• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Asst Coaching changes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Coach Jean-Mary is the Def coord- LB coach. So we are good. 

I know. I'm arguing that if we go 3-4 (which I hope we don't) that he could coach ILB and the other guy could coach OLB's. It's a huge stretch that either would happen. It's likely a DL and another DB coach coming down the pike.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I know. I'm arguing that if we go 3-4 (which I hope we don't) that he could coach ILB and the other guy could coach OLB's. It's a huge stretch that either would happen. It's likely a DL and another DB coach coming down the pike.

Why do you hope we don't?  Just curious.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

4 hours ago, MMW said:

Why do you hope we don't?  Just curious.

Personnel.  We don't have a true 3-4 NT on the roster. Our defensive ends are also not of the power variety which you need in the 3-4.  3-4 DE's are typically just slightly smaller a little more athletic DT's.  We definitely don't have enough 3-4 type ILB's on the roster.  You need bigger physical guys inside that are great at attacking and getting off blocks.  All our LB's struggled with this (Temple and FSU games are the most glaring example)  The one thing we do have is enough tweener DE/OLB's but other than that we don't have the front 7 personnel to run the 3-4.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I agree; we do not have a NT that can eat up two blockers and the ends would have to be beasts to maintain their lanes...  I'm all about a 4-3 or the 4-2-5 if we did it right and stopped playing off all the time. 

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

42 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Personnel.  We don't have a true 3-4 NT on the roster. Our defensive ends are also not of the power variety which you need in the 3-4.  3-4 DE's are typically just slightly smaller a little more athletic DT's.  We definitely don't have enough 3-4 type ILB's on the roster.  You need bigger physical guys inside that are great at attacking and getting off blocks.  All our LB's struggled with this (Temple and FSU games are the most glaring example)  The one thing we do have is enough tweener DE/OLB's but other than that we don't have the front 7 personnel to run the 3-4.  

they should make you a coach

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

6 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Have you seen the D Charlie runs?

1 hour ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Have you seen the D Charlie runs?

Doesn't change the personnel on the roster.... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

On 12/11/2016 at 4:11 PM, Bull-Hornz said:

Some info I found about CCS defense from none other than a Texas forum lol

http://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/charlie-strongs-defense-what-is-it.47408/

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Doesn't change the personnel on the roster.... 

See link above for CCS D from a little while ago. I don't expect Strong to change the D he runs based on our personal but I could be wrong. At any rate I think he runs a disguised 4-3 from a 3-3-5 look. Interesting read and we definitely won't be vanilla on D next year.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

11 hours ago, Bull-Hornz said:

See link above for CCS D from a little while ago. I don't expect Strong to change the D he runs based on our personal but I could be wrong. At any rate I think he runs a disguised 4-3 from a 3-3-5 look. Interesting read and we definitely won't be vanilla on D next year.

Yup, and that defense requires different personnel than the 3-4.  Hence why it doesn't change the fact that we don't have a roster structured to run the 3-4 which is an entirely different scheme.  

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

Sterlin Gilbert leaving for Auburn OC?