• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

National Signing Day '17

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

How hard did we recruit QB this year?  With Kean and Oladukon already on the roster, doesn't seem like a position of need at all right now.

I don't think it was high need, but I'm in favor of taking at least one QB a cycle. You never want to be in a position where getting a QB is absolutely necessary.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

How hard did we recruit QB this year?  With Kean and Oladukon already on the roster, doesn't seem like a position of need at all right now.

We did get 2 preferred walk ons if that counts.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

Must recruiting gurus will tell you that you should have at least 1 QB in every signing class. Injuries, transfers, kids not panning out....it is too important a position not to take one every season if you can. 

Well we did add two as preferred walk ons. We are pretty loaded at QB so not a bad strategy 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

We basically only targeted one QB James Blackman but FSU locked him down.  Overall it was a pretty weak QB class in FL this cycle.  I look for us to take two QB's next cycle which is a much deeper QB class.  

I agree, but it would have been nice to get at least a mid 3 star this cycle. Maybe we will get lucky and one of the 2 preferred walk-ons will pan out. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

I agree, but it would have been nice to get at least a mid 3 star this cycle. Maybe we will get lucky and one of the 2 preferred walk-ons will pan out. 

I'm never a fan of filling a spot just to say you got somebody there.  The options that were out there weren't very attractive so it was better to leave it open and use the "you can compete to replace Flowers right away" pitch to get us much better options next season.  

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

It has already been shown that you were wrong. If we get any more players that will just determine the degree to which you were wrong. Our 82.05 average star rating currently puts us at #4 in the AAC. This was always going to be a smaller class than the rest of the conference. Strong and Co. did a great job of closing out. Other than QB, they addressed positions of need. This class is a success no matter what happens from here on out. 

Can you point me to where this info is?  I was curious in how we were shaping up against the AAC.  Sorry, but still trying to be a 2.5* fan and 2.5* employee today and don't have time to try to hunt that down. Thanks.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

2 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Can you point me to where this info is?

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

I'm never a fan of filling a spot just to say you got somebody there.  The options that were out there weren't very attractive so it was better to leave it open and use the "you can compete to replace Flowers right away" pitch to get us much better options next season.  

Neither am I, which is why I can live with it and still think this class is a success. But for those doubting the importance of having a decent QB coming in on the roster every year, please keep in mind that between 2010 and 2012 USF recruited 2 QBs....Jameius Gunsby (2010) and Matt Floyd (2011). Gunsby transferred very quickly and Matt Floyd never panned out and transferred as well. Want to know why Holtz failed and Taggart had a rough few years....look no further than this. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's currently showing us 8th, but they don't have Jabreel Stephens added to the list yet.

Just now, bullstampede9922 said:

It's currently showing us 8th, but they don't have Jabreel Stephens added to the list yet.

8th based upon their total points system. If you look at average stars that is a better indicator of the overall quality of each player we brought in. None of this is a perfect science, but I don't think anyone can say this is the worst class in USF history or even that it was a bad class. It turned out to be good and next year's should be incredible! 

• Upvote 2