• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New bowl projections

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

The MAC is going to barely be able to fill its own bowl tie-ins and that is IF Western Michigan doesn't get the Cotton Bowl bid. The Sun Belt looks like they won't be able to fill their 5 primary bowls with a 6-6 team. Our best hope for a "name" opponent is for there to either be too many bowl eligible teams from a major conference at 6-6 (not very likely) or not enough bowl eligible teams and then we would get one of the following teams that finished 5-7 based upon APR scores. The most likely candidates in order by APR would be: Army (might be 6-6, but would have only 5 FBS wins), Miami of Ohio, NC State, Arizona State, Ole Miss, UTSA, Colorado State, and Akron.  The teams that are 5-7 would have their choice of what bowl game to play in based upon APR rank. 

Last season there were a total of 3 openings in bowl games filled by 5-7 teams. Those teams were Nebraska, Minnesota, and San Jose State. Coincidentally, all 3 of those teams won their bowl games. Nebraska played in the Fosters Farms Bowl, Minnesota in the Quick Lane Bowl, and SJSU in the Cure Bowl. 

There are clearly too many bowls.

Even a .500 record should not get you into a bowl. To play in a bowl, you should be able to lose it and still be over .500

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

32 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Even a .500 record should not get you into a bowl. To play in a bowl, you should be able to lose it and still be over .500

This argument has always been interesting to me. Why should the public care that there are too many bowl games? Just don't go or don't watch them if you don't care. It provides invaluable practice time for the teams and rewards the players for all their hard work during the season. They usually get to travel, get to eat well, get to participate in fun activities (including community service), get gifts, and get to play in another game.  If a couple of 5-7 teams get to benefit because of their school's superior academic performance, then so be it. I will never understand the "too many bowl games" argument. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

36 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:
1 hour ago, charsibb said:

This argument has always been interesting to me. Why should the public care that there are too many bowl games? Just don't go or don't watch them if you don't care. It provides invaluable practice time for the teams and rewards the players for all their hard work during the season. They usually get to travel, get to eat well, get to participate in fun activities (including community service), get gifts, and get to play in another game.  If a couple of 5-7 teams get to benefit because of their school's superior academic performance, then so be it. I will never understand the "too many bowl games" argument. 

I think the argument is that they're getting a lot like a participation trophy. We feel a different perspective now, because we've experienced that stretch of un-special seasons whose end was the toilet bowl. But really, 6 wins should almost be a given these days. The "other" bowls are great for the kids and an okay celebration for the fans, but it's more like a vacation/celebration game which is fine...but the BCS bowls are the only ones that feel meaningful IMO.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

39 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Perhaps the term 'too many' means a surplus of irrelevant bowls. Why should the public care...indeed. It's not like anyone is touting going to a bowl game as some great feat. "Hey...congratulations on finishing in the top half of all eligible schools. Your mom must be so proud." The days of a bowl game being a reward for above-n-beyond have long since faded. ESPN & "The Rigged Media"  has figured out - using the latest in statistical analysis and employing an army of data scientists - that they can fill an incredible amount of broadcast hours with commercials and games that are....well...uh...they're games. Consider them as healthy alternative to Christmas programming. Be honest, which would you rather watch: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or "It's a Charlie Brown Motel Six Cactus Bowl"? Bottom Line: bowl games (with the obvious exceptions) have become just another game which can't be held against us. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

53 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Agree completely. Never understood it either. Nailed all the points perfectly. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

10 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Perhaps the term 'too many' means a surplus of irrelevant bowls.

But, But, but it's the most wonderful time of the year? 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I love bowl games and watch as many as I can as I know a few weeks latter CFB is gone for another eight months. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788

28 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

You'll love her. She's got a great personality. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213

32 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

The Generican's about to bring some holiday cheer to the latch key kids that comprise the boys and girls clubs in broward and palm beach counties.  Santa will be delivering thousands of free tickets and he don't care if they've been bad or good. . . He just needs to move product to the crappiest bowl matchup in the history of the universe.

• Upvote 1