• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I grew to like Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

I like CWT I think he is a class act and a great recruiter. I think the jury is still out on whether he is a great coach . To me the competition seemed suspect . In many instances we were able to just out athlete them . I do wish he were staying to continue the growth for us and him, I'm concerned that the jump for him is to soon . I wish nothing but the best for CWT I was always proud to call him our coach.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Well since the AD is still here, Kinnan is still here, Tomey is available and the whole offensive staff can be retained I expect 45ppg and 12-0 next year regardless of who coaches. Why even bother paying for strong? Just get someone not to mess things up like apparently xCWT was doing.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

10 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

Well since the AD is still here, Kinnan is still here, Tomey is available and the whole offensive staff can be retained I expect 45ppg and 12-0 next year regardless of who coaches. Why even bother paying for strong? Just get someone not to mess things up like apparently xCWT was doing.

Burn slow you do.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

2 hours ago, SANJAY said:

Plies for D-coordinator? 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

13 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Many coaches never change their philosophy period and he gave us the best offense in school history when he did.  Why people think a coach who's shown he can win with two polar opposite offenses and adjust to his talent his a bad thing is beyond me.....

He only changed his philosophy when he was 1 game away from getting fired. Let's see how he does without Joe Kinnan's guidance.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

13 hours ago, puc86 said:

Isn't Flowers on record as having begged CWT to change his philosophy?

Forgotten and true.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

4 minutes ago, Bulls2k said:

He only changed his philosophy when he was 1 game away from getting fired.

He didn't change his philosophy and he wasn't 1 game away from getting fired but for grins and giggles, let's say he was. A coach able to change his whole philosophy in one ******* week and then have the offense go on the tear it has since would be one helluva coach. Sometimes it's like you haters can't see the forest for the trees ...

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

He didn't change his philosophy and he wasn't 1 game away from getting fired but for grins and giggles, let's say he was. A coach able to change his whole philosophy in one ******* week and then have the offense go on the tear it has since would be one helluva coach. Sometimes it's like you haters can't see the forest for the trees ...

Yeah this couldn't be more true. I can admit I'm no football guru, but some of you guys reaching for ways to justify your dislike for Taggart is ridiculous.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that no matter what talent level you have,  you can't just flip an entire offensive scheme/philosophy in a week, regardless of how motivated you are to do so.

You can't just take a whole bunch of athletes who have never done something in practice repeatedly, throw them on the field, and expect them to just execute without a hitch. No one performing at a high level does that.

At best, we can assume they were practicing these things, but for fear of failure or putting his mentally fragile team into a losing situation, CWT was very conservative with his play calling. He didn't yet trust Flowers to be the qb we know and love today. 

Flowers said trust me/us 》CWT said OK I'll let you all do the plays we've done in practice 》Players showed they can be trusted 》History was made. I think that's the best any of us can do to understand what took place. 

To imply that CWT was on the hot seat and just flipped some switch in a week is ignorant at best. Adversely, anyone saying that CWT wasn't  being conservative in his play calling to begin with, would be guilty of looking back with green and gold goggles. 

We can all agree we wanted more from the CWT regime. We should also be able to agree that he, at the very least, gave us what we needed. AND that is mentally strong, talented, hungry, winning football team, that will go down as one of the greatest in USF history. 

- Sad but grateful Bulls Fan

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

CWT has been good for USF as he turned the program around. He left the next coach with a lot to work with. However he had a lot of fails while at USF. First two seasons. No excuse for losing to McNeese St. His initial plan of the power run offense like Stanford failed. Couldn't score points and never won the fan base back. He never won the division. Never won conference. Never won bowl game. These are big failures as fans pay attention to that. To me, the sting of losing him to Oregon just does not hurt that much. Losing Leavitt was devastating to USF while I believe USF will see better days soon after losing CWT. Wish him well and I thank him for his work but he didn't deliver on his championship caliber promise.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Would he have left if we got a Big12 invite?