• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football & Tampa Bay

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

No doubt scheduling impacts attendance. But I was really surprised when FSU came to town. I thought for sure it would be sold out, etc. And it wasn't. (I wonder if that guy I saw at then entrance was able to dump his tickets. Funny.) And it was a noon game, hot as hell, blah, blah... Yes, it was hot. But that shouldn't have kept folks away.

Tampa Bay showed up for the first-ever USF game; they showed up for the that first few season. And there were reasonable numbers until Lou Holtz Jr. took us to great lows.

I have new theory. The face of USF football plays a huge roll. CWT (Cash Willie Taggart) came from WKU. And even when he turned the program around last year and this year, I think the image was that USF had become small time. All the reputation that USF had garnered as the new kid on the block left with Leavitt.

My prediction is that home attendance will go up next year, even with a bad home schedule, because of Coach Strong. Texas to USF, that's a lot of reputation passed on to USF. I mean when was it ever the case that somebody spied at the airport to see if coach was coming to USF to interview?

Tampa Bay is a strange population. They want a winner, but they also want reputation power.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Been seeing alot more green and gold in the streets... I've been saying Go Bulls to everyone I can then followed up get season tickets we need you.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I could be wrong but I believe there was a reporter stalking the plane of Louis Leo Holtz III as he was coming to town to take over after the Leavitt fiasco.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

FSU was just coming off a very embarrassing drubbing by Louisville. That may have also kept some FSU fans from attending. USF was less than a TD underdog and many FSU fans thought they might lose to us as well.

We still had a very respectable crowd, under the circumstances. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

MARKETING

USF still does not do a good job of marketing to the public. Winning will help. Charlie Strong will help. 

People in the Bay area probably know how "HUUUUUUUGGGEEE" a car dealers promotion is more than they know about USF. Why? because it's there everyday, several times every day. They might hear about USF if, IF something happens.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

We had a story the first 12 years.  New to football, climbing at an arc never before seen. From trailers to #2 and beating traditional powers, we chose to kill that story and stupidly start a Holtz New era.  That left us as just another small time program. 

Seems Charlie may have the courage to connect the past many still treasure to the present and future.  We need to do something special again and not slam shut our own window of opportunity - should it ever appear again. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

2 hours ago, Brad said:

We had a story the first 12 years.  New to football, climbing at an arc never before seen. From trailers to #2 and beating traditional powers, we chose to kill that story and stupidly start a Holtz New era.  That left us as just another small time program. 

Seems Charlie may have the courage to connect the past many still treasure to the present and future.  We need to do something special again and not slam shut our own window of opportunity - should it ever appear again. 

#Holtzed

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

FSU was just coming off a very embarrassing drubbing by Louisville. That may have also kept some FSU fans from attending. USF was less than a TD underdog and many FSU fans thought they might lose to us as well.

Not to mention the $85 3rd level corner ticket prices ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

I can attest to this. I had a lot of FSU friends and fans decide right after that Lville loss that they weren't going to the game. Some had tickets and got rid of them while others just didn't bother. That outcome had a lot of people uncertain. 

I for one thought that was the worst outcome that could've happened. FSU came in and did a lot of different things on offense and defense that probably weren't on tape. But anyways, I do agree that played a role into it.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

48 minutes ago, BullMSEE said:

Not to mention the $85 3rd level corner ticket prices ...

Didn't know that; season tickets. Wasn't paying attention to all the ticket chatter on here at the time.

That's a good reason as any to not sell out the stadium.