• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Rodney Adams get drafted? Bucs needs a receiver.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The problem with speed to an extent is... What if Adams runs a 4.6? Does that change the fact that in pads, he can't be caught? What if someone else runs a 4.4, but, in pads they don't have break-away speed.

Combine numbers get blown up a lot and scouts/drafts show that those numbers play a big role, but, there are also teams out there that look at film. Ideally, he would run fast enough to get everyone's attention, then, his film will help from a speed standpoint.

IMO, Adams' speed will not really be a factor. People will know he's fast. But, when you pop on the film, are you going to be concerned about his struggles making a play on a contested pass? Can he make a tough catch in traffic? Can he hold on to the ball after he has it? Everyone is talking about speed, but, those are the things in my mind that is going to determine when/if he is drafted.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

20 hours ago, Ionbull said:

Bet this thread doesn't get to 87 pages in support of Rod. 

I can fuel it.

I have confidence in @rodney_adams87

He's explosive.  Gotta catch on somewhere.  He's got the possibility to be a sleeper pick like the AZ Cardinals have routinely made.  

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Adams won't run a 4.35.  He won't even run a 4.4 at combine, most likely.  Some of you guys throw around 4.4 speed, like it's common place.  The only place it's commonplace is in lies on recruiting websites and in hand timed runs.  At the NFL combine, a 4.4 40 would put you in the top 5-10% of all WR's and WR's are some of the fastest athletes at the combine.  And these are elite WR's.  Most NFL draft prospects at the combine run between 4.4 - 4.7, with a majority around 4.55 or so.  Look it up.  in 2012 the absolute fastest WR time was 4.36 out of 42 WR prospects.  Anything between 4.4 - 4.5 puts you in the upper echelon at the NFL combine.

Adams will run between 4.45-4.5 in my opinion, which will place him in the top third or quarter of all receivers.  And that's a really good time.

Virtually all recruiting website and high school 40 times are lies by about 3/10's to 4/10's of a second in a lot of cases.  Adams may have run a legit 4.68 in HS, which is a good time, if legit.  A few WR's at the NFL combine every year actually run in the 4.7's.  And they got invited to the NFL combine.     

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Will he run a 4.4? Maybe, maybe not.  But to act like it's asinine to suggest that he could is just as asinine.  He was the fastest player on the field all 3 seasons at USF, seasons that included FSU which is always stacked with NFL prospects at DB.  People talking down to people and suggesting that a guy with that kind of speed couldn't possibly be a 4.4 guys is pretty ridiculous.  This isn't Andre Davis were talking about.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I said MOST LIKELY he won't.  He could, but it's not likely.  He's more likely to run just above 4.4 if you study the numbers.  Maybe in the 4.45-4.5 range, which is what I predicted.

Could he be one of the rare legitimate 4.4 guys at the combine.  Absolutely.  But the chances are greater that he runs above 4.4 at the combine, going off draft combine history.

A lot of these WR's weren't caught either, and yet they ended up running above a 4.4.  Some really great receivers have run in the 4.5-4.6 range in the past.

These aren't fluffed times like virtually all other 40 times.  An actual laser time of say, 4.45 or so, at the NFL combine is really, really fast. High school recruits have reason to lie about their times, and colleges have reasons to lie about 40 times about their players.  You can't lie your way to a 4.4 at the combine.  And getting one is rare.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Carlton Mitchell ran a 4.49 at the combine. Adams won't be any slower than that. He has explosive field speed.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

44 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Carlton Mitchell ran a 4.49 at the combine. Adams won't be any slower than that. He has explosive field speed.

Do the people who said he'd run a 4.4 get credit if it's a 4.49?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Just now, JTrue said:

Do the people who said he'd run a 4.4 get credit if it's a 4.49?

Depends if you follow runs of math or rules of football

Math says 4.5. Football talking heads would forget the 9. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

If I'm being honest, I think combine numbers are blown way out of proportion at times. It's definitely a great way to gain more intel on a player, but the film speaks for itself. A guy like Rodney could make plays if he's in the right system. I always think a team like patriots would be ideal for guys like him. Need I have an offensive mind that utilizes his playmakers. Curious notion is where do we think he gets drafted? Where does he rank among other WRs?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Because he will be at the combine his chances for getting drafted just went up significantly. Now I am thinking round 4 or 5.