• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wille Taggart to coach Oregon

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

Just now, Rizman said:

****, this stinks.  What a bad Christmas present. 

I know we all feel like Willie took a **** in our stockings but I really feel bad for his players. They put in so much work this season and trusted him. That's really gotta hurt. 

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he tells/told his players he is leaving... 

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, ForestBull said:

I know we all feel like Willie took a **** in our stockings but I really feel bad for his players. They put in so much work this season and trusted him. That's really gotta hurt. 

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he tells/told his players he is leaving... 

Yup.  Between all of the "#BayMade" talk and Willie's picture on EVERYTHING that the program does (have you see the bowl game marketing?), this is going to be a very hard sell to the kids on the team.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

I can't fault him, but....

It is very possibly just me, but College Football is slowly dying to me. The inequalities of the haves vs. have-nots is quickly taking all of the joy out of the sport for me. In the space of a week, the AAC has now lost ALL THREE of its top coaches. I'm slowly concluding that it's basically impossible for any of the G5 schools to get into "big time" football because no one else wants any more "P5-level" schools. Not the media companies, not the other schools, and not the other fans. Basically, the only people who want G5 schools to move "up" are those very G5 schools and they have no actual power to make it happen.

So the G5 schools are now stuck in a system where they will be continually poached for coaching talent... over and over and over again. This will ensure that the P5 schools keep getting an influx of good young coaches, and it will ensure that the top-level G5 schools will stay there in the G5.

It's all by design. ESPN/Media and the P5's colluded to ensure this. It's a "stacked deck" which in turn goes against the grain of what sports should be about....It is all based on greed to ensure their success. Pathetic. There are negative parallels relating to season tickets, trying to grow the fan base and overall excitement in the area. Programs with a history of success will bounce back pretty quickly relating to these areas but the USF brand is fragile and it will be interesting to see how momentum is affected. 

Edited by ahoyboy

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, ForestBull said:

This.

I feel like I have been kicked in the nuts, I can't imagine what it is like in that locker room. I suspect that he privately talked to a select few of the players and will meet with them today.

It's bizarre, I am sad that he is leaving, but, I really don't know how good of a coach he is. I don't think many on here see how special QF is. How many 3rd and 5+ was the "brilliant" play call just to run for it with QF? The kid makes lemonade out of lemons 95% of the time. This isn't Taggart's offense. Now, I commend him for his recruiting and willingness to play to the strengths of his team, but, I fear that even if he stayed, once QF is gone, this offense will be average. I'd say we bring in a defensive coach that is good with the spread-option on offense and get back to our roots. Offense will carry this team next year, we need someone building a defense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, ahoyboy said:

It's all by design. ESPN/Media and the P5's colluded to ensure this. It's a "stacked deck" which in turn goes against the grain of what sports should be about....It is all based on greed to ensure their success. Pathetic. 

IMG_0713.JPG

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Well, I was certainly wrong on this one. I figured, surely, his resume could do with some fleshing out - but apparently the good folks at Oregon saw it differently. Oh, and to answer the age old question "Who has it better than us?". I think the correct answer is "The Ducks". 

Coaches come and go...now we get to speculate on who's next on Fowler Avenue.

As for 'it's all about the money'. Well, yes - because to equate that game we used to play in the front yard with 'our friends' to NCAA football is apples and oranges. Why turn down a promotion? Seriously? Just look at this board...how we berate and disdain the conference and the games we're stuck with indefinitely. At least when he signed on there was the oh-so-small odds that a BCS bowl/championship existed. Now? In G5dom? Un uh...not no way, not no how. So if you wanna coach at the highest levels of football, if you want to advance your career to the upper echelons of guys who can get it done...it won't be done at an 'also ran' AAC school.

Best of luck, Duck!

See ya, WT...:GoBulls:

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  157

The so called "silver lining".... He will be the first coach to leave for free.  No multi-year contract payout obligations here folks.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

10 minutes ago, ahoyboy said:

It's all by design. ESPN/Media and the P5's colluded to ensure this. It's a "stacked deck" which in turn goes against the grain of what sports should be about....It is all based on greed to ensure their success. Pathetic. There are negative parallels relating to season tickets, trying to grow the fan base and overall excitement in the area. Programs with a history of success will bounce back pretty quickly relating to these areas but the USF brand is fragile and it will be interesting to see how momentum is affected. 

This is silly. Oregon is a big time job. Some of the best facilities. One of the richest boosters. A full stadium. Two NC appearances in the last 6 years.

Its not like he left for Baylor or Purdue.

Big time programs rob from other P5 schools all the time. Nebraska grabbed Riley from Oregon State last year. Franklin from Vandy to Penn state. Wisconsin grabbed Chryst from Pitt. Les Miles went to LSU from Oklahoma State. And of course Saban from Michigan state to LSU.

Again, he left for a job that is really tough to say no to. No sense in an end of the world approach to it.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, rich.sessums said:

The so called "silver lining".... He will be the first coach to leave for free.  No multi-year contract payout obligations here folks.

If I remember correctly since he is leaving prior to Dec 31, he has to pay USF $1.7 million. If true we can finally payoff the remaining balances for both CSH's

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807

28 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

I'm with you on this one. I don't see why someone would work hard to turn around 2 teams, then leave before finishing. It's all about the money 

Lol of you think it was never about the money in the first place.