is the CSH didn't, "force" BJ into trying to be a pocket passer.

And my point is that a good head coach doesn't let a 19 year old's desires dictate his gameplan, IF that is how all of it went down which I am not 100% convinced of. 

Edited by beastiebull

2 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

And my point is that a good head coach doesn't let a 19 year old's desires dictate his gameplan, IF that is how all of it went down which I am not 100% convinced of. 

I understand and I agree, but BJ is on record saying that he wanted to be more of a pocket passer, which is contrary to the assertion that CSH forced him.

30 minutes ago, JTrue said:

That depends. Some people like to believe Holtz made BJ switch to a pocket passer his sophomore year and others swear it was his senior year.

This article implies it happened his sophomore year:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20101022_SFL@CIN/qb-daniels-four-scores-lift-usf-past-cincinnati

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

9 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

And my point is that a good head coach doesn't let a 19 year old's desires dictate his gameplan

What if he scowls?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

17 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

This.....

As a coach you're the final say in things like this.  Then again considering I heard first hand accounts about the culture of no accountability and the inmates basically running the asylum during the CSH days I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.  A starter who played under CSH and under CWT said the culture and level of accountability was night and day.  He described it as "It was like a having a substitute teacher" and that "everyone was just doing whatever they wanted without any real discipline".  In the end though I don't buy that BJ forced this on Holtz he's never been the kind of guy to put team goals over personal goals.  The guy quit basketball a game he loves to dedicate himself to being a better QB for the team.