• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Coverage and the local papers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Wow that guys just summed up the entire tbt sports department in his response to you. We don't care about USF and should use those resources elsewhere :facepalm: hometown partnership my ass. 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, HR Bull said:

Wow that guys just summed up the entire tbt sports department in his response to you. We don't care about USF and should use those resources elsewhere :facepalm: hometown partnership my ass. 

Yeah I was kinda shocked at him not sugar coating, in a way I can at least respect him being honest.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

29 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

He is dead wrong about increased coverage not leading to increased interest. Big coverage from the local press is the best marketing that USF football could get.

Of course he's wrong. That paper is dying. If any of them knew how to run a business, they'd be a lot better off but, they aren't. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  106

The most dysfunctional home-town promotional partnership i've ever seen.

How are they going to be a premier sponsor of the USF football program and not feature them regularly in the sports columns?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

USF's biggest mistake was not starting football in the 60s. We got a very late start and will take years of success to get a big following.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

41 minutes ago, stonedonkey said:

So this weekend after checking out the sports page in the Tampa Bay Times, I was annoyed with UF getting being slapped over the top 3/4 of the sports page with USF's first article in the paper being that about attendance, this was the placement on Sunday:

http://imgur.com/a/hfwXh

I sent this in bout of being highly annoyed with both our fanbase and this papers lack of support for the team:

This was Tom's response:

I disagree with almost everything he responded with (The front page of sports this weekend was the lighting game, which I believe they were down 0-2 to come back from and win late) and early season game at that.  Full time writer or not the consistently throw USF toward the back of the page.  My biggest beef though is the article they chose to run first was piece about attendance instead of actually covering the news of the team... is the real news of USF football attendance, or the conference record, the being bowl eligible in mid oct, the TD record being broken, nope... the news is attendance.    I disagree 100% with his saying that people would express more interest in USF if they covered them like UF... start putting up 3/4 page color write ups about games people might go, wow that looks fun to go watch.. Instead people see, oh so they have ****** attendance, guess it's not that great.

Figured I'd pass it on, and maybe I'm completely off base but it just annoys me to no end.

/rant mode off

I agree with you (in that I disagree with almost all of his response).  

On the day of the USF noon game with ECU, there was a tiny little few words saying that we had a game that day.  There was a HUGE article about how the UF game was cancelled.  You also can't use comparisons like the Storm vs. the Lightning, etc.  That's just silly.  USF is the home town University.  And yes, there was so much good that came out of that game that could have been reported.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  106

Forgive my ignorance, as I am not privy on the printed-media business--but the most sense I can make of a local newspaper is to cover the local stories and sports organizations first (60-75%?) and then regional and national news stories after that? 

I don't think anyone is asking the Times to print daily stories about the Bulls, the issue I have is the same as the OP's--I don't want to see the Gators, FSU, Hurricanes, the Tide...etc with big bold print on the top of the sports section Sunday morning. Just like readers won't want to see stories about the Dolphins in the Monday morning edition.

It SHOULD be the Lightning, Buccanneers, Bulls..etc--everyone else should be secondary whether the readers are concerned or not.

If people want to read about the Gators, then they need to subscribe to the Gainesville Sun.

Edited by Dan C.
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,353
  • Days Won:  4

I am going to email him

Edited by ForestBull
Azmodi told me to
  • Upvote 1