• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football & Tampa Bay

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

51 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

The problems run deep and they aren't likely to change:

1. USF Football competes directly with the Bucs AND Lightning in the local market. USF will always be 3rd, at best, during football season.

2. UF and FSU will always top USF in this market, from apparel in stores to general popularity.

3. This may be the biggest one. LOCAL MEDIA COVERAGE SUCKS!!!!!! I don't understand why this is not more offensive to more people. It makes me want to puke. The clowns on 620 WDAE almost go out of their way to NOT talk about USF. The National Media covered the Charlie Strong hire better than 620.

USF as an institution and we as ulumni/fans need to understand these facts and react accordingly. The excitement/growth has to be organic. It's the only way it's going to happen. The student body needs to be energized. An OCS needs to happen IMMEDIATELY. 

USF football and athletics in general will always be a niche product in this town. It time to cater to the diehards and let the growth occur naturally. A 35,000 seat (with ability to expand) OCS will be a start. They need to create exclusivity, which means fewer seats available. It's called supply and demand. It's the basis of all business.

A packed house means more excitement, better atmosphere at the game (and tailgate for that matter). The Green and Gold spring game on campus has WAY more atmosphere and school spirit than 90% of the Bulls "home games" at Ray Jay.

The problems are obvious and the solution is pretty simple really.

So, based on #1, USF is 3rd in town. But based on #2, more likely 4th or 5th. Which leads you to believe in #3, the local media should be spending more time and money on us than they currently are? Also, we should spend tens of millions of dollars on a stadium?

Are you sure you learned supply and demand at USF?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, SpeedBull said:

A 35,000 seat (with ability to expand) OCS will be a start.

As long as it's the ******* Taj Mahal of 35-50K seat stadiums ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

So, based on #1, USF is 3rd in town. But based on #2, more likely 4th or 5th. Which leads you to believe in #3, the local media should be spending more time and money on us than they currently are? Also, we should spend tens of millions of dollars on a stadium?

Are you sure you learned supply and demand at USF?

Yes, I did study supply and demand, actually it's called Economics, at USF. I was also a Marketing major and I understand both very well. I also started a business from scratch 9 years ago that is kicking ass. I've studied it and done it. 

I said those other things are a given and won't change. But, there is a loyal customer base that COULD grow if managed properly. Therefore the growth starts from within. If we want a program that ANYONE outside of the base can get excited about the demand will be created with limited seating. 

Did you even read the entire post?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

You're welcome.

Lots more to view on YouTube!!

Pardon me if I don't click on that.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

49 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

Yes, I did study supply and demand, actually it's called Economics, at USF. I was also a Marketing major and I understand both very well. I also started a business from scratch 9 years ago that is kicking ass. I've studied it and done it. 

I said those other things are a given and won't change. But, there is a loyal customer base that COULD grow if managed properly. Therefore the growth starts from within. If we want a program that ANYONE outside of the base can get excited about the demand will be created with limited seating. 

Did you even read the entire post?

I'm only marginally aware of this economics you speak of, so take it slow with me. How would increasing the supply of local media coverage lead to an increase in demand for said coverage, especially since you said our being the 5th most popular sports team in town is a given and won't change?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Ugh so some support used car tactics to sell USF football? Come on.....

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ugh so some support used car tactics to sell USF football? Come on.....

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'm only marginally aware of this economics you speak of, so take it slow with me. How would increasing the supply of local media coverage lead to an increase in demand for said coverage, especially since you said our being the 5th most popular sports team in town is a given and won't change?

My point is that the local media coverage sucks. I think we can all agree on this right? If so, let's move on to the next point.

Since the local media coverage is non-existent, and there are no signs that it's going to improve, USF should focus on the PRODUCT. They are not going to get help from the media and cheesy marketing campaigns are not going to work.

The product is the team and the experience that comes along with attending the games. Are you with me? 

The experience at Raymond James is always going to be second rate. Yeah it's an NFL stadium...that novelty was great for a while. Now all it does is remind everyone that USF is renting space in an NFL stadium. There is no true college atmosphere. There never will be.

If USF wants to build a tradition and genuine interest they need to invest in the product. If they believe in their product it will sell itself....eventually. An OCS is an absolute must. 

As an alum, I love going back to the campus. I like to see how it's grown since 2001. It makes me feel good to be there, it makes me want to go back. I love seeing the old underground School of Business. It evokes memories and inspires passion for the school and the teams every time I go there. 

None of these things happen at Ray Jay and they never will. None of the young kids see the campus and imagine what it will be like to attend school there one day. They don't "feel" it. 

When I watch NCAA Division 2 on TV there is more excitement. They are small, plain stadiums that are packed. I'd rather sit on bleachers in a packed USF BULLS stadium than look at 40,000 red and pewter seats every time I go.

People can complain about all the other things but if you can't even get the student section filled up you have a tremendous problem. Tradition starts within. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, Thebullsfan said:

Friggin classic movie...I still remember a few lines lol

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1