• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joel Miller's Father Speaks Out on CJL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I stand by my opinion. Yelling at someone in the heat of the moment on the field, or headbutting players to get them fired up is not the same as assaulting someone at halftime, after the majority of the team is already back on the field. Sorry, I just don't see it. I have been wrong in my life, once I think it was, so, it is possible that I am missing the boat here, but, I just don't believe that he attacked or assaulted Miller. 

You say yelling.  But he put his hands on players all the time on the sideline.  Not the same thing as yelling.  Not much of a leap from there, especially the part about "choking" that Joel Miller reported.  Grabbing someone by the collar and lifting up easily causes a choking sensation.  He did that on TV numerous times, I can't understand why someone wouldn't believe he would do exactly the same in the locker room and slightly more aggressively.  The best indicator of future action is past actions.

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Great point. Coordinators are a lot more, and I apologize in advance for this, hands on than a HC ...

I agree on this point.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

How did he do that?

He ordered a players belongings thrown away.  And you know as well as I do all of the rumblings from players that never made it into the official report.  Or maybe you don't since you were out of pocket a lot during that time.  But there were numerous reports of Leavitt reminding players that he took a chance on them and stood up for them before, so they should do the same for him.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Is this a bad time to mention I am pulling for CJL to beat Washington and get a HC job?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Idiotic comparison!

Battery is battery, whether it happens in the locker room or on the field.

The probability of injury from battery by another player is significantly higher than the probability of injury from battery by a coach, except for an injured psyche.

Oh, did wittle johhny get his feelings hurt by big bad coachie??? Tough titties. Man up, son.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Clickbait article

no other explanation to run this story

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

He ordered a players belongings thrown away.  And you know as well as I do all of the rumblings from players that never made it into the official report.  Or maybe you don't since you were out of pocket a lot during that time.  But there were numerous reports of Leavitt reminding players that he took a chance on them and stood up for them before, so they should do the same for him.

Erskin was off the team.  He wasn't a player.  But bad move by Leavitt as it would surely contribute to the narrative.

It was told to me that he felt the tide of McMurphy/Woolard/and "star player" who'd rather not be mentioned conspiring against him and felt like the only way was to talk to those he could trust.  Maybe he was paranoid.  Football coaches aren't always the brightest when dealing with this stuff off the field.  McMurphy could screw with the investigation, without reproach,  just as the disgruntled star player could (and did) as he IM'd me on this board and of which I have the record.

The real problem is that if USF felt he was a danger as many here suggest, why didn't they or Miller/Cohen pursue aconviction or settlement to at least save others?  Isn't that what they're supposed to do?  Do right?  No, they didn't.

Before I move on for now, great excerpts worth reading again about the Lying Millers:

The report states that Miller initially "denied any knowledge of the offense" and "changed his story numerous times" and "at one point claimed he saw a small child (that) may have taken the wallet." Reached by phone Monday, Paul Miller said the incident was a "misunderstanding" and expressed disappointment that he was charged by the same law enforcement unit that he worked for until retiring in 2005.

"I don't know why they did what they did. There should have been a little professional courtesy," Miller said by phone. "You know, they're treating me like I was ... Gosh, come on now. I was a cop for 25 years. I was in the military. What are you doing to me here? Don't get me wrong. I don't want preferential treatment from cops. ... They did their job and did their job well. I'm not saying anything about the officers."

The police report quotes Miller as saying he would "pay the victim back for any losses," but Monday he said he hadn't done that. "How much could it be, like 15 bucks?" he said. "I never even looked at it, so I don't know." According to the arrest report, Miller has retained high-profile Tampa attorney Barry Cohen, who had also represented his son during the Leavitt case, though no legal action was taken by the Miller family.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/millers-father-arrested-felony-grand-theft-charge

Leavitt did not return a call seeking comment, and university spokesman Michael Hoad, agreeing that Miller did nothing wrong, said it was good that the family had sought Cohen's guidance on the matter.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/millers-family-retains-attorney-barry-cohen/2080593

A little more than seven hours later, one to the two focal-points of the investigation, walk-on football player Joel Miller, was recounting what he said to those investigators to Joe Schad of ESPN.

In part of the ESPN story, Miller said:

"I believe that my family's story was misrepresented," Joel Miller said. "I told this to the school when they interviewed me for a half-hour or hour on Tuesday."

When asked, this official statement was given by USF Associate Athletic Director Chris Freet:

"His (Miller's) interview with Schad was not cleared or approved by USF."

The next question would concern the investigation.

Did the internal/external investigators instruct Miller NOT to speak to anyone or any media outlets until AFTER the investigation is concluded?

Usually, that's the way it works and it's the way it needed to be in this messy situation. If there is to be any perception of integrity with this investigation.

Miller's interview has already compromised the integrity of the investigation.

The other "focal point" of the investigation, Leavitt, declined to speak about it to the large number of media members gathered at the team's practice Wednesday afternoon.

"It wouldn't be fair to the process," Leavitt said.

Which now begs the question:

"Is Miller speaking to ESPN before the conclusion of the investigation, "fair to the process?" as Leavitt put it.

In the court of public perception, USF has again shot itself in the foot and smeared its face with the mud of an investigation that has already been tainted.

Another interesting point in all of this.

Anyone familiar with Leavitt's media protocol will tell you that the USF coach views it a mortal sin for a player to give any interview to any media source without his knowledge, approval and clearance through the sports information chain of command.

His players are ALL aware of "Leavitt's Laws of Media."

It is so puzzling how Miller became available and willing to speak to ESPN.

It is standard for investigators ask for gag orders until all the facts are in hand and the results presented.

At this point, it has already gone wrong and that's not what the school signed up for nor seemly not prepared to deal with these issues either.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310228-usfs-investigation-compromised-by-joel-millers-espn-interview#

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

9 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

You say yelling.  But he put his hands on players all the time on the sideline.  Not the same thing as yelling.  Not much of a leap from there, especially the part about "choking" that Joel Miller reported.  Grabbing someone by the collar and lifting up easily causes a choking sensation.  He did that on TV numerous times, I can't understand why someone wouldn't believe he would do exactly the same in the locker room and slightly more aggressively.  The best indicator of future action is past actions.

How times have changed. In 7th grade a fellow student called our science teacher by his first name (We had gone to see him and a couple of other teachers play basketball in a rec league where it started) in class.  Had the kid come up to the front of the class, picked him up by his collar and pinned him over his head against the blackboard.  Message was received by all of us. This was probably 1967.  Play was play but work was work and you didn't disrespect him at work.  No lawsuits. Can't imagine what CJL did was any worse than that.  But back then teachers could discipline kids physically and we started our day with a bible reading along with the pledge of a allegiance in a public school.  Edit: that last line went back to grammar school and was early to mid 60's.

Edited by Bourbon Bull

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

So when will the CJL statue be completed?

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,638
  • Days Won:  3

Well then things started changing soon after that.  I can remember a teacher had slapped my brother once in school in 1973. It was a big deal, and the teacher had to apologize to him. 

That was up north outside of Chicago. About 5 years later we move to Florida and they were still paddling kids in school.